Home Maker Guide created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
ARCHIE ADAMSEditor-in-Chief of the Home Maker Guide
Maintaining a lawn is a tricky affair. You need to keep the weeds at bay. Otherwise, they starve the plants of nutrients. You can opt for gas-powered, battery-powered, or electricity-powered trimmers to get rid of weeds.
Most people opt for gas trimmers owing to their efficiency. If you are opting for gas trimmers, you must have tried to know about 2 cycle Vs 4 cycle trimmer. This guide is meant to help you make an informed decision.
Let us have a look:
Working Principle of 2 Cycle vs 4 Cycle Trimmer
The main difference between the 2 cycle and 4 cycle engine lies in its working model.
2 Cycle Trimmer:
- It works in 2 strokes.
- The first stroke is a combination of power and intake while 2nd is a combination of compression and intake.
- When the piston moves downwards in 1st stroke, it sprays fuel into the combustion chamber.
- With spark and airflow, fuel burns here.
- This generates heat and pressure that moves the crankshaft.
- The piston upwards.
- The outlet valve opens letting out the burnt fuel.
- This whole set continues to power the 2 stroke trimmer.
- 25CC GAS ENGINE: QuickStart technology Engine to make pull starts easier.
- CURVED SHAFT: Curved shaft design makes cutting and trimming parts of your lawn more comfortable and balanced.
- DUAL LINE BUMP HEAD: Avoid interrupting your yard job! Simply tap the head on the ground to feed more line on your trimmer.
- . 095 INCH LINE: Thicker line for more durability and greater control getting those thicker patches of grass and shrubs.
- 16-INCH CUTTING SWATH: Trims wider sections of tall grass in less time. Spark Plug Gap is 0. 025".
4 Stroke Trimmer:
- It works in 4 strokes: power, exhaust, intake, and compression.
- It takes 4 hits and 2 rotations to generate power.
- In the 1st hit of 1st rotation, the inlet valve lets fuel enter the combustion chamber.
- 2nd hit sees the burning of fuel in the combustion chamber.
- It enters the 3rd and 2nd rotation set when the crankshaft gets power from burnt fuel.
- 4th stroke sees the opening of the outlet valve and the release of burnt fuel.
- Features a 25cc 4-cycle engine which powers the 18 inch (cutting width) trimmer head
- Trimmer engine runs on unleaded gas, requiring no mixing of fuel and oil
- Easily release New trimmer line as you work by tapping the trimmer head against the grass to activate the tap 'N Go line release feature
- Have no worries when it is time to replace the trimmer line - the T25 trimmer head is designed for simple and easy line reloading
- A translucent fuel tank allows you to visually Monitor your fuel level as you work
What Separates 2 Strokes from 4 Strokes Trimmer?
The difference between 2 and 4 engine trimmer is based on different parameters. Let us have a look:
2 engine trimmer performs 2 rounds to generate power. 4 engine trimmer performs 4. This means the raw power output of 2 rounds is more as it has to do lesser work.
One of the major differences between 2 cycle and 4 cycle weed eaters is fuel efficiency. In the later one, fuel and gas are not mixed. The outlet valve expels the most burnt fuel. Its working is more efficient.
But in the case with 2 engines, fuel and gas are mixed which results in inefficient working. A considerable amount of fuel lies unburnt.
2 stroke trimmer is noisier. A loud noise is generated on every 2nd hit when the fuel combustion happens. In 4 engine trimmer, the noise from combustion takes place inside the chamber. This creates a muffled sound.
Owing to the simpler working model, 2 engines are lighter than the 4 stroke engines.
The maintenance part brings the 2 cycle engine Vs 4 cycle engine debate to a tie. 2 engine is a simple machine. You can clean it easily. But it needs regular cleaning as a considerable amount of oil-gas mix stays in the combustion chamber.
4 engine has separate chambers for oil and gas. This gives it a longer shelf life and lesser need for regular cleaning.
Whether you are buying 2 cycle or 4 cycle string trimmer, you need to pay attention to the price. You should consider its working price per hour, maintenance cost, and durability.
2 engines are cheaper than 4. But they also have a worse fuel efficiency than 4 stroke trimmers. If you need a long-time investment, go for 4 engines trimmer. But if you need a quick fix to the weed problem, 2 stroke cycle will be fine.
None of the 2 cycle or 4 cycle trimmer fares well on this meter. Both produce gasoline as exhaust. However, 4 stroke engine fares a little better as it burns fuel more efficiently.
2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke Trimmer: An Overview
|Fuel efficiency||It leaves oil-gas mix||It burns fuel efficiently|
|Eco-friendly||No, causes air and noise pollution||No, but causes less pollution than 2 stroke engine|
|Maintenance||High maintenance, shorter shelf life||Low maintenance, more durable|
|Power generated||More raw power generated||Lesser power output|
Which Trimmer Type is Best for Me?
To get the best gas weed eater, pay attention to these aspects:
- What is your budget?
- How long do you plan to use it?
- How much work do you need to do?
- How much maintenance can you provide?
- Do you consider environmental impact?
The 4 cycle Vs 2 cycle gas trimmer guide will hopefully help you in buying the best commercial weed eater. The final choice depends on your purpose and also budget. You can get more information about the best string trimmers on homemakerguide.com.