Top 4 Best 3D Pens: Comparison Table
Best Overall: #1 Best Seller In Hobby Tool Painting Tools - 3Doodler Create+ 3D Printing Pen Review
- [ALL NEW DUAL DRIVE TECHNOLOGY] The world’s first in a 3D printing device. Featuring improved power, durability, and reliability for a superior doodling experience.
- [THE 3DOODLER APP] Get an interactive experience! The app is packed with dedicated easy to follow stencil section and step by step interactive instructions, receive badges for completed projects and photograph & share your creations directly on social media. The App is fully built on iOS & Android.
- [EASY TO USE] Just Plug the 3D Pen in, insert 3Doodler Create plastic, Wait for the 3D Pen to heat up and then you're good to extrude!
- [FREE 15 COLORS OF PLASTIC REFILLS & STENCIL BOOK] This 3D Pen comes packed with 15 different colors of 3Doodler Create plastic refills & a comprehensive activity guide book.
- [SMOOTH 3D DRAWING EXPERIENCE] Get the best 3D drawing experience by only using the best and safest non-toxic 3Doodler Create Plastic Filaments. The Create+ 3D Printing pen is compatible with 3Doodler Create 3mm PLA, ABS and Flexy Plastic only.
For Any Age: Top Custimer Service - 3Doodler Create 3D Printing Pen Set Review
- WORLD’S FIRST AND NO. 1 BEST SELLING 3D PEN: 3Doodler Create is the newest model from the maker of the world's first 3D printing pen. The slimmest, lightest, strongest 3Doodler yet. Enhanced design, easy to manage, and improved drive system for quieter and smoother operation, and endless creation. Latest features also include simplified and intuitive controls, and a new ambient light bar.
- DOODLE IN 3D: Draw vertically. Draw horizontally. Lift your imagination off the page! The 3Doodler Create extrudes heated plastic, which instantly hardens, allowing you to literally draw in 3D, freehand or on paper. Change colors quickly and easily. The possibilities are endless.
- 3D ART MADE EASY FOR ALL ADULTS: From hobbyists to crafters, artists and professionals, 3D creation has never been easier. It's the perfect gift for all men and women. Precision crafting and art is easier than ever with the ultimate 3D craft pen.
- MOST VERSATILE 3D PEN: 3Doodler offers the widest range of plastics, no mess, safe and non-toxic. It's the only 3D Art tool with changeable nozzles and unique accessories. Plus, you'll find hundreds of FREE 3Doodler stencils available online for family friendly inspiration. Draw in 3D for hours!
- NO RISK PURCHASE, COMPLETE 3D SET: 360 days FREE replacement policy and unrivaled 24-hour global customer service. THE BOX INCLUDES: 3Doodler Create 3D Pen, 50 FREE Plastic Strands in a selection of multiple colors and materials, Power Adapter, Quick Start Guide, Tools & a ton of creative potential!
Ergonomic Shape: MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen Review
- Watch imagination come to life with the Professional 3D Pen
- Adjustable feed lets you regulate speed & flow for optimal control of material while you're drawing
- Temperature is adjustable in 1 degree increments from 130 to 240 C, for optimal fine-tuning
- Large, OLED display lets you monitor temperature of material to help you achieve a wide variety of effects
- Kit includes 3 colors of ABS plastic filament A/C adapter and slim, ergonomic touch pen with 1 year limited warranty
Great Ultrasonic Sealed Nozzle: MYNT3D Super 3D Pen Review
- Turn your ordinary drawings into 3D works of art
- Stepless speed slider lets you regulate flow for optimal control of material while you're drawing
- New for 2019: ultrasonic sealed nozzle is nearly clog-proof and provides market leading durability
- The Super 3D Printing Pen is great for kids, artists and engineers of all ages
- Kit includes 3 colors of ABS plastic filament A/C adapter and slim, ergonomic touch pen with 1 year limited warranty
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best 3D Pens
What Is The 3D Pen?
It is a compact device that allows you to create bulk items manually. It provides the ability to draw with unique materials (plastic threads or photopolymer) directly in the air, forming the object. The materials pass through the nozzle in almost liquid form and freeze, creating a three-dimensional product. We’ll describe next in more detail, the principle of operation of the device and its varieties.
How To Use The 3D Pen?
The best 3D model is “charged” not with ink, but with plastic, more precisely with plastic thread, which is passed through the hole and sent to the tip. Therein, the plastic is melted under the influence of temperature (240 ° C), and the output is an elastic thread, which you can use to “draw” anything you want. 3D pens have temperature control, for drawing small objects and small parts, you need to melt the plastic well, and for significant elements, you need a lower temperature. Plastic freezes quickly enough and has a large selection of colors, which opens up opportunities for creativity and imagination.
What To Make With The 3D Pen?
Tools for drawing volumetric objects offer great opportunities for creativity. It can create toys, souvenirs, all sorts of patterns to decorate things and interior. Also, the device will be useful at home for the repair of plastic products. If items become damaged, you can buy a plastic thread of suitable color to restore it without contacting the workshop quickly. Using the device, you can create layouts for presentations that involve the use of small and thin parts.
These devices allow you to create any complex shape objects. Therefore, they have found their application everywhere – in children’s creativity, everyday life, research laboratories, industrial enterprises, in the business of selling souvenirs that the seller can make directly in front of the customer. Undoubtedly, this tool significantly expands the horizons of creativity. More so, it is easy to buy in a store or on the Internet.
How Much Does The 3D Pen Cost?
The cost varies from $30 to $120. The price range is due to two categories: “hot” and “cold”. The cost of the latter is several times higher than the value of the more familiar and common “hot”.
Devices from $30 to $40, as a rule, do not have a display (or there is an LCD), their weight is up to 40 grams, and they do not have more than six speeds for feeding plastic.
Models from $40 to $80 are often equipped with an OLED-display, have a smooth temperature adjustment, and some of them can use WATSON plastic for printing.
The one costing from $120 are “cold.” They are safer, do not emit an unpleasant smell in the process of work, and can be powered via USB.
How to choose the best 3D pen
Dimensions of the Pen
Cold pens have large dimensions, compared to hot ones since they have a built-in cartridge. The length of the devices varies from 17 to 18.8 cm. Weight also plays an important role. The smoother the pen is, the more comfortable it is to hold it in your hand. Most often, you can find models weighing from 36 to 65 grams.
The display is needed to monitor the temperature and speed of the plastic supply. The display is of two types – OLED and LCD. They differ only in that the OLED is brighter.
Plastic Feed Rate
The more plastic feed rates are; the more options for detailing crafts becomes. The speed is from 1 to 9. Each one has a different number of speeds.
This can be both ceramic and metal. The metal nozzle is more durable compared to ceramic. The diameter of the nozzle can vary from 0.4 to 1 mm.
In the absence of activity with a 3D pen, it cools off in 2-5 minutes.
Automatic Feeding and Removal of Plastic
To start drawing or removing plastic, press the button twice. It is no need to hold your finger on the button. This facilitates the drawing process.
Can be charged from USB, built-in battery, from a regular power outlet. Built-in battery or Power Bank makes it possible not to depend on extra wires. The drawing process becomes much more convenient.
It is essential to pay attention to the type of material that this or that 3D item uses since you need to purchase plastic or cartridges separately. And if the plastic does not fit, you ruin the device, and it will stop working.
Safety of Operation
When working with a device that is connected to the outlet, you must follow the rules prescribed for the operation of electrical appliances. Also, you should not touch the nozzle of the device when working with hot ones, or you can get burned. A child under four years old is not recommended to use the drawing tool. There are models designed for the smallest from 4 years. When buying this device, it is worth paying attention to the recommended age of the child who will use it. Parents must ensure that the child does not get burned, does not damage the wire from the device to the outlet. This applies to those that use ABS, PLA, and PRO plastic. Pens that draw with plastic KID cannot burn you.
The cost varies. However, if the pen is not expensive, it does not mean that it is terrible. Just by technical features, it is inferior to more expensive models.
It is of utmost importance to note that, on the market, there are enough fakes of the most popular drawing devices. The most common is the 3doodler models.
This is one of the essential parameters worth paying attention to. Comments by users of this device can tell a lot about a particular model. It is also worth relying on the opinion of an experienced operator – the seller.
Best 3D Pens Types
Best 3d Pens Come In Two Forms:
- “Hot” type (using plastic threads). This one draws with plastic; it works from electricity and requires careful handling.
- “Cold” type (using photopolymer resins). This type draws with a liquid resin; it is equipped with a battery and a UV emitter, making it safer to use.
Hot 3D Pens
This type must be connected to the mains. They can be powered from a standard outlet, a computer, and from a portable charger. Plastic is a thread with a diameter of 1.75 mm. Before you insert the elastic thread in the socket, you need to set the desired temperature. This can be different, depending on the type of plastic:
- ABS – 210 – 240 degrees;
- PLA – 180 – 220 degrees;
- PRO – 200 – 220 degrees;
- KID – 75 – 95 degrees.
After selecting the temperature, wait until the pen heats up. You can follow the heating by the green indicator that has turned on, or the maximum value that you have selected appears on display. It is essential that, before you insert the plastic thread into the socket, cut it at the end with scissors so that there are no bends. This will prevent the device from clogging. Once the plastic thread is inserted, click on the plastic feed button and start drawing. Molten plastic will begin to exit the nozzle. Start painting in the air or on the surface. Remember that the tip may heat up (not in all models). Be careful to get burned if touched. Upon completion of the drawing, you need to pull the elastic thread by pressing the plastic removal button. The plastic will automatically start coming out of the socket, unplug the handle from the power supply and allow it to cool completely; then it can be removed.
According to the Review, the Main Benefits of This Type Are:
- Large assortment: the ability to draw in space and on paper;
- Comfortable ergonomics controls
- A wide range of working material
- Affordable prices
- Crafts are durable and colorful.
Among the Disadvantages Mentioned in the 3D Pen Review Are:
- You can get burned. Children should draw under the supervision of adults.
- Limited drawing by plastic length.
Cool 3D Pens
This type of 3D pens does not have a heating element, unlike the one, which draw with hot plastic. A photopolymer comes through the nozzle. It hardens under the influence of the ultraviolet light source built into the device. As a rule, ink hardening occurs instantly. Several ultraviolet diodes act as a source of ultraviolet light. In operation, it uses ink cartridges with polymers. Photopolymers compare favorably with plastic in that they can be colored, elastic, and luminescent, as well as magnetic, and there are also thermo polymers that change color depending on the ambient temperature. However, precautions should be observed here. For example, when using cold variation, it is recommended to wear special glasses that protect the eyes from ultraviolet radiation. Also, the absence of a heating element makes the presence of a noisy fan unnecessary and eliminates the inhalation of toxic plastic fumes (in particular, hot plastic). The 3D pen does not have to be connected to the power supply or the USB port during operation since they are capable of operating from the internal battery. The built-in battery is usually enough for a couple of hours of continuous work, and the charge indicator of the device will tell you when it’s time to connect to the micro USB. To change the consumables, replace the ink cartridge capsule.
Ultraviolet 3D Pens Can Work in Three Modes:
- Extrusion of a photopolymer with UV-diodes turned on – the polymer is squeezed out of the handle, highlighted with ultraviolet and freezes
- Extrusion of a polymer without including a source of ultraviolet (UV) radiation — the necessary amount of photopolymer is squeezed out, and a form is created, then the light is turned on,
- Turning on the LEDs without extruding the polymer – this mode allows you to turn on only the source of UV, without feeding the photopolymer.
- With an ultraviolet model, you can always first squeeze out the photopolymer and give it the desired shape. For example, using specially designed tools, or a regular toothpick or screwdriver, and then lights the finished workpiece with ultraviolet light.
The 3D Pen Review Proves That the Main Benefits Are:
- Lack of heating elements;
- Fully autonomous work, due to the in-built battery;
- A wide selection of ink (photopolymers).
Disadvantages That Were Noticed in the 3D Pen Review Include:
- High cost, there are models with low prices, but they are inferior in quality to “hot pens”;
- The large size, inconvenient to hold in children’s hand;
- Crafts are fragile and dull;
- Unpleasant smell;
- The UV radiation in large quantities, harmful to eyesight.
Verdict and our recommendation for 2020
Modern advanced models of the third and fourth generation will undoubtedly please with their functions and subtleties both amateurs and professionals of three-dimensional drawing. Different manufacturers offer devices for drawing three-dimensional shapes. Several models from our list won good reviews from consumers. They have become popular due to its quality and ease of use. However, we at homemakerguide believe that 3Doodler Create+ 3D Printing Pen is the personification of the entire market. Consumers choose it for the unique design of the whole line. All models are created according to the latest trends in advanced technology. It is compact and easy to use. Among other benefits are affordable prices, durability, and quality of parts, adjustable plastic feed rate, a large number of color solutions, the adjustable temperature for heating, informational diode indicators, and quick response to user requests. It is thus not gainsaying that all products are certified!
- 1 Top 4 Best 3D Pens: Comparison Table
- 1.1 Best Overall: #1 Best Seller In Hobby Tool Painting Tools - 3Doodler Create+ 3D Printing Pen Review
- 1.2 For Any Age: Top Custimer Service - 3Doodler Create 3D Printing Pen Set Review
- 1.3 Ergonomic Shape: MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen Review
- 1.4 Great Ultrasonic Sealed Nozzle: MYNT3D Super 3D Pen Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best 3D Pens
- 2.1 What Is The 3D Pen?
- 2.2 How To Use The 3D Pen?
- 2.3 What To Make With The 3D Pen?
- 2.4 How Much Does The 3D Pen Cost?
- 2.5 How to choose the best 3D pen
- 2.6 Best 3D Pens Types
- 3 Verdict and our recommendation for 2020