- 1 TOP 10 best band saw: Comparison Chart
- 1.1 Best Overall: Durable + Versatile - Dewalt Portable Band Saw Review
- 1.2 For One-Hand Cuts: Economical Pick - Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12 Cordless Review
- 1.3 For Professionals: Jet JWBS-14DXPRO 14-inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit Review
- 1.4 For Metal Cutting: Makita XBP02Z 18V LXT Cordless Portable Lithium-ion Band Saw Review
- 1.5 Good Benchtop Band Saw: WEN 3962 Two-speed Band Saw Review
- 1.6 Deluxe Free Standing Band Saw: Shop Fox W1706 Review
- 1.7 Small Band Saw: Rikon 10-305 Band Saw Review
- 1.8 Spacious Work Space: WEN 3959 2.5-amp 9-inch Benchtop Band Saw Review
- 1.9 Easy Metal Cutting: WEN 3975T Benchtop Band Saw Review
- 1.10 Compact: Skil 3386-01 2.5-amp 9-inch Band Saw Review
- 2 Buyer's Guide: All You Need to Know About the best band saw
- 2.1 What are band saws good for?
- 2.2 Scroll Saw vs. Band Saw — What's the Difference?
- 2.3 The benefits of using a band saw.
- 2.4 How to Choose the best band saw?
- 2.5 Best band saw types
- 3 Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
TOP 10 best band saw: Comparison Chart
Read through the comparison chart we put together intending to bring all the top 10 products to enable easy comparison.
Best Overall: Durable + Versatile - Dewalt Portable Band Saw Review
10 amp variable speed motor is just the machine designed to withstand the most robust use at job sites makes it the best variable speed band saw. Different speeds can be applied for cutting various materials makes this product a versatile one. It also comes with an ergonomic design to facilitate ease of use even while cutting the hardest materials. The LED light is conveniently placed to provide you a better view of the workpiece even in poorly lit work environments. The integrated handle will help you to hang the saw at a safe place without having to put it down all the time.
Deep cut portable band saw with comfortable grip is a perfect handheld band saw that is suitable for use at job sites and homes as well.
Why We Like It
- Increased blade life due to accurate blade tracking adjustment
- Material specific and application-specific cutting performance
- Speed ranging from 100 sfm to 350 sfm
- Serviceable steel shroud and rubber bumpers for long-lasting use
For One-Hand Cuts: Economical Pick - Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12 Cordless Review
The compact and lightweight band saw comes in a hard-plastic case that holds the tool,2 XC volt batteries, charger, and up to three extra blades. You will have to pay for the spare blades, and it is advisable to have them. This rechargeable battery-powered band saw lasts for up to 150 cuts per charge. It is suitable for one-hand cuts. Powerful motor ¾ inch EMT in as less than 3 seconds. This best band saw works on a 12V and comes with a 5-year warranty.
Specially designed for one-hand use, this best band saw is compatible for use at worksites as it adheres to all safety rules.
Why We Like It
- 1-5/8-inch cut capacity for a wide range of applications
- An LED light highlights the cut line
- OSHAThe compact guarding requirements for safety
- Adjustable blade tracking
For Professionals: Jet JWBS-14DXPRO 14-inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit Review
12-inch in-built resaw the perfect one if you are seeking a band saw for cutting large wood pieces. You can bank upon this 14-inch deluxe pro band saw for accurate and clean cuts due to high tension spring design. The retractable blade guard moves up and down from 0 to 12 inches making it ideal for both small and large workpieces. Sturdy 15x15 inch table can tilt up to 10 and 45 degrees, making it a flexible tool for each of your projects. This instrument also features an ideal buy for a 12-inch band saw category.
Use this two-speed ply V belt drive system band saw to give you precise and accurately cut wood pieces.
Why We Like It
- Rigid cast-iron frame for powerful performance
- Easy-View window to know the position of the blade
- Upper and lower ball bearing guides to reduce friction
- Enclosed stand for storage of materials
For Metal Cutting: Makita XBP02Z 18V LXT Cordless Portable Lithium-ion Band Saw Review
High torque Makita built motor delivers faster metal cutting power of up to 530 FPM for a variety of metals. This lithium-ion battery charges quicker and gives a decent battery life. Long and ergonomic design does not cause too much fatigue to the worker. This cordless battery-powered band saw can used for a wide range of metal cutting tasks and is ideal for electrical, HVAC, installation, metal building, metal fabrication, and plumbing works. It also comes with built-in LED light to illuminate the work area.
This handheld metal band saw is not a very bulky tool to cut a variety of metals, and external batteries provide for good battery life.
- Two-action trigger switch for power ensures the safety
- Variable speed dial to adjust the speed of the motor
- Over-torque motor protection warning for durability
- Rubberized soft grip handle for increased comfort
- Battery and charger are not included in the tool
Good Benchtop Band Saw: WEN 3962 Two-speed Band Saw Review
Powerful 3.5-amp motors can glide through any material with ease giving you precise and intricate cuts as deep as 6 inches. Like many other models, this bandsaw also works at two different speeds of 1520 and 2620 FPM that gives you the option of adjusting the speed based on the workpieces. The ball bearings support the smooth functioning of the 10-inch wheels providing seamless and long-lasting service. Easy to assemble stand gives the required elevation without compromising space.
Apart from the manual speed adjustments required, it appears to be the best budget band saw in the 10-inch band saw category.
- 3 in 1 dust port to collect all types of dust
- Ability to create angled cuts with beveling from 0 to 45 degrees
- A high-performance machine at a competitive price
- Comes with attached light with a separate control
- Speed adjustment is manual by removing the belt
- Toss-up light can cause issues while working
Deluxe Free Standing Band Saw: Shop Fox W1706 Review
Spacious 14x14 cutting table and storage cabinet provides for a cleaner workspace. 1 HP motor allows a blade speed of 1500 and 3200 FPM, powerful enough to cut through 6-inch pieces. You can also get an additional extension that is capable of cutting 12-inch pieces. It comes with all additional accessories such as aluminum rip fence and miter gauge. This cutting machinery is on the higher end when it comes to the price as it has high-quality iron cast wheels, frame, and table.
It is definitely an expensive option considering other variants in the market. The extra price is for its sturdy and high-quality make qualifying it as a versatile stationary band saw.
- Comes with a two-year warranty
- Easy to read scale to enable precise and accurate cut pieces
- 4-inch dust port to keep your workshop clean
- Optional upgrades offer great flexibility
- Ball-bearing guides do not last for long
- Expensive option when compared to similar options
Small Band Saw: Rikon 10-305 Band Saw Review
Why spend more money on the large band saws when you are working on smaller projects more often? This bandsaw best suits your softer woodworks. It comes with a larger cast iron table, which is not typical of bandsaws at this price. So, you get to do all your simpler woodwork on a firm and oversized table at an affordable price. A micro-adjust handle provides for more precise and cleaner cuts. The machine also does not vibrate much due to its sturdy design.
Insufficient dust port does not hinder the performance of your machinery but will leave more dust to clean up. However, it is the best band saw for woodworking in this price range for your small projects.
- 1/3 HP motor works excellent with softwood.
- Highly durable parts
- Solid Steel frame
- Removable Rip Fence enables free handwork
- Does not suit hard woodworks
- Undersized dust port makes it a somewhat messier option
Spacious Work Space: WEN 3959 2.5-amp 9-inch Benchtop Band Saw Review
Easy setup and assembly is a stand out feature that users appreciate in this benchtop band saw. The 2.5-amp motor is capable of running at a speed of 2500 FPM, making cuts up to 3.5 inches. The tilting table also gives you the flexibility of bevel cuts up to 45 degrees. It comes with a spacious work table measuring 12 x 11-inch area, giving you enough space for the workpieces. Designed to serve as best tabletop band saw is coupled with a 2.5-inch dust port and miter gauge.
Weighing around 40 pounds makes it an ideal portable electric band saw.
- Adjustable blade guard
- Two-year warranty
- 59-1/2-inch blades for intricate and powerful cuts
- Fence for straight cuts
- Blade tends to drift while cutting
Easy Metal Cutting: WEN 3975T Benchtop Band Saw Review
This 5-inch metal cutting bench top band saw eases your job in cutting a wide range of metals such as brass, aluminum, copper, steel, etc. Ensure perfect cuts on a variety of metals in various sizes using the variable speed ranging from 125 to 260 feet per minute. Transportation and storage-friendly design make it the perfect tool for your job site and home projects. The beveled blade is flexible enough to create angled cuts anywhere between 0 to 60 degrees.
This heavy-duty metal cutting band saw comes with a two-year warranty and friendly customer service to ensure you get the most out of your investment.
- Long-lasting and seamless operation
- The blade slips off the track easily
Compact: Skil 3386-01 2.5-amp 9-inch Band Saw Review
The lightweight cast iron frame gives the required stability for all your small DIY jobs. It is an excellent tool for beginners who are just learning how to use a band saw. The user-friendly tool has easy controls and comes with a large scale for easier readings. Keep in mind that this lightweight tool with 0.4 HP motor is designed for smaller jobs and use it for your small woodworks and crafts. This ease to use and not so heavy machine makes it an ideal wood band saw.
Small jobs on wood can be done with high perfection using this portable band saw table.
- Rip fence for straight and accurate cuts
- LED work light for a better view
- Better alignment of the blade using the EZ View blade
- Dust port for dust-free work area
- One-speed engine
- Not suitable for larger jobs
The comparison table given above is a handy guide of the various options available. To know more details and unique features of each best band saw, read our detailed band saw reviews.
Buyer's Guide: All You Need to Know About the best band saw
The band saw reviews we have provided, give you all the required insight on how these variants on the market stand out from the rest. You should be able to arrive at your choice according to your needs and type of work from the best band saw brands, no matter it is a professional bandsaw, or best cordless band saw.
What are band saws good for?
The best uses of a band saw come in woodwork, where it is used to cut irregular shapes. You can also use it to cut curves in thick wood pieces to cross-cut short prices and rip lumber. Depending on the make, you can also apply to cut different metals.
Scroll Saw vs. Band Saw — What's the Difference?
The main difference between the two types of saw stems from their movement. While scroll saw blades move up and down to makes the cuts, the band saw often move in one downward direction to provide more deep cuts.
Scroll saws are more for intricate and detailed work.
Band saws are more powerful to deal with thick and long materials.
The benefits of using a band saw.
- Helps you make straight cuts — the unique design, work table, rip fence and miter gauge all put together to give you straight and clean cuts in different types of materials.
- Eliminates the Need for Too Much Muscle Power — You can make your job of cutting wood or any other material easy without much effort and strain.
- Surfer cutting — Easy to read scale provides for high precision and perfect cuts even in the most robust material similar to the best table saw available in the market.
- Less wastage — Narrow blades in the band saw results in less wastage during the cutting process compared to circular saws.
How to Choose the best band saw?
Choosing the right and saw is not a complicated process if we consider the factors mentioned below before you start scanning through the various options.
Expertise or Skill Level
Level of expertise requires to understand if the worker can handle heavy-duty machinery. There are certain top rated band saws that are ideal for beginners owing to their ease of use.
For your DIY crafts and projects, you can go for smaller and cheaper band saws, whereas your job sites and workshops will require more dependable and multi-purpose machinery that can deal with a variety of materials.
This depends on the type of materials. You can choose the right one based on the kind of materials you will be dealing with.
This holds good for the portable band saw tables and handheld ones. They are designed in such a way to allow easy transport and handling.
Be sure you select the ones with sturdy frames made of cast iron or solid steel for more durability and better results.
Are an integral part of this machinery to help keep your workplace clean.
It is mostly a one-time investment except that you will need to service the parts and change blades. So always go for the make that uses highly durable materials.
Keep in mind the horsepower of the motors and the tilt mechanisms in mind before purchasing band saws. Also, look for one that runs on batteries vs the ones that work on electricity.
The ease of swapping blades
This is a common grey area when it comes to picking the right one. Few tools offer optional extensions or extra blades for different cutting.
Best band saw types
These floor standing models are heavier versions designed for cutting works on hard material. They are also expensive and sturdy assets preferred by professionals and contractors.
Are lighter or compact versions of a band saw that are ideal for use at home.
The best horizontal band saw helps in cutting large pieces of wood, metals, or any other hard materials and is typically used on factories or manufacturing companies
Are the ones which work on batteries or electricity. These are lighter and can be moved around easily. You will need to use best saw horses to support the wood pieces.
These are handy tools used for your smaller cutting jobs. This mini band saw is also designed for cutting hard materials.
The band saw safety tips
- Always read the manual before you use the tool
- Be sure to adhere to the safety procedures prescribed for working with band saws.
- Use protective gear, as suggested by OSHA.
- Remember to switch off the unit when not in use.
- Connect to the appropriate power supply.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
Gone are those days when workers used a manual saw for ripping lumber or making workpieces. Today with advanced technology, there is a wide range of floor band saw and portable ones that make the job less cumbersome. You can create perfect and straight workpieces using this good quality band saw. Making a selection from the many choices we have presented can be slightly overwhelming. However, the intended use and type of jobs for which it is used should simplify your search. If you are looking for the most versatile and flexible option, HomeMakerGuide’s recommendation for the best band saw 2020 is DEWALT Portable Band Saw. It is easy to handle, efficient with different types of materials, and you’ll definitely like its variable speed.