TOP 10 Best Basement Dehumidifier: Comparison Chart
The 30-pint dehumidifier from Vremi is all you could ask for if you intend to use it in a small to medium size basement. Incredibly easy to set up and use with just one click of a button it is perfect for removing up to 30 pints of water every 24 hours. It also comes with a built-in system so that you can attach a hose to it and not bother with removing the water manually.
The Moisture Maniac is designed with the user in mind. It sports a sleek exterior that makes it blend well in any space, comes equipped with wheels so that it can be easily moved from your house to your basement for example.
Why We Like It
- Operates with no noise and high efficiency
- Comes equipped with an effective filter to purify the air
- Up to 1,500 sq feet area of effect
- The filter is very easy to clean and keep clean
What sets this dehumidifier for basement from Pro Breeze apart from all the others is that it is highly compact, easily movable for room to room and ultra-quiet. As soon as the water tank gets full it will turn off and it has an LED light that lets you know that you need to drain the water. It functions perfectly in small rooms of up to 220sq meters in size and can collect up to 18 ounces in a day. However, its tank can hold up to three times the amount that it can collect in a day. This means that you can leave it unattended for a few days if you need to go on a business trip or simply a way for the weekend. Getting rid of the excess water is a very simple task. Once the LED lets you know that it is full simply detach the water tank and pour it out in a sink or a toilet. You can just as easily place it back and let it run for two more days at a minimum.
Why We Like It
- Large 52oz water tank
- Very energy efficient
- Turns off automatically when full
- Makes little to no noise
This next entry on our list is suited for you guys out there that need to keep dry large basements. And for that task, you will need exactly this - a massive dehumidifier from hOmeLabs. It has an EnergyStar certificate and can collect up to 9 gallons per day. Durable and comes equipped with a set of wheels and well-placed handles to make transportation a breeze even if the actual unit is very large. When the tank gets full the unit stops working. Due to the fact that it has a built-in hose nozzle with a drop you can just as easily connect a hose and empty it outside in your garden for example.
It is very important that you keep in mind the fact that the portable dehumidifier unit has to sit upright for 24 hours when you take it out of the box.
Why We Like It
- Can cover very large areas while remaining effective
- Easy to transport due to handles and wheels
- 24hour on/off controls
- Intelligent electronic panel that gives you useful information regarding the machine and the are it is set up in.
This unit from Frigidaire is good for removing 50 pints daily every day. You can use it without interruption granted you place the unit next in the proximity of a suitable drain. It comes with a filter that can be used to clean the air while it also collects moisture. The said filter can be cleaned with water so that you do not have to spend a fortune on filters. Due to the fact that it comes equipped with a full spectrum of electronic controls, it is incredibly easy to set it up so that the room remains at the desired humidity. Transporting the unit from room to room is made easy by the features that Frigidaire has added. The Spacewise portable system comes with a top handle, side handles and caster wheels that all improve mobility. It is also incredibly low electricity-hungry due to its EnergyStar efficiency rating.
- Can be easily transported from room to room due to the
- Spacewise design
- Equipped with an antibacterial mesh that lowers airborne bacteria
- 24.65 inches x 11.32 inches x 16.08 inches
- Two fan speeds to suit any environment
- Due to the design that all small dehumidifiers have some of the parts tend to break down with continuous use. The warranty takes care of this issue, however.
Yaufey Dehumidifier comes equipped with a powerful compressor that can collect up to 4 gallons of water daily. We must compare it to the average dehumidifier that comes in this size and can only collect 9 ounces per day. The higher price paid for the brand and performance is more than justified. As any electronic that you have around the house yaufey dehumidifier has intuitive controls. It has an intelligent control panel that allows you to control every single function in one place. Figure out your ideal moisture settings and just let it run. Once it gets full you have to options - to manually remove the water and start it up again or connect a hose to its drainage. The good news is that yaufey includes a 2-meter long hose with their dehumidifier. If you have read the article so far you know that most manufacturers do not include a hose with their dehumidifiers. If you are in the market for the best dehumidifier for basement and you aren’t just trying to get a cheap ineffective one than the 30-pint dehumidifier from yaufey is a match for you.
- Both automatic and manual drain options available
- The packaging includes a 6.5ft hoes
- The display shows you the exact current humidity in the room
- 4 gallon per day capacity
- You can only empty the water tank if the dehumidifier is not working
While it may be the smallest on our list it is still highly effective at removing humidity from small basements. Due to its size, it is perfect for moving around your house and is easy to set up anywhere because it takes virtually no space. It is still highly effective as it can remove up to 250ml of water per day and can store twice that amount. A very handy red light pops up when the water tank is full. For the best results, you need to place it in a humid room of about 150sq meters. You can even take it with you when traveling to keep your caravan airborne bacteria-free. It is just as effective when used in your garage or on your boat. It makes virtually no noise and it measures only 6.5 x 5.3 x 11.5 inches. If you do not want your room to have an unpleasant smell and you want your living space to not interfere with your health than a SEAVON mini dehumidifier may be just the solution for you.
- Incredibly easy to keep clean due to its reduced size
- Only 2.4 pounds in weight
- Comes with a two-year warranty
- It will not be able to collect water in larger rooms
Can a quiet dehumidifier be highly effective and also maintain incredibly low levels of noise? The Honati dehumidifier can do just that. The noise it makes is below 60dB and it is very linear without any destabilizing noise. This makes it a great contender for a purchase if you plan to use it in your bedroom because your sleep will not be disturbed. It is very small and very light so moving it is a breeze. If your old dehumidifier needs to be upgraded, keep in mind that the Honati dehumidifier will save electricity due to its low energy consumption. If it ever happened that your old dehumidifier didn’t stop working and created a puddle around it you need not worry that it will happen with this best dehumidifier for the basement. It has auto-stop when full and a yellow LED light will be visible so that you can remove the water and start it all over again.
- Semiconductor humidifier that has greatly reduced noise emissions
- Sleek and simple design that is visually pleasing
- Works great in a computer room
- One button design on/off
- Does not come equipped with a drain to be able to connect a hose
Ivation Dehumidifier is straight forward when it comes to operating: plug it in, select your desired settings and empty the tray when needed. Your basement will remain cool and comfortable due to the fact that with this dehumidifier you can remove 50 pints of liquid per day. The air quality will increase from the very first use and you will not need to worry about allergies or contaminated air. It comes equipped with a variety of functions that will make your life easier. It is eco-friendly due to its Energy Star certification, has auto-defrost function if the temperature happens to drop during the night and it can auto-restart when needed. It is a lifesaver during hot summer days because it can remove the humidity that builds up due to heat.
- Tech-savvy system
- Four durable caster wheels that work smoothly
- Comes equipped with an extra-long cord for use in basements that do not have electricity plugs (6-foot cord)
- Hose hookup for continuous and unattended drain
- The packaging does not include screws. So make sure you buy some before it gets delivered
- 1,500 SQ FT DEHUMIDIFIER: Our dehumidifier can remove up to 30 pints (2012 DOE Standard) from your home. This is model is perfect for smaller-sized rooms up to 1,500 square feet, or spaces that are extremely humid like bathrooms or laundry rooms. With the continuous gravity drain you can bypass the bucket and remove water into your sump pump or floor drain.
- ENERGY STAR RATED: We don't have to all become tree-hugging hippies to agree on climate change (it’s real) but one thing we can all agree on is the sweet relief of saving a few bucks on your monthly energy bills, am I right? Energy Star-rated appliances are not just better for the environment, but also for your wallet.
- BASEMENT DEHUMIDIFIER: Create a more comfortable environment in your home by removing excess moisture from your basement. Too much humidity will also decrease the lifespan of your furniture, tools, musical instruments, documents, photos and books, as well as shoes and clothing.
- QUIET OPERATION: You don't always see it, but that’s the point. A peak sound level of 48 decibels means you'll barely notice the dehumidifier is there. For comparison, 50 decibels is almost as loud as a secluded suburban street or a normal conversation at home.
- POWER OUTAGE RESTART: If you experience a power outage due to a storm, our dehumidifier will revert back to the last settings you selected once power is restored. We want to give you you one less thing to worry about after you get back on the grid.
The reservoir capacity goes up to 4 pints and it can remove 4 gallons of water in 24 hours. This is the ideal dehumidifier for basements that are up to 1056 sq. ft. If your humidity levels are higher than what the reservoir can handle you can always attach the included hose to the drainage so that you can benefit from continuous drainage. Due to its auto defrost function this dehumidifier for crawl space can work in temperatures where others would fail. It can operate at up to 41 F. It also comes equipped with a very handy feature from Inofia - the intelligent humidity control. You can preset the unit to maintain a certain humidity from 30% to 80% and it will run only when it needs to reach your selected setting. When the humidity you selected is reached the unit stops working in order to not waste energy.
- Low-temperature operation
- If set at 30% humidity it will work without stoppage
- Black mesh carbon fiber filter
- Two-speed fan
- The reservoir is somewhat limiting. Using the drainage hose is a must for damp rooms
Buyer’s guide : All You Need To Know About The Best Basement Dehumidifier
How to Figure Out If A Dehumidifier Is Required
Can you see any mold spots in the corners of your room? Do little droplets of water form on the windows in your house? Does water collect in your basement when it rains outside? Does it smell musty when you enter a room? Can you see water damage on the walls or stains on the ceiling? Is the wood in your home rotten to any degree? Do allergies tend to affect you even outside of allergy season?
If you have answered yes to any of these questions you need to head out and get yourself a top-rated dehumidifier as fast as possible.
Benefits of Using a Basement Dehumidifier
We will just go ahead and list the main benefits that a humidifier can bring to your basement.
- Stops mold from appearing
- Water will no longer collect in your basement when it rains outside
- Your allergies will no longer flare up at random times
- The wood around your home will not rot away
How to Choose the Best Basement Dehumidifier
If you are in the unfortunate situation that your basement is highly humid than you will need to pick a dehumidifier that can remove large quantities of water in a 24hour time span. Check our list as we have included how much each of our entries can remove in that given time span and choose accordingly. Compared to the best whole house humidifiers, a basement dehumidifier provides a more complete action.
If you have a small garage or basement and the humidity levels are not very high you can get away with buying a dehumidifier that is not very large. Keep in mind that the larger models are designed to cover a large surface area and will effectively do the same thing as a small one. Getting a powerful dehumidifier in a small surface area would be overkill.
For medium-sized basements you can get creative. You can opt for larger dehumidifiers as well since you would be able to save energy by not having it work continuously. It can be a better investment to buy a somewhat larger model even if your basement is medium-sized.
For large basements your hands are tied. You need a high power dehumidifier that can cover large sq. ft. areas. Getting anything else would mean that the edges of your room would remain damp and the mold would spread from there even to the dry areas.
Performance is measured in how much liquid the dehumidifier for mold can remove in a 24-hour time span. Keep in mind that manufacturers that do not have a solid reputation tend to report higher performances. This happens mainly because it is virtually impossible for the end-user to measure the performance because the humidity levels are not constant.
The dehumidifiers are built and designed to cover a certain surface. Our dehumidifier cheap reviews have the coverage area included for each product. Not to mention that some of them can double as an air purifier for smoke so you get more bang for your buck.
You must make sure that the crawl space dehumidifier that you purchase has Energy Star rating. An energy star rating is the seal of low energy consumption. Keep in mind that performance is the same for products that have Energy Star and those that don’t. The only difference is the fact that Energy Star products are far more environmentally friendly due to lower consumption.
These features come in handy if you live in an area that tends to suffer from power outages. It keeps your humidity settings intact on restart. For some models, it also starts working as soon as the power is back on.
If you have bought a dehumidifier with a pump that is used in a smaller area than its capacity the timer function is godsent. You can quickly remove the moisture by letting it run for a few hours every day. This helps lower electricity consumption and removes the continuous noise.
If you do not want to make an extra trip to a hardware store make sure that your unit will come with a hose included.
Best Basement Dehumidifier Types
Compressor dehumidifier with pump has the most popular dehumidifier ratings out there. They work in a very simple manner. They have a large cold surface inside that collects the warm and damp air that in turn turns to liquid and drains in the reservoir.
Another type of top-rated dehumidifiers are desiccant ones. When it comes to desiccant dehumidifiers the opposite process happens – it uses heat. The heat removes the moisture and the sponge inside can restart collecting.
They are also known as Peltier effect dehumidifiers and they convert electricity into a temperature difference on the Peltier module. This in turn facilitates dehumidification due to temperature difference.
Verdict and our Recommendation for 2020
As far as we are concerned the best brand and product on our list comes from the Vremi basement dehumidifier system. The 30 pint best small dehumidifier from Vremi has passed all our tests and we are very satisfied with the product. It is perfect for small to medium-sized basements and should be a starting point for a new buyer. Not to mention that this is a perfect opportunity to test the functionality of such a device and then extend the usage to other rooms after you convince yourself of the various benefits it can bring. You can read more about the list of benefits you get from a dehumidifier and other air-quality devices like an air purifier for pets, on HomeMakerGuide.