Top 6 Best Compost Tumblers: Comparison Table
Envirocycle Composting Tumbler Bin and Compost Tea Maker Review
It might be weird to see the most beautiful composter tumbler in the world with this compost tumbler, but once you get to have a look at the tumbler, you would agree too. The brand Envirocycle has made a fantastic compost tumbler- that too, with recycled plastic. It is evident from the quality of this tumbler that the manufacturers have not compromised on the quality. The color black is excellent for absorbing sunlight. In the decomposition process, temperature plays a significant role in how efficient the process is going to be.
Talking about other features of this one of the best compost tumbler, it has very convenient notches on it for you to grab it and move it without any trouble. This means you don't have to put all of your energy in moving it from one place to another. The ball bearings in this tumbler are of high quality, and you would have to replace them anytime soon. When it comes to that one feature that sets it apart from the rest of the tumblers, it is the fact that you can collect the liquid pouring from the compost. Not a lot of tumblers have this feature. Overall, this is an excellent compost tumbler for those people who want attractive features in their compost tumbler. You would not be disappointed.
Why We Like It?
- It has a beautiful design
- It comes in two colors
- Manufactured from safe materials
SQUEEZE master Large Compost Tumbler Bin Review
If you don’t want to get your hands dirty while mixing the ingredients, then say hello to this compost tumbler by the brand SQUEEZE master. Just put the ingredients inside the tumbler, turn it 6 to 7 times in a few days, and you would be good to go. Moreover, the tumbler works excellently in hot sunny conditions. With the proper balance of ingredients, your compost will be ready in 2 weeks.
As it is a dual-chamber compost tumbler, it helps the decomposition process move even faster. Add scrapings in the first chamber and allow it to finish. Meanwhile, you can add more scrapings in the second chamber. Keep swapping the fresh and completed scrapings, and what you would get is healthy and useful compost. Even if you use the tumbler under intense sunlight, it would still not ruin the process thanks to the BPA free UV inhibited recycled polyethylene material, which is used to manufacture the compost tumbler.
Why We Like It?
- Very easy to assemble
- The durable steel frame ensures stability
- Great after-sale service
Miracle-Gro Small Composter Review
Often people complain about compost tumblers are too large and have 'heavy' design. Well, if you also belong to those people, then you would be glad to know about the next product on our list. As it can hold about 18.5 gallons of waste and compost, has durable body and doesn't need any effort for installation, you would have plenty of reasons to buy this composter. Other than that, it comes with a pair of quality work gloves.
The tumbler has sturdy side-locking mechanism for easy loading/unloading. The material of the composter is plastic, while its legs are made of steel. Even the plastic of the composter is thick to ensure strength.
Why We Like It?
- The dark exterior is excellent in absorbing the sunlight
- Hexagon shape for better mixing
- Compact design easily fits even a small balcony
EJWOX Large Composting Tumbler Review
People who want a compost tumbler for their garden would be glad to know about the next product on our list by the brand EJWOX. The eight sides dual compost tumbler is especially helpful when it comes to decomposing the ingredients efficiently. With this tumbler, you can say goodbye to digging and compiling organic waste with your bare hands. Additionally, you don’t even have to spend money on commercial fertilizer ever again. As you can make organic compost yourself with this tumbler, it would be convenient for you.
Another exciting feature of the tumbler is the enhanced aeration system. The aeration provides two benefits: one, the compost gets the required airflow, and two, the whole process gets sufficient oxygen to on without causing any issues. Even when you rotate the axis, the tumbler stabilizes the process. The credit for that goes to the design of the tumbler. Finally, to ensure security, the steel frame of the tumbler has been powder coated. Along with providing a strong base to the tumbler, the powder coating prevents deterioration.
- It has a sturdy design
- It provides excellent airflow
- Mixing ingredients in this tumbler is very easy
- Doors are small
FCMP Outdoor IM4000 Tumbling Composter Review
Before we get into the other features of this compost tumbler, we would like to mention that this compost tumbler is for those people who are looking for a cheap compost tumbler. But other than that, it has all the excellent features you would require in a functional compost tumbler. The product comes with a stand manufactured out of steel, and it has a central axis as well. The central axis is especially beneficial when it comes to turning the tumbler smoothly. Though you might have to put some effort into moving it from its original place, the rest of the process is easy.
The tumbler comes with two different compartments. While we appreciate this feature, we wish we were allowed to spin both of them at a different speed. The opening might be medium-sized, but as it can produce only a certain amount of compost, it is not that big of a problem. While testing this product, we thought that this product was explicitly aimed at people who wanted to grow flowers the most. Overall, this tumbler does not have a lot of features, but that means it doesn't cost a lot too.
- The central axis helps in the easy spinning of the tumbler
- It doesn’t cost a lot
- It is excellent for those who want to grow flowers most
- The compartments cannot be spun in different speed
Goplus Compost Tumbler Review
The last compost tumbler on our list is excellent if you want to create your organic fertilizer. It won't be making any foul smells either as long as the lids are closed. Moreover, with a 45-gallon capacity, you would not have to worry about finding another tumbler any time soon. And though it might be huge, the tumbler is durable.
It has a unique construction that enhances air circulation and fast composting. With this tumbler, you do not need to worry about the clumps breaking. Finally, this tumbler comes with two big wheels, which makes it very easy to move it from one place to another.
- It has a huge loading capacity
- It comes with two wheels
- It is manufactured from high-quality material
- The instruction manual is hard to understand
Buyers Guide: All you need to know about the best compost tumbler
What is a compost tumbler?
Similar to a barrel, a composting tumbler is a rotating drum that either has a latch or a lid. The lid is then opened to empty composting materials (coffee grounds, vegetable scraps, etc.) inside. After that, you close the lid, and usually, there is a handle that you use to turn the drum around. This process mixes whatever ingredients you have put inside the compost.
Advantages of using a compost tumbler
Using a compost tumbler is nothing short of physical work. It may not be ideal for you at first, but after having a look at the benefits, you would find it easier to work with one.
- First of all, compost tumblers are excellent for people who have rodent problems. Standard bins are not metal compost tumbler. They also require significant air gaps to work efficiently. That is why vermin can go inside the composting bin tumbler, and you must be aware of what they can do next. Tumblers, on the other hand, are manufactured out of metal, don’t have to be lying on the ground, and neither do they require significant gaps due to aeration.
- Another benefit of tumblers is that they are perfect for those who have back problems. Although the models with a central axis may require a bit of effort, some tumblers do not require that much effort to be turned. With the help of a handle, you can turn them. This process makes less effort and produces excellent results.
The final benefit of compost tumblers is for those who often deal with a lot of trash. Coffee grounds, vegetable scraps, and grass clippings are some of the ingredients which you can use to compost. You can use these useless items to turn them into nutritious treasure for your backyard compost tumbler.
How do composting tumblers work?
After putting kitchen or yard waste in a compost tumbler, the container generates heat. During the composting process, it generates heat. As a result, the process of composting is moved faster.
Compost tumbler vs. bin
When it comes to producing compost, people use both compost tumblers as well as compost bin tumblers. However, there are a few differences between them which you should keep in mind.
- When it comes to the ground space in the yard, both of them take the same space. As most of the compost bin tumblers have an open bottom, this means they cannot be moved. Some models come with wheels, but this is not general practice. Compost tumblers also cannot be pushed. Though some models allow rolling, so the compost is emptied directly where you want it.
- When it comes to capacity, compost bins have a larger capacity. While compost bins can hold 7-20 feet of materials, composting tumbler reviews can hold 4-15 feet of compost materials.
- The one factor where compost tumblers win has to be durability. They are more durable than compost bin tumbler, hands down. They are designed in such a way to be able to hold the weight of composting materials. Compost bins, on the other hand, are made out of plastic. The reason is that they only need to support composing materials instead of the whole bin.
How to use a compost tumbler
- First of all, select an ideal place to place the tumbler. Make sure to put it in an open area.
- The second step is to start loading the materials. Fruit and vegetable scraps are a better choice as compared to meat and chicken scraps.
- Once you have put all the ingredients inside the tumbler, start spinning it. Monitor the compost at intervals.
- Most of the time, compost tumbler would produce the required nutrient in 3 weeks.
How to choose the best compost tumbler
The first factor you should consider is the weight of the tumbler. Though you would not need to move it from one place to another, you shouldn’t buy a heavy tumbler anyway. But to load and unload it, the weight of the tumbler should not be a problem.
Specific models are large compost tumbler, while specific models have the medium capacity. Depending on your usage, you need to buy one that can satisfy your requirements.
Materials play a great role in the composting process. The ones manufactured out of plastic absorb heat from the sun and aid the process. While wooden tumblers might seem like a good idea, but we recommend not using them. They can harbor harmful chemicals.
As mentioned above, you need to buy a tumbler that is manufactured out of plastic. The plastic, however, should be recycled and of high quality.
Metal is useful if the supporting material, such as the legs of the tumbler is made out of metal. When it comes to the tumbler itself, we recommend not buying one made out of metal since it is not an organic product.
Number of chambers
Though one chamber is the standard model among compost tumblers, specific models come with a dual chamber compost tumbler. If you want the process to move faster, then consider investing in a model that is a double compost tumbler.
For proper air circulation, your tumbler should have enough holes or slits. They should be big enough for adequate ventilation but yet small enough for rodents to not get inside.
If you would like to use a small compost tumbler in all seasons, then consider investing in an insulated tumbler. It would contain heat and create high temperatures, which would make the composting process go easier. To pick up fallen leaves try to get the best backpack leaf blower.
Price is always an essential factor when it comes to buying any product. Several compost tumblers are available in the market with just enough features to help you compost. However, they would not have additional features, which is why they won’t cost a lot either. The higher the price, the more features you are going to find in a tumbler.
Best compost tumbler types
Horizontally mounted barrels have an axis at the center of the spin. That is why they are easier to spin.
Vertically mounted barrel
Vertically mounted barrels have materials that are further from their central axis. They may be harder to spin, but the ingredients are mixed better in this type of compost barrel tumbler.
Spherical composting tumbler
There have been some spherical composting tumblers, but they had some issues. Due to those issues, they were not ideal for everyone.
Composting tumbler tips
When a brand new compact compost tumbler arrives, it would not have the bacteria required to create compost. That is why you need to put some previously made compost in the tumbler.
Make sure that the material you are putting inside the tumbler is shredded to the smallest size.
When you are buying a tumbler, make sure that turning it is secure. As you will have to turn it multiple times a day, you should not buy one that is hard to turn.
Best compost tumbler FAQ
Are compost tumblers worth the cost?
Compost tumblers are an effective way to turn useless garbage into something which can be used in your garden compost tumbler. So yeah, they are definitely worth the price you are paying.
What to put in compost tumbler?
You can put shredded paper, newspaper, empty toilet paper, hair, wool rags, fruit, vegetables, coffee grounds, and nutshells in a compost tumbler. Just put on your gardening shoes, go to the garden and make the first step to clean the nature without any chemicals.
What should you not put in compost tumbler?
Avoid adding pet wastes, dirty diapers, metals, glass, wood, and meat in the tumbler. For fallen leaves you can also use the best leaf vacuum mulcher.
Where to place compost tumbler?
Most likely, in the garden. Make sure to place it in an open area where air circulation is better. Also, place it under sunlight.
Do you add water to the compost tumbler?
Though tumblers should be moist, they should not be wet. Hence, you shouldn’t add water to the tumbler.
How long does it take to compost in a tumbler?
On average, it should take three weeks to compost. However, with some models, you can get compost as early as two weeks.
Verdict and our recommendations for 2020
Now that we are done with this best composting tumbler, it is your turn to make a decision. There isn’t just one compost tumbler we can recommend since all of them are best rated composting tumbler on the list of best compost tumbler. However, if we had to, we would suggest buying the one by Envirocycle only because it has several amazing features and is the best compost tumbler 2020. Stay tuned for more homemakerguide.
- 1 Top 6 Best Compost Tumblers: Comparison Table
- 2 Buyers Guide: All you need to know about the best compost tumbler
- 2.1 What is a compost tumbler?
- 2.2 Advantages of using a compost tumbler
- 2.3 How do composting tumblers work?
- 2.4 Compost tumbler vs. bin
- 2.5 How to use a compost tumbler
- 2.6 How to choose the best compost tumbler
- 2.7 Best compost tumbler types
- 2.8 Composting tumbler tips
- 3 Best compost tumbler FAQ
- 4 Verdict and our recommendations for 2020