- 1 Top 7 Best Hummingbird Feeders: Comparison Table
- 1.1 Best Overall: Handmade Design - Muse Garden Hummingbird Feeder for Outdoors Review
- 1.2 Good Quality: Simple + Convenient - More Birds Ruby Hummingbird Feeder Review
- 1.3 Very Easy To Clean: Aspects Hanging Hummingbird Feeder Review
- 1.4 Heavy Duty Glass: Birds Choice Hummingbird Feeder Review
- 1.5 Great Design: Wild Wings Top Fill Hummingbird Feeder Review
- 1.6 Vintage Style: More Birds Vintage Hummingbird Feeder Review
- 1.7 For Window Mounting: Juegoal Window Hummingbird Feeder Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know About The Best Hummingbird Feeder
- 2.1 What is a Hummingbird Feeder?
- 2.2 How Does A Hummingbird Feeder Work?
- 2.3 Benefits Of Hummingbird Feeders
- 2.4 The Best Hummingbird Feeder: How To Choose?
- 2.5 Best Hummingbird Feeder Types
- 2.6 Hummingbird Feeder Cleaning Tips
- 3 Best Hummingbird Feeder FAQ
- 3.1 How Often Should I Change My Hummingbird Nectar?
- 3.2 What Is The Best Location For A Hummingbird Feeder?
- 3.3 How To Hang A Hummingbird Feeder?
- 3.4 How To Make A Hummingbird Feeder Liquid?
- 3.5 How To Attract Hummingbirds?
- 3.6 How Do I Keep Wasps Off My Hummingbird Feeder?
- 3.7 Is Glass Or Plastic Better For Hummingbird Feeders?
- 4 Verdict And Our Recommendation For 2020
Top 7 Best Hummingbird Feeders: Comparison Table
Best Overall: Handmade Design - Muse Garden Hummingbird Feeder for Outdoors Review
- WONDERFUL COLORS TO ATTRACT HUMMINGBIRDS: The blue bottle is adorned with brilliant dots, attracting hummingbirds and adding glamorous colors to your courtyard.
- HANDMADE MEANS UNIQUE: Each product is handmade and unique, which can be proved by the small bubbles on its surface.
- ALL-ROUND CARE FOR HUMMINGBIRDS: The base is equipped with perch for hummingbirds to rest, and ant moats, all are lead-free and toxic-free.
- CONVENIENT TO USE: Easy to assemble, fill, and clean, the base is tightly sealed with a leak-proof gasket to prevent nectar from leaking.
- RECYCLED MATERIALS: This item is made from recycled materials to help preserve our environment for future generations.
Good Quality: Simple + Convenient - More Birds Ruby Hummingbird Feeder Review
- NECTAR CAPACITY: Holds 10 fluid ounces of hummingbird nectar
- FEEDING PORTS: Features five flower shaped feeding ports to accommodate multiple hummingbirds
- ANT MOAT: Built-in ant moat stops ants in their tracks preventing them from reaching the precious nectar
- ATTRACT MORE HUMMINGBIRDS: Red is a hummingbird's favorite color; attract more with the red top and base
- EASY CLEANING: We recommend washing your hummingbird feeder by hand with warm soapy water. Please refrain from putting your feeder in the dishwasher
Very Easy To Clean: Aspects Hanging Hummingbird Feeder Review
- The feeder includes a high view perch that invites hummingbirds to rest comfortably as they drink from any of four feeding ports while also offering an unobstructed view of the birds.
- Bright red cover attracts humming birds from a distance and is easily removed so the bowl can be cleaned quickly and thoroughly.
- Constructed of unbreakable polycarbonate.
- 4 feeding ports.
Heavy Duty Glass: Birds Choice Hummingbird Feeder Review
- Glass Nectar Resevoir
- 8-Nectar Feeding Ports
- Easy To Clean Base
- Assembly Required
Great Design: Wild Wings Top Fill Hummingbird Feeder Review
- Beautiful, thick, hand blown glass in vibrant colors
- Extra wide opening enables easier filling and cleaning
- Silicone gasket on lid and flowers for tight leak-free fit
- Decorative hanging basket with perching rings allows hummingbirds to perch for more comfortable feeding
- All parts easily remove and are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
Vintage Style: More Birds Vintage Hummingbird Feeder Review
- Nectar capacity: Holds 20 fluid ounces of hummingbird nectar
- Feeding ports: Features five flower shaped feeding ports to accommodate multiple hummingbirds
- Beautiful design: Vintage bottle design provides an antique feel with burnt penny finish base
- Attract more hummingbirds: Red is a hummingbird's favorite color; attract more with the red flower feeding ports
- Easy cleaning: We recommend washing your hummingbird feeder by hand with warm soapy water. Please refrain from putting your feeder in the dishwasher
For Window Mounting: Juegoal Window Hummingbird Feeder Review
- 8 ounce capacity with 3 feeding ports, convenient hummingbirds to eat nectar.
- Brings beautiful hummingbirds right to the window for unobstructed view of birds.
- Can use this feeder with or without the ant moat to block crawling insects.
- Hinged lid for easy fill the nectar, and easy to clean this feeder.
- Comes with a suction-cup mounted bracket.
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know About The Best Hummingbird Feeder
What is a Hummingbird Feeder?
A hummingbird feeder is a feeder that will attract beautiful and colorful birds right into your home garden. Since a hummingbird’s diet does not consist of ordinary bird food such as grains and nuts, an ordinary bird feeder will just not do.
Hummingbirds exclusively feed on nectar, fruits, and softer insects. That is why you must be able to invest in unique hummingbird feeders that can hold nectar even when it is hung from the branches of a tree. One of the most beautiful hummingbird features is their thin long beaks. So when you are out and about buying the best hummingbird feeder ever, you must keep in mind that the container holding the liquid is deep and also has small holes with covers for the pretty little creatures to reach it and comfortably feed.
How Does A Hummingbird Feeder Work?
If you are a novice and this is the first time that you are getting your beautiful hummingbird feeders together, you need to know that
- You must fill up the feeder container or bottle with the nectar or the sugar syrup adequately and not fully because initially, you may not have too many birds to feed and end up spoiling the nectar.
- You must seal the top of the feeder container properly so that the only way that the birds can feed is through the small holes near the feeder’s perches. This way, you will also ensure that there is no infiltration to your feeder from other birds, bees, and insects like ants.
- The science behind the working of these pretty hummingbird feeders is very simple
When you fill in the nectar or the sugary liquid and you close the container or the bottle on the top, you are sealing the liquid thereby dropping the pressure inside to almost near-vacuum. The liquid stops flowing out when the outside when the pressure that is produced by the columnar weight of it equals the atmospheric pressure outside.
When hummingbirds feed through small holes, the air pressure inside the feeder drops; this is the only way that air can get inside. When this happens, the liquid flows out till the pressure inside and the pressure outside reaches equilibrium. The working is similar to an inverted can of water with a tap or faucet at one end.
Benefits Of Hummingbird Feeders
- If you love waking up to sweet melodious music wafting into your home from your garden, you cannot miss having a hummingbird feeder stand or a window hummingbird feeder for your home. Like on hot seasons hummingbird will warm your heart, the best patio heater will warm you in cold ones.
- Hummingbird visiting you in your backyard garden is a great way to appreciate nature.
- Their lovely colors and their feisty nature will have you asking for more. They are fun things to have around the garden because with them around you can never feel lonely.
- Feeding hummingbirds and getting them to come to your garden is very simple. Simply grow some colorful flowers in the garden and offer them their most favorite food – nectar.
- A generic bird feeder will not attract hummingbirds because they do not feed on seeds and fruits. An exclusive large hummingbird feeder will keep them coming for more.
- Hummingbirds are natural pest controllers. If you are into organic farming and don’t want to do anything with pesticides, you must get hummingbird feeders by the dozen!
- Go for the bee proof hummingbird feeder if you love to see your garden in full bloom. These cute small birds are best pollinators; you will soon realize that with frequent visits from them, your garden will burst with colors.
The Best Hummingbird Feeder: How To Choose?
Dimensions And Nectar Capacity
There is no right or wrong size. The correct dimensions of your hummingbird feeder will depend on the space that you have in your garden or backyard and the number of feathered friends that will come calling on you. You can have as many bird feeders as you want and in all shapes and sizes.
Glass Hummingbird Feeders
We believe that glass feeders look chic. They are easy to clean, but they can be a little heavy and tough to handle.
Plastic Hummingbird Feeders
Plastic may be durable, but we are looking at BPA and phthalate-free plastic only. Also, cheap hummingbird feeders are a no-no because you don’t want more plastic in the landfills.
Wood Hummingbird Feeder
Wooden hummingbird feeders can be customized to suit your taste and preferences. You can DIY them yourselves and sit looking at your colorful friends for hours.
Type Of Mounting
There are so many options to mount these feeders:
- Can be hung from poles and branches with an S or J shaped hook.
- They can be attached to the window sills by suction cups.
- There are also deck-mounted feeders on the market.
Perches are not a necessity for a feeder, but if you have them, you can see the birds for longer at your feeder.
Make sure you give your cute visitors enough natural cover from their predators by hanging the feeder close to a bush or a tree. It will afford them privacy also.
Number Of Feeders
You can set up as many feeders as you can! There is no limit to that alone. To determine the perfect number of feeders you just need to build on the size of your backyard.
Hummingbird feeders are not very expensive. A basic model will not cost you more than $5 to $7. If you are looking at glass décor pieces, you may have to shell out a few tens more.
- Go for models that allow versatility for hanging.
- Sturdier perches work best.
- Window models must have strong suction cups and come with additional cups if needed.
- Ant moat is a must.
- Wasp resistance is essential.
Best Hummingbird Feeder Types
There are two main types of hummingbird feeders. While both of them are feeders that will hold nectar for the cutesy creatures, their capacity to hold liquid will widely vary. Use the best ladder for the convenience of installing a feeder in your garden.
Inverted Jar Feeder
The feeder has a very large capacity. It can potentially hold anywhere between 15 and 50 ounces of sugary liquid again, depending on the size that you choose. You will simply have to fill up the jar with the nectar, screw the cover on it and perch it upside down on the feeder framework.
This kind of hummingbird feeder has huge fanfare because the feeder framework is very sturdy and well made. This cleverly allows the nectar to flow to the bottom cover, where your guests can feed on without even a drop of it spilling out.
There is an obvious advantage to this feeder, and that is, you don’t have to continuously keep filling and refilling the jar because of its big capacity. Birders across the globe certify that the best hummingbird feeder 2020 is the inverted jar type. The downside to this kind of feeder is that even though it has garnered the highest hummingbird feeder ratings, it is difficult to have a complete view of the hummingbirds feeding on the other side of the feeder.
Compared to the inverted jar models of hummingbird feature stand, it is a rather small capacity feeder. It can safely hold nectar in the range of 10 and 20 ounces only.
Using the bowl type of small hummingbird feeders is very easy. Fill in the bowl with your homemade nectar or sugar mix and place its cover on the jar. Place this jar on the feeder’s framework so that the birdies can sit on the porch and drink from the covered bowl. Most of the bowl type feeders come with a solid framework of perch rods so that the birds can comfortably sit and suck the nectar.
Hummingbird feeder reviews point out that people who go for smaller bowl type of feeders always do so because they are investing in multiple hummingbird feeders. Once you have one of these beauties hanging in your windows, from your trees, and on the gutters of your patio, you are going to be able to view them feeding on all the angles. You can say how many of them are perched at the same time!
The downside is that you will perhaps have to do a little hard work by filling them up often if you have a large number of your friends turning up to see you that is!!
If you have ever thought, “What is the best hummingbird feeder?”, you will now be in a good position to take a call on which one of the two bird feeders is the best one for you.
Hummingbird Feeder Cleaning Tips
You will need to keep up the maintenance of your decorative hummingbird feeder. Upkeep of your no-frill feeder is a sine qua non too. You don’t want to cause and spread diseases because you were too lazy to clean it routinely.
A cleaning modern hummingbird feeder is easy. Simply follow the steps given below, and you will be done even before you realize it
Remove the feeder from the hook and place it down carefully. If it has any nectar remaining inside, you do not want to spill it. A lot of companies today manufacture it from the glass.
They are no cheap hummingbird feeders, so you want to be careful so as not to damage them at all.
- Use a sharp metal sheet/scrap metal to scrape off dropping on the feeder, including from the cover, perch, or on the hook.
- Dispose of the nectar that is remaining inside the bowl or the bottle depending on whatever type of feeder you are using.
- Wash both the cover as well as the jar/bowl with a diluted mix of soap and warm water. It is advisable to do away with soap entirely if possible. You could substitute soap with vinegar, baking powder, and salt. In case you think that the gunk can be only cleaned with soapy water, try to use a little dishwashing liquid but do take care to rinse it off thoroughly.
- Air-dry the entire feeder before filling it up with nectar again and hanging it up.
- Clean at least two times in a week so that there is not too much build-up of bird droppings.
Best Hummingbird Feeder FAQ
How Often Should I Change My Hummingbird Nectar?
The sugary syrup can spoil and ferment way too easily. If you see your feeder with nectar in it but no hummingbird drinking it, it could also be because of this reason. Change the nectar in the feeder regularly. During hotter days, you have to change it once in two days, at least. On colder days, once in a week is fine.
What Is The Best Location For A Hummingbird Feeder?
You want to keep/hang your feeder in a place that gets both sun and the shade on the whole day. This will help it from spoiling because intensive sunlight can heat the sugary syrup and fermenting it. Keeping the feeder in the shade continuously is not a great idea too. You may not be able to watch your featured friends when they come for their fill.
How To Hang A Hummingbird Feeder?
Hanging your best hummingbird feeder in the best place will ensure that you see more and more birds on a day to day basis in spring as well as fall. Birders will tell you that hanging a feeder two weeks earlier is a great idea, and much later than all of them have stopped coming.
- Step 1: is always choosing the best location for your feeder. Search for a shady location. A very sunny place will heat the nectar and ferment it quickly. Hot nectar can scald the bird’s mouths too. No, thank you; no heated hummingbird feeder for us! But do not choose a place that is too much in the shade, or you will not be able to watch the splash of colors that these little birdies make.
- Step 2: Keep it at close quarters so that you can watch the little wonders hovering around it. Also, you will need to keep checking if it needs to be refilled. Abstain from hanging the feeder too high and in a high-traffic zone.
- Step 3: Bright flowers attract hummingbirds. Colors attract them; they are more likely to turn up in numbers near a colorful bush than a drab wall. You could plant a few flowering plants near the feeder in case none of your bushes are bearing color as of now.
- Step 4: 1.5 or 2 meters off the ground is a good height to let your feeder hang. This will prevent the potential danger of hanging on it or pulling it down by young children, pets, and squirrels. It is a great idea to locate a feeder a short distance from a natural cover like a bush or a tree. This will provide the birds with a heightened sense of security.
- Step 5: Hummingbirds are strangely aggressive and extremely territorial about their food and roosting places. To avoid bullying by the birds and to make sure that there are a lot of birds visiting you hang multiple hummingbird feeders and away from one another. For instance, best I hummingbird feeder in the garden and another one in your backyard.
How To Make A Hummingbird Feeder Liquid?
- Mix sugar with water in a ratio of 1:4. Keep stirring till the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Fill your hummingbird feeder with this nectar and hang it is a place outside your house.
Protip #1: do not add any red color dye to this sugar syrup.
Protip #2: any extra nectar can be safely stored in your refrigerator.
How To Attract Hummingbirds?
- Plant native flowering species. Nothing attracts hummingbirds more than bright, colorful flowers.
- Plan your garden with continuous blooms instead of species that bloom all at once. This will make sure the birds have a big reason to be back each time of the year.
- Use colorful ribbons, festoons, and bright orange-red tape to attract the hummingbirds to your yard; once here, they will see the feeders and will thank you for the wonderful feed.
- Repaint old faded feeder flowers with bright red color paint or nail paint.
- Invest in newer, brighter, and sturdier feeders. Go for the new 3 in 1 hummingbird feeder; it is a rage on the market now.
- Create a lot of perches where the hummingbirds can sit and preen or even see danger approaching or grab a tasty insect.
- Buy mister hoses for your garden. It will allow a small trickle in the hose that will most likely spray mist into the air. This will be too much for the hummingbirds to resist.
- Spider webs in your garden? Don’t remove them. Hummingbirds will not just use the web strands to strengthen their nest, but they also loot all the stuck insects on them. How convenient!
How Do I Keep Wasps Off My Hummingbird Feeder?
- Change the type of feeder. Saucer feeders can discourage wasps because they cannot reach the nectar inside.
- Consider commercially available guards to protect your feeder from wasps.
- Make sure there is no yellow color on the feeders as they are super attracted to this color most of all.
- Change the location of the feeder for some time.
- Hang a brown paper bag all crinkled to mimic a hornet’s nest. Wasps are territorial, and they will respect the fact that the territory apparently belongs to some others and will move away.
Is Glass Or Plastic Better For Hummingbird Feeders?
Plastic feeders are lightweight and unbreakable. However, they may warp, fade, and crack if exposed to sunlight over time. They can also contain BPA and phthalates. Glass feeders may be slightly cumbersome to handle, but they are more durable when you look after them with care and caution. They are easier to clean too. Blown glass hummingbird feeder made from art glass can become conversation starters in your garden, adding a lot of charm and oomph.
Verdict And Our Recommendation For 2020
Before we wrap up, we leave you with the best hummingbird feeders that have impressed us all equally. A good hummingbird feeder will be able to comfortably hold a large amount of nectar and has a wide mouth that is easy to fill and clean. The feeder should also be large so that many birds can comfortably perch and dine. In addition, it should be leak-proof and rainproof as well.
Did you like our best hummingbird feeder 2020 blog? We have endeavored to tell you about everything that your best hummingbird feeder must be. Have concerns and queries? Write to us at homemakerguide and our experts will answer you outright. Happy bird watching!