A properly-maintained garden one is not just attractive, but also beautiful and peaceful. There are several things you need to do. Among them is using the best insect killer for lawns to eliminate pests such as cutworms, bugs, ants, and spiders.
The insects can live anywhere, but mostly in the grass and soil. They stay there because it helps them keep themselves safe from harsh weather conditions. They live under the ground but come out when they want to eat.
These pests can make the place uncomfortable for people and animals. The worst is that they can sting you. The right way to get rid of them is by investing top-rated lawn insect killers. There are various products on the market, making it difficult to determine the right one. That is why you need to read this guide. You are going to learn about the things you need to consider when buying.
Home Maker Guide created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
Editor-in-Chief of the Home Maker Guide
Top 8 Best Insect Killers for Lawns: Comparison Chart
Best Overall: Scotts GrubEx Review
- One application in the spring or early summer kills and prevents grubs for 4 months, guaranteed (Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back)
- Helps prevent root damage caused by insects for a stronger lawn
- Prevents turf damage by killing grubs when they are young
- Kills 25% more grub types vs. original GrubEx
- Scotts products are designed to work with Scotts spreaders
Best Formula: Spectracide Triazicide Review
- FAST-ACTING FORMULA: Protects lawns, vegetables, flowers, trees and shrubs
- ACRE PLUS: Covers up to 64,000 square feet of lawn
- KILLS 180+ PESTS ON CONTACT: Kills above and below ground – kills grubs, ants, fleas, chinch bugs, mosquitoes, sod webworms, aphids, beetles, whiteflies, mites, deer ticks, Japanese beetles, European crane flies and other listed insects
- LONG-LASTING FORMULA: Provides up to 2 months of control of nuisance pests
- CONCENTRATE FORMULA: Mix with water – see product label for mixing rates
Versatile Protection: Compare-N-Save Bifenthrin Concentrate Review
- For use indoors and outdoors
- Can be tank mixed with other pesticides, including insect growth regulators
- Controls indoor pests including fleas, cockroaches and ants
- Also controls insects on ornamentals, trees and shrubs
- Covers up to 44,000 sq. ft.; Makes up to 44 gal. of ready-to-use spray
90 Day Subsurface Insect Protection: BioAdvanced 700288S Review
- INSECT KILLER: Kills over 30 outdoor pests in lawns and around home including grubs, ants, ticks and more in 24 hours
- 3 MONTH PROTECTION: Kills listed soil insects for up to 3 months
- USE ON: Soil, turf lawns and around the home
- KILLS MOSQUITO: Kills mosquitos in addition to 30 other outdoor pests
- COVERAGE AREA: Treats up to 10,000 square feet
Ready-to-use Spray: Ortho Home Defense Review
- Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Lawn & Landscape Ready-To-Spray kills 235 listed insects, including ants, ticks, mosquitoes, fleas & spiders outside before they come inside; plus it even creates a bug barrier to keep them out
- KILL OUTDOOR INSECTS: Starts working within minutes to kill listed outdoor bugs, so those lawn insects won't come inside your home
- LONG-LASTING CONTROL: This insect spray keeps on killing ants, spiders (excluding black widow), and American dog ticks for an impressive 3 months
- KEEP BUGS OUT: Create a barrier that keeps insects from coming inside your house (see product label for complete lists of pests)
- EASY TO APPLY: One bottle treats up to 5,300 sq. ft., and there's no mixing or measuring--just attach to your garden hose and spray; people and pets may re-enter after the treated area has been allowed to dry
Sweat-resistant: Cutter Spray Concentrate Review
- Repels and kills mosquitoes and other annoying insects
- Controls up to 4 weeks, even after rain
- 32oz treats up to 5,000 sq ft
Treats up to 10,000 sq. ft.: Ortho BugClear Review
- Kill all listed bugs, including ants, ticks, sod webworms, fleas & spiders, with Ortho BugClear Lawn Insect Killer
- Use on lawns, around a home's perimeter, and on ornamentals, in vegetable gardens (on listed vegetables) & flower beds
- Fast-acting, kills above and below the ground, and creates a barrier to keep bugs from coming inside (refer to packaging for complete list)
- Apply using a Scotts Drop, SpeedyGreen, or EdgeGuard spreader, then water it in
- Provides up to 10,000 sq. ft. of coverage
Rainproof in Hours: Black Flag Review
- DUAL-ACTION FORMULA: Kills harmful insects on contact; controls and prevents listed major lawn diseases and fungus.
- RAINPROOF: Can’t be washed off by rain or sprinklers once dried.
- FAST ACTING: Quickly kills listed insects on contact.
- USE OUTDOORS: Spray on lawns – for best control, treat every two weeks.
- QUICKFLIP SPRAYER: Just connect to your garden hose; activate spray with the flip of a switch.
A Guideline for Purchasing the Best Insect Killer for Lawns
You do not only have to compare reviews when buying. Find out everything you need to know about the right lawn bug killer.
Insect Killing Preparation
Below are the things you need to do when you want to use lawn insecticide.
- Determine the right time to do it
You can do it either in the evening or in the morning. If you use the killer within the day, it can evaporate, rendering the treatment ineffective.
- Consider the weather
Besides the sun, rainy weather can also make the treatment ineffective. The rainwater will wash it away before it does its function.
It is necessary to mow your lawn before applying the bug killer. Cutting grass gives insects fewer places to hide.
Mowing also displaces beneficial flies such as butterflies and bees, thus preventing them from getting harmed by the treatment.
- Avoid contact
Human beings and pets should never get close to the treated area. The killers, whether cheap or expensive, can have toxic chemicals that irritate.
Factors to Consider When Getting the Best Insect Killer for Lawns
Below are the main things to put into consideration when purchasing insect killer for lawns safe for pets.
You need to know how big your land is. It will help you determine whether to buy the best lawn insect killer granules or liquid pesticides. A big area will require a liquid killer, and a small one will need granular.
It refers to the time it takes for the insect killer for lawns to function. Also, consider the ability to dissolve. Products that do not dissolve in water are better since they will rarely get washed away.
According to Washingtonpost, there are various active ingredients in insect killer for lawns. Among them are:
- Imidacloprid: It attacks the nervous system and kills the insects faster. Plants absorb it from the soil and spread it to the leaves and stems.
- Cyhalothrin: The product kills on contact. It is very toxic to both animals and humans.
- Cyfluthrin: It also kills in contact, and it is harmful to animals and humans.
- Bifenthrin: The product also kills on contact, but it is less harmful to animals and humans.
- Cypermethrin: This brand is very toxic. It kills every pest that gets into contact with it.
According to American College of Healthcare Sciences, there are other environmentally friendly best lawn insect control methods.
- Clove oil: It kills pests upon contact and goes on repelling them after application.
- Thyme oil: It kills several pests, and it is less harmful to people and animals.
The above oils can be dangerous for cats.
Type of Insect Killer
Here are the kinds of best lawn insecticides.
- Spray: It gets sold in a concentrated form. You must mix with water as prescribed before use.
- Powder and granules: They get applied by spreading or spooning. Their advantage is that you don’t have to get into contact with the treatment.
According to CDPR and most insect killers for lawn reviews, chemical products are not visible. The odor is the only way to know that you have gotten exposed to them. Some have good smells, and others are terrible. No matter the odor, it can make you sick.
Here are the commonly asked questions.
Is the Insect-killing Product Safe?
According to National Pesticide Information Center, the best flea spray for yards is safe when used cautiously. Most pesticides are toxic to both animals and human beings.
Should you come into contact with the best grub killer, wash it off. If you inhale it, go to a place that has fresh air. Last but not least, if you accidentally swallow insecticide, contact poison control centers.
Do Insecticides Affect Lawns?
According to Care Academy, if you use an ultrasonic pest repeller without following the manufacturer’s instructions, it can ruin your garden.
Are Insecticides Dangerous for Humans or Animals?
Both people and pets should never come into contact with the product.
The best insecticide for lawns is the most effective way of eliminating pests. As you have seen, besides checking the product rating, there are several things to consider when buying. Most products kill them on contact while others possess a long-lasting repelling effect. Getting rid of them in the garden additionally keeps them away from your house, allowing you to stay in peace. You only have to ensure you follow the instruction indicated on the best insect killer for lawns 2021.