It’s safe to say that most of us at some point had their car’s battery give up on them. It’s frustrating enough when this happens at home, but when your battery suddenly dies en route - that’s even more of a headache. Thus, if you want to be prepared for such a problem, you might want to consider adding some of the best jumper cables to your kit.
Now, you may be wondering: “Why are these so important? Why should I choose the best jumper cables and what do they give?” Well, as previously mentioned, these offer great help when your battery has run out of juice. All the best jumper cables work pretty simple - you use them to jump-start your car. Basically, you connect them to a power source and drain its power in order to then use it to revive your dead battery. Thus, all the best jumper cables are an excellent solution when you need to charge your battery and don’t waste money on breakdown services.
Hence in order to find a very reliable and good option that will store enough power, you need to not only find good jumper cables., but also to know how to attach jumper cables properly. So to give you a hand in such a responsible issue, we’ve decided to investigate and consult with mechanics and engineers, to see not only what are some of the most effective, best jump cables, but also what makes them good and what you have to pay attention to when choosing the best jumper cables 2021.
Home Maker Guide created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
Editor-in-Chief of the Home Maker Guide
Top 10 Best Jumpers Cables: Comparison Chart
Best Overall: Energizer Jumper Cables for Car Battery Review
- ENERGIZER 20 FEET JUMPER CABLES - 2 Gauge, 20 FT booster battery jumper cables for jump starting a dead or weak battery. Ideal for trucks, SUVs, full-size cars, mid-size cars and small/compact cars
- THICK VINYL COATING - Includes a strong spring and a comfortable handle for secure placement and easy positioning. Safety featured of shelled vinyl coated clamp for rust and corrosion protection.
- CARRYING CASE INCLUDED - Our Energizer jumper cables come with a high-grade travel bag for easy transport and compact storage.
- TANGLE FREE BOOSTER CABLES - 20 Foot length makes it easy to reach from one car battery to another. Copper clad aluminum cables remains flexible even at -40°C.
- THE BRAND NAME YOU CAN TRUST - 2 Years Warranty! We are here to power your car battery and truck with our booster jumper cables. We keep you going and going!
Professionals Choice: Cartman Booster Cable Review
- Fits top and side post batteries; Luxurious carry bag for free.
- Sufficient CCA (Copper coated Aluminium).
- UL listed: AU5253. Ideal for use with full size cars and cargo vans, mid-size pickup truck and freight hauling vehicles.
- TPR material of cable, low temperature immunity (-25C/-13F)
- 5 year warranty. (Not apply to tear cables up/ short circuit batteries).
Strong Cables: TOPDC Jumper Cables Review
- GOOD PERFORMANCE: CCA(Copper Coated Aluminum) and pure copper jaw both sides for easy electrical conductivity and power transfer
- DURABLE CABLES: 1Gauge 25FT 700Amp heavy-duty battery jumper cables. Tangle-free design. PVC insulated cables remain flexible at -40F/-40C to 167F/75C
- CONSIDERATE DESIGN: Easy to connect with step guide label, and brush for cleaning the battery post
- STRONG CLAMPS: Clamp jaw designed for side and top post. Strong spring make the clamp hold up terminal well and no falling off.
- MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS: This booster cable is perfect for cars, motorcycles, trucks, vans and SUVs. 5 year warranty!
Best Price: Amazon Basics Jumper Cable for Car Battery Review
- 10-gauge copper-clad aluminum (CCA) jumper cables for jump starting a dead or weak battery; UL certified; ideal for small/compact cars
- Heavy-duty, tight-grip alligator clamps with a 110 amp rating; strong spring and comfortable handle for easy positioning
- Red/black insulated exterior ensures quick visual identification for easy set-up
- Flexible cables; 12-foot length (ideal when 2 vehicles are nose to nose or side by side); carrying case included
- Backed by an Amazon Basics limited 1-year warranty
Well Made: EPAuto Heavy Duty Booster Jumper Cables Review
- No-tangle cable. Copper-plated Clamps
- Heavy Duty 6 Gauge cable
- Booster Cable comes with a travel bag and a pair of safety working gloves
- Perfect for cars, motorcycles, trucks, vans and SUVs.
Easy Connection: FieryRed Booster Jumper Cables Review
- PROMINENT CAPACITY- The heavy duty 1 gauge 30 ft booster jumper cables can afford up to 1500 A instant electricity and easily help awaking break-down vans, trucks, SUV, cars etc.
- QUALIFIED MATERIAL- Interior 150 strands of copper clad aluminum wires are excellently conductive and durable under enormous electricity. Outer rubber jackets ensure outstanding insulation and friendly to bodies and environment.
- EASY CONNECTION- Toggle clamps and copper cable lugs can tightly connect to car batteries and make sure prominent conductivity. Pair of universal Anderson plugs are used to connect extra cables and extend the total length to 30 ft for realistic use.
- SOFT AND SPACE-SAVING- These jump cables kit are ultra soft, easy to put away and carry with provided travel bag.
- SUPER DURABLE- These battery jumper cables can well withstand extreme temperatures and not easy to decrepit by time. Internal copper clad aluminum wires are much more durable than common aluminum cables.
Great for Women: GearsOut Pretty Pink and Tough Deluxe Jumper Cable Set Review
- BE PRETTY PREPARED – Stay safe and stylish with Black and Pink Jumper Cables. Dead batteries can happen at any time, and with these reliable emergency jumpers for women safely tucked in her trunk, she’ll never have to be caught “dead” without them.
- PINK AND BLACK CARRY POUCH IS A MUST – The cute storage bag keeps cables safely stored and compact, so the boosters are organized and compact. Loose cables can suffer damage over time when other items in the trunk are placed upon them. This attractive, black and pink pouch is just what your daughter, girlfriend, wife, or mother needs to keep her jumper cables safe and easy to store for the long haul.
- EXTRA LONG JUMPER CABLES – Short booster cables are frustrating and can make a simple situation much more complicated. That’s why we made sure these pink and black jumpers are a generous 12 feet long! They also include a handy “How to Jump Start Your Car” Instruction Card for quick reference when jumping a car battery.
- PERFECT GIFT FOR TEEN AND WOMEN DRIVERS – This beautiful jumper cable set for ladies is a practical gift idea that teens and adult drivers will love to receive. It’s a thoughtful gift for sweet 16 birthdays, Christmas, Easter, congratulations, graduation and much more!
- BACKED BY OUR LIFETIME WARRANTY – We trust in the quality of our Pretty Pink and Tough Jumper Cables, and you can too! We guarantee these boosters with a lifetime warranty, so you can buy with confidence.
Great for Motorcycles: Emgo Jumper Cable Set Review
- A must-have for all PWC users
- Great for motorcycles and snowmobiles too
- Easier to store and use than automotive cables
- Handy compact 10 gauge battery jumper cable set, insulated color coded terminal clamps for safe and secure handling
Good Safety Features: AstroAI Jumper Cables for Car Review
- Safety First: All the craftsmanships meet UL testing standards. Upgraded designs like thicker cooper, more flexible cable, and multi-functional clamp ensure a safe using environment and better user experience. Ideal for use with cars, motorcycles, trucks, vans, SUVs. Ideal gifts for women and men.
- Fast Charging: Heavy-duty 4 gauge cables with larger capacity, double grip crimps with superior connectivity, and high-quality thicker cooper help to charge dead batteries quicker and safer.
- Premium Quality: Sturdy construction made of high-quality material ensures a long service life with extended reliability. Temperature-resistant jumper cables can remain flexible even temperature as low as -40°F (-40°C), perfect choice for battery charging in winter.
- Easy to Use: 20 Feet long jumper cable is suitable for most occasions, especially for the length between the good vehicle and dead vehicle exceeds 10 feet or even longer. The multi-functional clamp can perfectly fit for different shapes of car batteries.
- Includes: Portable bag, Safety Gloves, and Battery Cleaning Brush for cleaning gunk off the battery terminals; 5 Year warranty provided by AstroAI.
Convenient Storage Bag: Stalwart Jumper Cables Review
- Heavy Duty 10 Gauge Cables
- Stretch Up to 12 Feet
- Color-Coded Red and Black Clamps with Covered Grips
- Tangle Free Design, Includes Storage Bag
- Bag Dimensions: 10 inches (Diameter) x 2 inches (Height)
Best Jumper Cables Buying Guide – What to Look at?
Now, when you want to choose only the best jumper cables available, you need to pay attention and consider a couple of simple but very crucial aspects. These are:
High quality jumper cables are divided into 2 types:
Light-Duty Jumper Cables
This type is very light, thin, and cheap. However, this type is mostly recommended for emergencies, when, let’s say your battery died en route. Otherwise light-duty jumper cables are not the best option. That is because they have an 8-10 gauge voltage, which may lead to overheating. And since such booster cables usually have low voltage, they can be used only with the small vehicles.
Heavy-Duty Jumper Cables
These are good jumper cables: thicker, longer, and supply higher voltage. Plus, they are reliable and durable. That is why most experts recommend considering only high-end heavy-duty cables as they are safe, have good conductibility, and are suitable for day-to-day usage. Moreover, these high are the best jumper cables since they provide the most security and are easy-to-use.
Another thing you need to consider when looking for the high quality jumper cables is thickness. And it’s always best to opt for thicker cables, since they’re more effective in preventing overheat, wear, and accidental damage. Moreover, the cable must be thick enough to conduct a high level of electricity and be effective in harsh conditions. So while the majority of the best car jumper cables offer the bigger high-quality clamps, it’s still important to consider and pay attention to this factor.
Length, Insulation and Composition
These aspects ensure that even the best jumper cables are safe. The wiring must be long enough to connect to the car close to each other, but still on the safe distance. Hence, it’s best to always opt for longer automobile jumper cables.
Another thing to pay attention to is insulation. It prevents the positive and negative clamps from accidental contact and makes the booster cable flexible in various conditions.
The wire’s composition guarantees amazing electrical conductivity, since all the best jumper cables have 100% copper wiring. To make them more affordable, most of the producers nowadays prefer copper combined with aluminum to make it cheaper and lighter. This makes these automobile jumper cables more affordable, but still as effective and secure.
Do Not Compromise Quality and Safety For Budget
Look, we understand that the money concerns are something everyone faces. However, you cannot risk the safety of you and your car to save some cash. That doesn’t mean that you have to spend a fortune on these booster cables, but it’s also important not to go with a very cheap model. Remember, when you’re choosing the best-rated jumper cables it’s a better idea to get ones of high quality that will serve you for years, than those that will break down after a month of use.
Jumper Cable Basic Guidelines
How to Connect Jumper Cables?
So now, let’s take a closer look at what you need to to connect the automobile jumper cables:
- Find the positive and negative posts and clamps. The red one is usually positive; the black one is negative. Otherwise, look at the markings “+” and “-”.
- Attach the red clamp to the positive post of the run-down battery and the other red end to the positive post of the full battery.
- Now, attach the black clamp to the negative post of the entire battery.
- Remember: the other side of the jumper cable must be attached to the metal part of the recharged battery, NOT to the negative battery post (that’s crucial to avoid the inflammation).
How to Use Jumper Cables?
And when you need to use the booster cables properly, you have to:
- Park both cars close to each other;
- Clear the batteries from the plastic hoods and check if they have similar voltage.
- Connect the cars with the battery jumper cables.
- Start the working car’s engine and run at idle for a while.
- Do the same with the vehicle with a dead battery.
- As the vehicle with discharged battery starts, disconnect the car jumper cables.
- Run the car for some time to recharge the battery.
How to Disconnect Jumper Cables?
When you need to disconnect the booster cables, you basically do what you did to connect them, but in reverse order:
- First, detach the black clamp from the discharged car engine.
- Then remove the black end from the helping car’s battery.
- Detach the red clamps first from the helping vehicle, then from the car with the low battery.
What Does the Gauge on Jumper Cables Mean?
The gauge of the wire shows the thickness of the automobile jumper cables. So the smaller the value, the thicker the wiring is. On average the thickness of most of the top-rated jumper cables is 6 gauges.
Thick jump cables are high quality, recommended and are more effective, but are expensive as well.
So to make the best choice here, you need to consider what vehicle you have. For the light and small ones the gauge of 6 or even 8 will be enough. But heavy cars with stronger batteries require a gauge of 4 or 2.
How Many Amps Should Jumper Cables Be?
It totally depends on the size of your car. Thus, for the average small and midsize motor-car, the jumper cables with 400 Amps will be enough. To start a truck, use 1000 Amps. And if the battery still has some juice, 400-600 amps will be enough. If it is totally dead, then search for high quality jumper cables with higher amps.
How Do I Choose Jumper Cables?
First of all, when choosing this device, don’t opt for the cheap jumper cables, since they are more prone to overheating. Moreover, such booster cables give less power and have a shorter life span. So it’s better to opt for the thickest and longest automobile jumper cables.
Can You Ruin Your Car by Giving Someone a Jump Start?
If appropriately used, the best jumper cables won’t do any harm to your vehicle if you decide to help someone. Just make sure, you don’t connect the front side to the back. There can be a risk of overvoltage, so read the car’s manual before using starters and take some precautions.
The Best Jumper Cable. Final Advice
All and all the automobile jumper cables are a must have in the kit of every vehicle owner. This high-end tool can be used on all types of vehicles – from small cars to massive trucks. In the end it all just comes down to what type of the booster cable you choose.
So when you’re looking for the best jumper cable, remember that the gauge is the central feature. Wirings rated 2 or 4 will be the perfect option, as the thickness will provide a more effective and safe usage.
And while creating our best jumper cables reviews we’ve gone through a lot of options in the market. And while the booster cables we’ve shared with you are all amazing options and do their job fantastically, there is one model that stands out from all #1 gauge cables. And that is Energizer Jumper Cables for Car Battery, whom we easily could name the best jumper cable 2021.
It provides enough amperage, combines high-quality copper wiring, and heavy-duty copper clamps to ensure effectiveness and safety. Plus, this best jumper cable has a very user-friendly design. Out of all the top-rated jumper cables – the Energizer Jumper Cables for Car Battery is the supreme version. And given that all of the best jumper cables will serve for about 20 years with proper care, we think this is an investment that fully worth it.