Top 5 Best Kerosene Lanterns: Comparison Table
Best Overall: #1 Best Seller In Hurricane Candleholders - Stansport Small Lantern Review
- Durable 12 inch hurricane lantern is both decorative and functional for camping, backyard, or indoor decor
- Classic glass globe lantern with protective wire, metal construction and red finish
- Includes wick with control knob for fully adjustable brightness
- Metal bail carry handle for easy portability attached hanging loop
- Kerosene or standard lamp oil recommended, do not overfill
Well Made: Top For Camping - Dietz Original Oil Burning Lantern Review
- Brand New Oil Lantern
- Includes Lamp Globe Burner and Wick Strip
- Great for Camping
- Burns for 11 hours
- Beautifully Decorative and Useful!!
Long Run Time: Dietz Oil Lantern Review
- Great for camping or emergencies
- Stands 15 inches tall
- Burns for 75 hours on 80 ounces of fuel
- 12 candlepower output
- Uses a 7/8 inch wick
Great Features: Coleman Kerosene Lantern Review
- Durable kerosene lantern for camping and outdoor use
- Adjustable control knob to dial in the perfect level of brightness
- Bail handle makes carrying and hanging the lantern easy
- Porcelain-coated ventilator helps resist rust and corrosion
- Lasts up to 8. 5 hours on 2 pints of kerosene (sold separately)
Most Affordable: Lamplight Farmer's Lantern Review
- Household necessity during power outages
- Burns for up to 15 hours
- Holds 5 -ounce of fuel
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know about the Best Kerosene Lantern
How to Choose the Best Kerosene Lantern?
Choose an exterior of the lantern that will not get super-heated soon. Mostly, the exterior is made of glass, copper, and brass. We suggest you keep a check that the exterior of the kerosene lantern definitely contains brass. Brass ensures the high durability of the lantern.
Storage Capacity The storage capacity must be picked wisely in accordance with the use. If you are someone who will use the lantern for a longer period of time, buy a larger storage capacity. But if you are planning to use it occasionally as a kerosene camping lantern, then do invest in smaller storage capacity.
Make sure that the kerosene lantern you buy enables you to adjust the temperature without any hurdle. The lumens released from a kerosene lantern range from 8 to 100. If you keep the flame low, the lantern will light the area for 4 to 5 hours.
Make sure that the lantern you buy has all the necessary accessories in place. The necessary accessories include burner, cap, and handle. You can also buy fancy accessories to decorate your kerosene lantern. With the added accessories, you can design the over table kerosene lantern as a perfect home decor item.
Safety Tips When Using a Kerosene Lantern
You must know how to use a kerosene lantern properly. But accidents do happen even after the proper use. Therefore, we have shortlisted some safety tips that will ensure your safety while using kerosene lantern. The safety tips are as follows:
- Never leave the lantern unattended. We highly recommend you, when using kerosene lantern indoors, do not leave it unattended. Turn it off when you go to sleep or before you leave the house. Even if you carry it outdoors, do not carry it with a full tank oil. Carry the lantern empty and fill the tank later.
- Keep it away from children and pets. Do not keep the lantern near children or pets, they may accidentally drop it, causing fatal circumstances.
- Moist the wick before ignition. According to the kerosene lantern reviews, it is said that accidents happen more if the wick is not moistened before ignition. Use cotton wicks and moist them before igniting.
- Avoid spills. Do not overfill the oil tank. Excess oil often results in fatal accidents. Fill the tank with patience after removing the cover and taking off the burner. Place the wick at a 2 cm distance between the oil and the flame. Often to avoid this problem, people prefer electric kerosene lantern.
Best Kerosene Lantern FAQ
How Many Lumens Does a Kerosene Lantern Produce?
The lumens produced by kerosene lantern depend on the wick. Flat-wick lantern emits the lowest number of lumens. Center-draft-round wick produces four times the lumens produced by flat-wick. Pressurized lanterns produce the highest number of lumens. Therefore, the lumens emitted ranges from 8 to 10. Mini kerosene lantern with a smaller wick produces lesser lumens.
Can I Use Kerosene Lantern as a Heater?
Yes, you can use kerosene lantern to heat an area. But it may smell of kerosene and can make you feel suffocated after a point of time. We suggest you to use the best solar light heaters in place of kerosene lantern to heat your room.
Can I Use a Kerosene Lantern Indoor?
We know that outdoor kerosene lanterns are more in fashion, but you can use kerosene lantern indoors as well. Some of the best indoor kerosene lanterns made in the USA are Stansport, Dietz and Coleman models.
What is the Difference between Lamp Oil and Kerosene?
Kerosene and lamp oil belong to the same family, but there is a little difference between them. According to the kerosene lantern reviews, it is seen that kerosene lantern burns more brightly than lamp oil lanterns. But lamp oil is more purified than kerosene, therefore, it adds less to air pollution. There is more cost involved to purify lamp oil, hence, the price of lamp oil is more than kerosene. If you have a good budget then you can invest in lamp oil. But if your budget is tight, then purchase a kerosene lantern.
Verdict and Recommendation for 2020
We hope that this article was able to help you know how to choose the best kerosene lantern. Kerosene lanterns are affordable and also easy to use. They fit both outdoor tours and indoor gatherings. Choose a good quality brand, check the right accessories, and buy best kerosene lantern 2020 that suits your needs.
- 1 Top 5 Best Kerosene Lanterns: Comparison Table
- 1.1 Best Overall: #1 Best Seller In Hurricane Candleholders - Stansport Small Lantern Review
- 1.2 Well Made: Top For Camping - Dietz Original Oil Burning Lantern Review
- 1.3 Long Run Time: Dietz Oil Lantern Review
- 1.4 Great Features: Coleman Kerosene Lantern Review
- 1.5 Most Affordable: Lamplight Farmer's Lantern Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know about the Best Kerosene Lantern
- 3 Best Kerosene Lantern FAQ
- 4 Verdict and Recommendation for 2020