Are you planning to purchase your first THE BEST Mini Metal Lathe? This can be a little complicated job sometimes for all the complicated terminologies. A mini metal lathe is a machine, that helps in carrying out complex tasks easily. Also, referred to as table-top lathes, these are used in small areas where a full- size tool would be impractical.
A good mini metal lathe, by your side, will take your craftsmanship to another level. To save your time from choosing from the plethora, we lay down some of the best mini-lathes reviews and tips.
Home Maker Guide created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
Editor-in-Chief of the Home Maker Guide
Best Overall: Liccx Review
- 〚Specification〛: Motor Speed: 12000rpm Input Voltage/Current/Power: 12V DC/5A/60W Axis X travel: 32mm Axis Z travel: 145mm Max Diameter of Machined Material: 100mm Length of Machined Material: 135mm Working Material: Lignin plastic, soft metal (gold, silver, copper, aluminum etc.), plexiglass, plastic
- 〚Main parts〛: headstock, tailstock, long machine bed, big slider, small slider, motor blade, gear, connection block, belt cover etc. All of the parts are made of metal except belt cover.
- 〚60W Maximum Motor Power〛: Maximum motor power is 60W by using more powerful motor.With 0.02mm accuracy of scale lines, the hand wheel increases the precision of workpiece machining.
- 〚180° spin Axis Z slider〛: Motor case and headstock are jointed. Axis Z slider can spin 180°.Center height is 75mm and distance between centers is 135mm, motor speed normally drops to 2000rpm when using the lathe to machine metal.
- 〚Use Range〛: Lathe tool is made of high speed steel material, which can machine soft metal, nonferrous metal and precious metal. By using central block, the diameter can be expanded to 50mm.
Large Swing Range: VEVOR Review
- 【INFINITELY VARIABLE SPEED】- The mini metal lathe is driven by DC motor with Power: 1.1KW. Variable Speed(Rpm): 50-2250±10%. Taper in Spindle Nose: MT5. LED screen shows you the clear and accurate speed for accurate working. Soft start, change-over switch for clockwise or counter-clockwise spondle rotation. Operate either manually or with the adjustable auto feed rate.
- 【750MM LARGE SWING RANGE】- The bench top lathe brings a 3-jaw Chuck with Diameter: 4.9"/125mm. Swing Over Bed: 8.7"/220mm and Swing Over Cross Slide: 29.5"/750mm offers more possibilities for for large size or/and heavy workpieces. Taper in Spindle Nose: MT5. Range of Imperial Threads: 8~44 T.P.I,
- 【PROFESSIONAL COMPOUND REST】- The mini lathe machine quick change tool post can achieve positions of internal cutting, face cutting and bevel cutting by changing the tool post angle and adjusting the compound rest, moving blades freely with feed rod. Heat hardening lead screw.
- 【SUPPORTIVE & PROTECTIVE】- Steady rest works as an end support ensuring chatter-free operation. Follow rest is used for turning operations on long, slender workpices. Backsplash guard included.
- 【ADJUSTABLE TAILSTOCK】- Taper in Tailstock Spindle: MT2. Rotate the lever clockwise to lock the spindle and rotate clockwise to advance the handwheel. To off-set the tailstock for cutting tapers by adjusting the four set screws located on the tailstock base.
High Accuracy Chuck: BestEquip Review
- 【STURDY IRON CONSTRUCTION】- The mini metal lathe bed is made of high grade iron. Equipped with nylon gears, this lathe machine is wear-resistant, durable, more accurate rotation and professional. Mini metal lathe power of motor: 550W. The full-length splashguard provides maximum protection.
- 【INFINITELY VARIABLE SPEEDS】- Variable speed from 50-2500 RPM. Forward and reverse in all speeds. Operate either manually or with the adjustable auto feed rate. The handness and accuracy of the v-slideways are obtained by raw material, heat hardening and grinding. Emergency stop buttom included.
- 【ACCURATE 3-JAW CHUCK】- Mini metal lathe chuck, 3-jaw self-centering chuck, for setting cylindrical materials steadily. Backsplash guard included. Spindle is supported by precision tapered roller bearings, spindle accuracy within 0.01mm. A free lamp is included.
- 【PROFESSIONAL COMPOUND REST】- The mini metal lathe quick change tool post can achieve positions of internal cutting, face cutting and bevel cutting by changing the tool post angle and adjusting the compound rest. Professional cross slide is designed with abrasive resistance, moving blades freely with feed rod.
- 【WIDE APPLICATION】- Driven by DC motor, this mini metal lathe cut off tool can be used in areas such as mini precision parts processing, sample processing and modeling works.
Professional Cross Slide: Mophorn Review
- 【STURDY IRON CONSTRUCTION】- The mini metal lathe bed is made of high grade iron. Equipped with nylon gears, this lathe machine is wear-resistant, durable, more accurate rotation and professional. Mini metal lathe power of motor: 550W. The full-length splashguard provides maximum protection
- 【INFINITELY VARIABLE SPEEDS】- Variable speed from 50-2500 RPM. Forward and reverse in all speeds. Operate either manually or with the adjustable auto feed rate. The handness and accuracy of the v-slideways are obtained by raw material, heat hardening and grinding. Emergency stop buttom included
- 【ACCURATE 3-JAW CHUCK】- Mini metal lathe chuck, 3-jaw self-centering chuck, for setting cylindrical materials steadily. Backsplash guard included. Spindle is supported by precision tapered roller bearings, spindle accuracy within 0.01mm. A free lamp, 1x 3-Jaw Independent Chuck, 1x Quick Change Tool Post and 4x Engineers Measuring Kit are included
- 【PROFESSIONAL COMPOUND REST】- The mini metal lathe quick change tool post can achieve positions of internal cutting, face cutting and bevel cutting by changing the tool post angle and adjusting the compound rest. Professional cross slide is designed with abrasive resistance, moving blades freely with feed rod
- 【WIDE APPLICATION】- Driven by DC motor, this mini metal lathe cut off tool can be used in areas s uch as mini precision parts processing, sample processing and modeling works. 9 Cutters for easy replacement
Ultimate Versatility: Hengwei Review
- Maximum workpiece turning diameter of the machine: 125mm
- Maximum length of the piece: 180 mm
- Maximum workpiece turning diameter on the tool holder: 60mm
- Spindle through the hole diameter: 9mm
- Spindle cone: MT.1
Want to know, how you can maximize the use of this machine? Here’s a list of things you can do with it:
- File and polish round parts of your craft;
- Craft small objects like cups, bowls;
- Craft round or circular objects;
- Line up pieces to alignment before repairing;
- Drilling and boring of holes;
- To cut gears;
- Beveling edges;
The cutting tool comes in a variety of sizes. While industrial ones are large, the micro metal lathes are designed for home workshops.
Spindle assembly and headstock enable the machine in handling speed and loads of various sizes.
Ball and roller systems are easy for maintenance and cost-saving in the long run. If damaged, cheap to replace.
The best benchtop metal lathe comes with speed control. For home workshops, the machines must start from 30RPM-1200RPM. For more intensive tasks in a single phase, choose a machine, which is 2000RPMs or higher.
This comes in various drive systems, capacities. While some tools use electronic speed drives, most make utilization of the V belt drive mechanism.
V-belt drive leads to improved bending on operations on large masses which subsequently increases the functional efficiency of the small metal lathe.
General Pros and Cons
- Stock material waste can be minimized
- Live tooling can be done
- Cylindrical parts can be machined, holding high-pressure tolerance
- Cannot be used to make a square part
- Can be messy, use up space in the store
- Piling up of “swarf”
- Disability to machine non-cylindrical or odd-shaped parts
Things to Look for in the Best Mini Lathe
Dimensions and Weight
A small metal lathe machine can save a significant chunk of money. Light machines are easily portable, while heavier machines handle better vibrations. Vibrations affect operations in terms of accuracy.
Power is a major issue to be considered while purchasing a mini metal lathe. The micro metal lathe can usually pack up electrical motors in a range of 1 to 3 HP. Beyond the range, the tools operate on a single-phase supply. Inverters or converters are needed while using a 3-phase supply apparatus.
If a mini lathe machine has a complicated structure with lots of confusing buttons, it becomes uneasy to handle. The goal is fast and efficient performance.
Operability of The Machine
Accuracy, precise shape, cut, drilling are the main functions of the mini metal lathe. These features together decide the operability of the machine, which is a very vital factor to look for.
Safety glasses, emergency off-button, avoiding slippery floor must be taken care of. Affordability must be kept in mind.
- Centers: Top mini metal lathes in the market normally contain a Morse taper. No. 2 or No. 3 are simpler to operate compared to No. 1 tapers, which are difficult to deal with, especially if it’s your first time.
- Tumbler Reverse: To work with the best mini metal lathes, choose one with reverse features. With the tumbler reverse feature, you can manipulate the direction of motion and improve the craftsmanship.
Accessories You Need
- The boring bar: Metal and woodworking application tool, used to create asymmetrical channels.
- Drill chuck: Helps in locking the material in place. It helps in having a successful working session.
- Parting tool: The parting tool comes to the rescue when the size of the material exceeds the machine. It aids in cutting extra pieces and shortens material.
- Knurling tool: Helps in adding knurling to stock. It’s a useful tool for knobs when you need a solid and stronger grip.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Operate a Mini Lathe?
Micro metal lathes utilize electric motors of various speeds, which are used to transform metals like aluminum, copper, etc. It is very easy to use, however dangerous. Precautionary measures must be taken.
Can You Work on Wood Using a Metal Lathe?
You do not need a wood lathe separately because these speed cutting tools are not just for metalworking. However, sawdust might harm the machine, so necessary precautions must be taken. The speed of machining remains unchanged. The type of wood also has an impact.
What Are Safety Recommendations While Using Mini Metal Lathe?
||Keep hands and feet away from a pinch point
||Ensure plugs, and wires are properly functioning
||Use audio protection
||Wear protective footwear
||Do not wear while operating
Safety Rules You Must Follow
- Safety Glasses to protect eyes from injury. Debris might fly into the eyes, causing an accident.
- Emergency off button to turn off the machine in uncalled for situations. The button must be easy to reach.
- Avoid slippery floors while working. Falling on a slippery floor might cause bad injury.
- Checking the chucks is a must. Broken chuck can cause extreme hazards, and flying pieces of wood might badly injure.
- Getting rid of loose materials is necessary. Dangling pieces of clothing or loose hair can cause major accidents.
So, now that you know the important mini metal lathe reviews, we hope choosing the one is no more a puzzle. This was our guide to get you the best small metal lathe. Remember your purpose while choosing the product that suits you, and make sure you never forget safety rules at your work station. Which best mini metal lathe 2021 will you choose? Do tell us your pick.