Best Overall: Most Effective - Syngenta Tenacity Turf Herbicide Review
- Tenacity is a systemic pre-emergence and post-emergence herbicide for the selective contact and residual control of weeds in turfgrasses.
- When applied as a pre-emergent, weeds absorb Tenacity during emergence from the soil.
- Target pests: Barnyardgrass, Carpetweed, Chickweed, Clover, Crabgrass (large & smooth), Dandelion, Foxtail, Goosegrass, Henbit, Yellow Nutsedge, Purslane, Thistle, Wild Carrot and others
- Active Ingredient: Mesotrione 40%
- Date printed on bottle is Manufacture Date, not expiration. Shelf Life: 5-8 years from date of manufacture when properly stored. Keep out of direct sunlight and extreme temperatures
1-Hour Rainproof: Most Versatile - Ortho Weed B Gon Plus Crabgrass Control Review
- Kills crabgrass, dandelions and other common lawn weeds
- Kills weeds to the roots
- Kills 200+ weeds
- Won’t harm the lawn – Guaranteed (When used as directed)
- Starts working immediately
All-Season Protection: Scotts Crabgrass Preventer with Lawn Food Review
- Stops crabgrass before it invades and protects your lawn all season
- Feeds for a fast green-up after winter
- Rain, snow or freezing conditions after application won't affect product performance
- For best results, lawn should receive 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water from rainfall or watering within 2-3 days after application
- Not for use on dichondra or bentgrass lawns
Easy To Use: Primesource Quinclorac Select (Drive XLR8) Review
- One of the non-prime sellers of this product is known to be sending generic/counterfeit versions of this product. If you receive one of these, please report the seller to Amazon so we as sellers can maintain the integrity of our products.
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best Pre Emergent Crabgrass Preventer
The Best Ways to Kill the Crabgrass
The use of special chemicals has become the basis for killing the crabgrass in the garden or lawn. Preparations for removing weeds are called herbicides. They gained popularity in the middle of the last century, and today they contain more ingredients and have more powerful capabilities against weeds.
By the nature of the action, all herbicides are divided into contact and systemic. The first category includes weed killers that are effective only in the place of direct contact with the treated area. Systemic herbicides are more effective since when they enter a particular part of a weed plant, they quickly spread throughout its aerial part and penetrate the root system. Finally, this process leads to the death of the weed. Such preparations are also more economically advantageous since they reduce the flow of working fluid and quickly clear the land of weeds.
Solid or Selective? What Is the Best Pre-Emergent Crabgrass Preventer?
Depending on the spectrum of action, the herbicides are divided into two categories: solid and selective. The first group includes the products that destroy all clean vegetation that is within its radius of action, including cultivated. Such remedies are usually used in cases where it is necessary to get the area absolutely free from any plants.
Any selective crabgrass pre-emergent is characterized by the ability to destroy only weeds, without causing any harm to the lawn and other cultures. Depending on the varieties of weeds, their number, and species, the specific preparation and its concentration are chosen individually. Such tools are most common in agricultural production, as well as for some other purposes, for example, in maintaining the lawn in a well-groomed and level condition.
The best representatives of the best pre-emergent for crabgrass are the following:
- Syngenta Tenacity Turf Herbicide – can be used as a post-emergent as well and kills a lot of other grass weeds.
- Scotts Halts Crabgrass Grassy Weed Preventer – an affordable rainproof product, which effectively kills various types of weeds without any harm to your grass.
Pros and Cons of Crabgrass Preventers
The prevalence of the best crabgrass pre-emergent is caused by many positive properties that are inherent in it, in particular:
- low energy costs, significant savings in time and effort;
- the ability to quickly spray a large area;
- relatively fast half-life in the soil;
- the ability to effectively fight even the weeds that are the most difficult to kill;
- wide choice.
Along with the obvious advantages, chemical spraying of weeds has some negative sides, which include:
- the possibility of using the preventers only against adult plants, not seeds. The seed material inside the soil subsequently risks becoming a source of serious problems;
- the risk of destruction of cultivated plants when using herbicides;
- the need to use special equipment for working with such means, as well as special protective equipment.
How to Apply Different Types of Crabgrass Preventers?
Methods of application and timing of application of herbicides depend on their type and form of action on weeds.
Therefore, the herbicides are applied according to the instructions, at different periods of the growing season:
- before sowing,
- before or after germination of cultivated plants,
- before or after the germination of the weeds themselves.
According to numerous best crabgrass preventer reviews, the effectiveness of herbicides on crabgrass significantly depends on weather conditions. Usually, it increases in sunny weather and weakens in cool weather.
In hot, windy weather, damage to neighboring plants is possible by contact with them.
The use of herbicides is also allowed in cool weather, before the onset of frost, but still better at plus temperature.
What Is the Best Pre-Emergent for Crabgrass?
Most experts tend to believe that chemical plant protection is the most effective means of all possible. Large areas and fields can be treated with pesticides, while in small areas it is better to first resort to alternative methods of controlling weeds, including agricultural ones. This is especially true for those areas and lawns where berry bushes or fruit trees are cultivated.
Still, if you want to kill the weeds, use herbicides that are not so strong as Primesource Quinclorac Select (Drive XLR8). For example, Scotts Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer and Syngenta Tenacity Turf Herbicide will effectively cope with all kinds of weeds you have on your lawn. Also, it is possible to consider post-emergent means if you manage to apply them correctly. The best post-emergent crabgrass killer is Ortho Weed B Gon Plus Crabgrass Control. It is effective against more than 200+other weeds and gives visible results in hours. Moreover, it is a 1-hour rainproof.
So, it is your turn to decide what is the best pre-emergent for crabgrass. With this homemakerguide experts` review you have some understanding of the main qualities of these herbicides and will definitely buy the right product to apply on your lawn.