Top 5 Best Progressive Reloading Presses: Comparison Chart
Best Overall: LEE PRECISION Review
- This kit and a set of Lee dies is everything you need to begin reloading
- Note: the Bench Plate system the Classic Turret Press is mounted to in the photo is sold separately.
- Made in USA
- The kit includes the Pro Auto-Drum powder measure and riser, perfect for all handgun and small rifle cartridges.
Quick Change Metering Inserts: Hornady Review
- Auto-progressive reloading press for quickly switching dies and loading other calibers
- 5-station bushing system lets you change from 223 to 45 in less than 5 minutes
- EZject system reliably ejects every cartridge, every time, without adjustments
- Quick-change metering inserts; universal case retainer spring; automatic indexing system
- Built-in priming system; case-activated powder drop; large-capacity hopper
Highly Recommend: Lee Precision Shotshell Review
Removable Die Blocks: Frankford Arsenal Review
- DIMENSIONS: 20" L x 9" W x 6. 5" D and weighs 21 lbs
- EASE OF USE: Integral floating shell-holder plate system allows for precise bullet-to-case alignment without the need for individual shell holders
- VERSATILITY: Loads small - magnum caliber pistol or rifle cases and has a selectable cam over operation
- RELIABLE: Features 2 parallel guide rods for stability, spent primer catcher and the included quick-change die blocks fit standard 7/8"-14 reloading dies
- DURABLE: Heavy-duty, robust die-cast construction
Comfortable Ball Handle: Lyman Review
- Heavy duty cast iron frame and turret.
- Extra-large 8 station turret is easily removed to make swapping turrets simple.
- Holds two complete 4 die sets or up to four 2 die sets.
- Durable powder coat finish.
- Comes with straight line primer feed with large and small primer tubes.
Buyer's Guide: Best Progressive Reloading Presses
There are many factors that you need to consider when choosing the best progressive reloading press, and this is what puzzles most of the rookies. In this text, we are going to talk about what is the purpose of progressive press, how does it work, and what are the most vital features you need to understand. That way, you will be able to find the best progressive reloading press for the money. But, before we continue, we would like to remind you that as a responsible gun owner, you have to make sure to have a high-quality gun safe.
What is a Progressive Reloading Press?
What is the reloading press in the first place? So, in simple terms, it is a machine that shooters use to make their ammo. Usually, components used to make ammunition using the reloading press are primer, powder, bullet, and case. There are different types of reloading presses in the market – single-stage, turret reloading press, progressive press, and shotshell press. Among all of those, reloading press is becoming the most popular. Progressive presses are commonly used by people who shoot from pistols or semi-automatic weapons.
How Does A Progressive Reloading Press Work?
It is essential to say that different models of these presses work in different ways. That means that you have to check the instructions of a specific model of your progressive reloading kit. Among other things, it depends on the number of stations as each station does a specific task. Usually, having four or five stations means that you can do the job splendidly.
Benefits of a Progressive Reloading Press
- It is cost-effective because, as we mentioned, it allows you to make your bullets instead of buying them.
- Customized ammunition. It allows you to make your ammo exactly how you want it to be.
- You can test as many bullets as you want without worrying about wasting money.
- It allows you to use old ammo.
How to Choose the Best Progressive Reloading Press?
Of course, one of the first things you need to think about when you are choosing the best reloading press is the type of gun you have. If you only have handguns, then you don’t need to worry about high clearance for long cartridges. But if you are reloading rifles, you have to make sure to get a specific model that can provide you with the accuracy you need.
Speed & Volume of Production
The amount of ammunition you need, of course, depends on how much you shoot. On average best progressive reloader is way faster than the single model, and usually, it makes 400 -800 rounds per hour. Generally, people like it when it makes a lot of rounds per hour. However, if you don’t shoot often, you will be satisfied with the beginner’s cheap reloading press.
Ejection System / Die
The quality of the ammunition is going to depend on the ejection system. The point is that the product has to come out quickly. If not, there is a risk it will get damaged.
Caliber Changing System
When you are making a progressive reloading press comparison, you notice the importance of finding an effective caliber changing system. It is necessary because it improves the productivity of the machine.
Number of Stations
Most of these machines have four to six stations. They are required for the device to work most effectively. Each of the stations does a specific task. Therefore it is crucial to check the number of stations and their functions before deciding about the model you want. Make sure to have enough space on the work bench to install the press.
Gun Powder Management
So this is quite significant because then you don’t have to think about how much gun powder is required for a specific cartridge. The model you get needs to come with a system for gun powder management. It is even better if there is a system to prevent powder from spilling.
Materials used to make this tool vary. Some are made of stainless steel, other of aluminum, etc. Of course, the prices also vary depending on the materials used. It depends on you what kind of tool you are looking for. If you are going to use this machine only occasionally and you don’t need a lot of ammunition, an aluminum model can perfectly do the job for you.
Optional accessories are often the reason why some products are more popular than others. Each of the manufacturers offers some things that make the use of reloading press easier. One of the most common accessories you can find is a component feeder.
Other Types of Reloading Presses
- Single Stage Press is the most basic type of reloading press, and thus it is recommended to beginners. It is pretty slow, and it produces only about 100 bullets per hour. However, they are exceptionally cheap and simple to use.
- Turret presses are improved versions of single ones. They have four to five stations, and they are faster. That is why they are a good option for beginners who need more ammo.
- Protect your eyes
- Don’t smoke or do anything with fire while using this tool.
- Always check the powder level in cases.
Best Reloading Press Brands
Lee Precision is a company founded by Richard Lee. He first started making shells for shotguns in 1958. Shortly after, the company expanded its field of interest and started making different types of reloading equipment.
Lyman is one of the companies with the longest tradition. They started in the 19th century with rifle sights. Over the years, they expanded the business and are now making loads of reloading equipment.
Hornady is created in the 40s of the previous century. It quickly became one of the most known manufacturers of reloading gear. Besides progressive reloading presses, they make trimmers, bullet pullers, etc.
Dillon’s founder is Mike Dillon. He had an idea to load 223 o to M 16. After being told that something like that is not possible, he began researching and creating all kinds of conversion tool kits.
Verdict and Our Recommendation 2021
So, we are at the end of our review. A reloading press is something that a shooter should have, but as you can see, there are a lot of things to consider before deciding which is the right model. We hope that this text gave you enough information for you to choose the best progressive reloading press 2021.
- 1 Top 5 Best Progressive Reloading Presses: Comparison Chart
- 2 Buyer's Guide: Best Progressive Reloading Presses
- 2.1 What is a Progressive Reloading Press?
- 2.2 How Does A Progressive Reloading Press Work?
- 2.3 Benefits of a Progressive Reloading Press
- 2.4 How to Choose the Best Progressive Reloading Press?
- 2.5 Other Types of Reloading Presses
- 2.6 Safety Tips
- 2.7 Best Reloading Press Brands
- 3 Verdict and Our Recommendation 2021