- 1 Top 10 Best Projectors Under 500: Comparison Table
- 1.1 Best Overall: Great Picture - DBPOWER LCD Video Projector Review
- 1.2 Awesome Brightness: #1 Best Seller In Video Projectors - VANKYO Mini Projector Review
- 1.3 Great For Movie Nights: AZEUS Video Projector with Built-in Sound Speaker Review
- 1.4 Easy To Setup: DR. J Professional 1080P Portable Video Projector Review
- 1.5 Super Color Technology: ViewSonic SVGA High Brightness Projector Review
- 1.6 Suitable For Well-lit Rooms: Epson SVGA Projector Review
- 1.7 Affordable: HOMPOW Mini Projector Review
- 1.8 Compact: Anker Pint-Sized Wi-Fi Mini Projector Review
- 1.9 Great Portability: TOPVISION Mini Projector Review
- 1.10 Versatile: ViewSonic Mini Portable LED Projector Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best Projector Under 500
- 3 Verdict and our recommendation for 2020
Top 10 Best Projectors Under 500: Comparison Table
Best Overall: Great Picture - DBPOWER LCD Video Projector Review
- [REMARKABLE BRIGHTNESS AND CLARITY]: DBPOWER L21 mini LCD video projector, upgraded bright to 180ANSI-5000Lux, 3000:1 contrast ratio, 1280x720p native resolution, supporting 1920x1080p highest resolution makes it brighter than other comparable Mini projectors on the market. It’s ideal for home entertainment in dark. NOT recommended for Power point, Word, Excel or business presentation.
- [AMAZING MOVIE EXPERIENCE]: This DBPOWE L21 portable video projector support 1080P full HD 1920x1080p Resolution. It displays images between 40-200 inches, with a projection distance of 1-5m. For optimum viewing, placing the projector at a distance of 1.8 to 2.0m, while adjusting the focus and keystone correction, will achieve a super-clear and bright projection.
- [MULTIMEDIA PORTABLE PROJECTOR]: DBPOWER L21 smart-phone mini projector is compatible with TV Box, TV Stick, PCs, Laptops, Tablets, Speakers, Chrome Book, Blue-ray DVD players, USB Flash Drives, Media players, ipad, iphone and Android Smart phones. NOTE: When connected with smart phones, a Wi-Fi display dongle or HDMI adapter (not included) is required.
- [INCREDIBLE SPEAKERS AND FAN]: DBPOWER L21 home portable movie projector equipped advanced built-in speakers system, offering excellent loud sound quality without connecting external speaker. Powerful cooling system cools the heat of lamp efficiently, extending the bulb life to 50,000 hours, thoughtful details for better use.
- [3-YEAR WARRANTY]: Backed by 3-YEAR WARRANTY, you have nothing to lose by purchasing our DBPOWER L21 mini projector. Registering within 7 days after receiving your projector to active 3-year warranty and get free exclusive gift. Professional customer service and free tech support is available. If you have any questions with your purchase, please feel free to contact us anytime!
Awesome Brightness: #1 Best Seller In Video Projectors - VANKYO Mini Projector Review
- SUPERIOR VIEWING EXPERIENCE: Supporting 1920x1080 resolution, VANKYO Leisure 3 projector is powered by MStar Advanced Color Engine, which is ideal for home entertainment. 2020 upgraded LED lighting provides a superior viewing experience for you. (Not recommend for PowerPoint or other office presentation)
- MULTIMEDIA PORTABLE PROJECTOR: VANKYO Leisure 3 projector is perfect for video viewing, TV series watching as well as photo browsing. It can be easily connected to your smartphone, PS3, PS4, X-Box ONE or Wii to enjoy diversified games. A customized bag is designed for easy carry and convenient storage.
- BIG SCREEN SIZE: It provides a watching size from 32” to 170” with the projection distance between 4.9ft to 16.4ft. 6.5 ft is the recommended viewing distance and it’s straightforward to achieve a clear and regular image by the focus and keystone correction adjusting.
- FAN NOISE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM: VANKYO projectors are equipped with an innovative cooling system which contains heat dispersion and noise suppression technology that halves the fan sound. (Power input : 100V-240V 50/60Hz)
- SMARTPHONE CONNECTION AVAILABLE: Without installing any app, you can easily realize the smart-phone connection. An extra Lightning to HDMI adapter is needed for iPhone connection while Micro USB/Type C to HDMI adapter is needed for Android phone connection.(Adapter is sold separately)
Great For Movie Nights: AZEUS Video Projector with Built-in Sound Speaker Review
- IMPRESSIVE HIGH-DEFINITION EXPERIENCE: AZEUS RD-822 video projector support 1920x1080P with Native 1280X720P resolution and 3000:1 contrast ratio, 80% sharper than other projectors, brings you crystal clear and satisfactory image and ideal for Projecting movie, Games, Graphics.
- BRIGHT AND ENORMOUS SCREEN EXPERIENCE: 2020 Newest UPGRADE Projector with 5000 lumens, +80% brightness than ordinary projector. The display size from 40" to 200". Utilizes LED light source and TFT LCD display technology ensures lower energy than conventional bulbs and also longer life up to 50,000 hours.
- VIVID HIFI SOUND With LOW NOISE: The advanced built-in powerful 5W speaker delivers HIFI sound quality without connecting external speaker any more. Not support Dolby digital sounds(Copyright issue). Awesome heat dispersion and lower noise due to dual-fan design and the application of innovative materials.
- PORTABLE MULTIMEDIA VERSATILITY: AZEUS RD-822 mini projector is equipped with 2*HDMI, 2*USB, VGA, AV and Audio output. And it is convenient to connect with your phone, ipad, TV series etc. Please purchase an extra converter when connecting your phone. This is a portable size（7.58''*5.9"*3.43"）and a weight of only 2.36lb.
- 3-YEARS WARRANTY And 7X24Hs ONLINE CUSTOMER SERVICES SUPPORTED: 3-year warranty guarantees the replacement or refund and 7x24hs online customer service on our official website if you have any problems.
Easy To Setup: DR. J Professional 1080P Portable Video Projector Review
- Multiple Multimedia Accessibility: This compact video projector is equipped with multiple ports for ease of use, including a built-in HDMI, USB, TF card, VGA and AV interface. You can also connect this digital video projector to TV products directly, as well as game consoles, PCs, laptops, etc. However, to connect with smartphones, you'll need to purchase a separate adapter.
- The Ideal home Theater Projector: you can now set up a theater in your own home to watch movies and TV shows, view photo slides and play video games. For the perfect viewing conditions, Use the LCD projector in a dark room. For better sound quality, pair the video projector with your preferred external speaker.
- Innovative Cooling System: This portable video projector has been fitted with an upgraded, innovative and efficient cooling system that makes minimal noise compared with other video projectors on the market. No longer do you have to worry about the noise of your home projector disturbing your watching and listening experience.
- One-Year Full Time Warranty: nothing says more about our trust in the quality of our mini video projector than our One-Year Full Time Warranty, which is in addition to our three-years . If you are not satisfied with Dr. J 3800 brightness projector, don't hesitate to email us directly. We will always try to offer you a satisfactory solution.
- NEW Arrival? Latest? Upgraded? Yes! Yes! Yes! Say hello to 3800L Native Resolution 1280x720 Mini projector. DR. J Professional P68 Projector has adopted the latest display technology and updated the native resolution to 720P which is the only 720P mini projector on the market! Enjoy the home theater entertainment with your family Now!
Super Color Technology: ViewSonic SVGA High Brightness Projector Review
- Versatile projector: Advanced visual features ideal for use in education and small business environments
- Big screen projection: Projects 120 inches from 15-feet 8-inches in 3800 lumens
- Easy setup: Simple setup and control; just plug & play your presentations, videos, and pictures
- Long lamp life: Super Eco mode allows the lamp to shine bright for up to 15, 000 hours
- Industry-leading : 3-year limited parts and labor coverage, 1-year of lamp coverage, and access to our US-based customer service team
Suitable For Well-lit Rooms: Epson SVGA Projector Review
- More accurate, vivid color, even in well lit rooms 3,200 lumens of equal color and white brightness (1); Fan Noise ECO mode 28 dB; Normal mode 37 dB; Digital zoom (Manual)/Focus (Manual)
- SVGA resolution (800 x 600), ideal for projecting everyday presentations and graphics; Projected distance 30 inch 350 inch (0.88 10.44 m); PC and Mac compatible. iProjection App Compatible-Wirelessly project from your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or AndroidTM mobile device
- F number: 1.44, focal length:16.7 millimeter, zoom ratio: digital zoom 1.0 ? 1.35, pixel number: 480,000 dots; Fast, easy setup with Epson? get up and running in no time with easy image adjustments and convenient control
- Works with the latest laptops and media players? Supports HDMI, the standard in connectivity, for digital video and audio in one cable. If the projector includes a zoom ring, rotate it to enlarge or reduce the image size and if the projector includes W and T buttons, press the W button on the projector's control panel to enlarge the image size and press the T button to reduce the image size. Speaker: 2 W (Mono)
- Power Supply Voltage 100 ? 240 V ?10 percentage, 50/60 Hertz. Rated Voltage 50/60 Hertz. Power Consumption ECO mode 211 W. Normal mode 296 W; Temperature: 41 degree to 95 degree F (5 degree to 35 degree C)
Affordable: HOMPOW Mini Projector Review
- 【SUPPORT MULTIPLE MULTIMEDIA DEVICES】This video projector allows you connect your smartphone（iphone / android phone)directly with MHL cable(not included) which makes you share videos and photo on your iphone / android smartphone . And compatible with a variety of devices, such as TV sticks,PC,notebooks,TV,USB disk,DVD,PS4,Wii, almost all multimedia devices, Projectors with mirrored displays do not support playback of protected video due to copyright issues. (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Hulu)
- 【FRIENDLY NOISELESS DESIGN & MINI PORTABLE DEVICE】 This mini projector uses the upgraded 2020 noise reduction technology which makes you concentrate on enjoying your movies. Size is 7.3 x 5.8 x 2.8 inches, you can easily put it in your handbag for traveling, watching big screen movies outdoors and enjoying the journey
- 【SUPPORT 1080P HD DISPLAY & 50,000 HOURS LAMP lIFETIME】 This phone projector support 1080P high resolution which give you and your family an amazing feeling, comparable to a movie theater. The lifetime of projector lamp is 50,000 hours which means you can enjoy a home theater for 30 years without replacing the light bulb of this video projector
- 【3600L BRIGHTNESS PROJECTION LIGHT & LARGE PROJECTION SCREEN】 This movie projector is upgraded to 3600 lumens, 2000:1 contrast, which enable you watch the brightness family HD movie at home, or enjoy the fun of big screen games with your friends. The recommended projection distance is 60-200 inches, you will get a 50-176 inches HD large screen, suitable for watching movies and games
- 【EASY TO ADJUST & 2 YEARS CUSTOMER SERVICE】First, adjust ±15 keystone correction so that the screen is in the same plane. Second, adjust the focus ring, you will get a clear picture. We are confident that our docking are manufactured under strict quality standards. If you are not 100% satisfied with this purchase, please contact us and we will reply you ASAP to solve all of your problem. In addition, we offer a FREE REPLACEMENT POLICY & 2 YEAR CUSTOMER SERVICE, totally no risk for you!
Compact: Anker Pint-Sized Wi-Fi Mini Projector Review
- HD Viewing: Cutting-edge DLP technology projects a vividly-detailed 720p, 200-ANSI-lumen image up to 100 inches big. Ideal for use in low-light environments
- Instant Clarity: Get an ultra-sharp, rectangular image from almost any angle in under a second with Capsule Max mini projector’s autofocus and keystoning technology
- Ideal in the Home: Stay entertained at home with Capsule Max's 100-inch image. Watch movies, take online classes, or keep the kids entertained with hours of cartoons and educational videos. The possibilities are endless
- Android 8.1: Download and stream YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and more straight to Capsule Max mini projector. Use the Nebula Connect app on your phone to control Netflix
- NOTE: Copyrighted content from Hulu, Netflix, and similar services CAN NOT be mirrored or screencast. Download and use the apps directly through Capsule Max movie projector to view copyrighted content from these providers. Chromecast is not supported
Great Portability: TOPVISION Mini Projector Review
- 【SYNCHRONIZE SMARTPHONE SCREEN:】 You can connect TOPVISION movie projector to smartphone, or laptop by USB cable directly, without HDMI adapter or Wi-Fi environment. Compatible with Amazon Fire TV Stick/smartphones/tablets/TV/laptop/USB sticks/TF cards (max 32GB)/DVD players.
- 【3600Lux LED VIDEO PROJECTOR: 】This led projector has upgraded to 3600lux, brighter than other 2800lux led projectors. With the environmental lamp, the lamp life is more than 50000hours, which means you can enjoy the home theater last for 30years without changing the lamp of this photo projector.
- 【PERFECT HOME CINEMA EXPERIENCE: 】Our portable mini projector adopts a contrast ratio of 3000:1 and 16:9 aspect ratio. In the projector distance is 1.5-5.2 meters, the projection size can be applied to 50-176 inches. The recommended viewing distance is about 3m. Enjoy your home cinema time happily. It is the best choice for a gift.
- 【TWO STEPS TO GET CLEAR IMAGE:】 First, Adjusting the ±15 keystone correction, makes the screen in the same plane. Second, adjusting the focus ring. And different from the resin lens, the tempered glass lens has more thermal stability. It can resist high temperature effectively.
- 【LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT】Register your product after receiving your video projector, you will get an extended 3 months to return and 24 months promise. If you have any question, please feel free to contact us.
Versatile: ViewSonic Mini Portable LED Projector Review
- POCKET-SIZED DESIGN: Measuring only 4x4 inches, this LED projector with WVGA (854x480p) resolution and 1080p support delivers convenient entertainment in nearly any location
- SMART STAND: Enables easy placement in a variety of positions and angles. The smart stand also doubles as a lens cover
- PREMIUM AUDIO: An integrated JBL speaker delivers big sound in a small package perfect for music and movies at home, or on the go
- PLUG & PLAY USB: Simple playback of photos, movies, presentations, and other multimedia without having to connect to a PC
- BUILT-IN BATTERY: Provides 2.5 hours of power, while power bank compatibility offers extended battery life wherever you go
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best Projector Under 500
How to choose the Best Projector Under 500
This current presentation does not only take you straight to your target but also aims to teach you the basic characteristics you should look out for in a great projector and what does each one stand for. Thus, when looking for the best projector under 500, you should already have an in-depth understanding of the following terminology and criteria.
The Number of Lumens of Each Projector
This is a very important indicator of performance but not in a conventional way contrary to the expectations of many potential buyers. The mode of operation for these devices is simple: a high power lamp emits a luminous beam within which the digital image is projected. When this beam encounters an obstacle surface, shapes, colors, and contrasts become visible. Brightness refers to the density and intensity of the projected light beam, indicating in the first instance how strong the colors and contrast can be seen. When looking for the best projector under 500, you should know that manufacturers offer as an indicator of this parameter some measurement units called ANSI lumens.
These were established by the American National Standards Institute and strictly quantify the light emitted by a data projector. It is important not to leave unnecessarily impressed with high values because it matters more to adapt them according to the nature of the space in which you will perform the projections. In a dark room, ready to accommodate a Home Cinema system, a 2000-2500 ANSI luminescent video projector is powerful enough to project clear images up to a distance of about 6m, more than enough, even and for an extended-room apartment.
Taking into account the possibility of completely darkening the room space, for a smaller room, a model with 1500 ANSI lumens is enough. If out of the projectors under 500 you choose one over 3500 ANSI lumens and place it in a confined space, you may have problems with color perception, your eyes being tired very easily in these circumstances. The equation changes when you want to project outdoors at night or in an amphitheater where space is lit all the time. You need values over 4500 ANSI lumens so that the device meets the requirements.
The larger the projection dimensions, the more the light will disperse on the surface, the image becoming more sterile and more difficult to perceive, especially if it is not total darkness. However, keep in mind that in buying a device with such values you will need to invest some more funds.
It is basically the difference between the lightest and the darkest projected color, both considered in the section. There are two contrast options: static and native-dynamic. Both are expressed in a report, indicating that figures may be higher in the case of diminishing contrast. The not good part about this option is that it can affect the final quality of the image, being sometimes considered too violent visually. That’s why many technicians recommend static contrast. The best projectors under 500 have a standard contrast ratio between 2000:1 and 15000:1. If you are designing in a very well-insulated room, consider lower values. You have to consider not only the darkness but also the colors of the objects or walls because all shades are perceived by the human eye as a reflection of the bright radiation.
The Image Aspect Ratio
As for the aspect ratio, it is defined as the ratio between the two sides of the image. In other words, when the aspect ratio of the data source differs from that of the projector, the image will be played with two black bars, where the ratio does not synchronize, leaving unused projection space and the image appears dimmer. You surely met this issue on older TVs or monitors, observing the two black spaces on the side (or up/down).
This indicator is rendered by a report, and the most popular values at this time are 4: 3, 16: 9, and 21: 9. Most manufacturers specify this parameter in the product descriptions provided, especially those behind the models present in best projectors under 500 list.
Throw ratio refers to the ratio of the distance from the projector lens to the projection surface and its dimensions, especially the width. More simply, it is a figure that suggests how far and in what position the device can be placed in a room. If your project directly onto a wall, you can personally adjust the distance, but if you have a limited size screen, it is vital to keep this parameter in mind. Do not forget that as you increase the distance between the two elements, the projected image increases but it becomes even more unclear. The advantageous part is that many products have this value in the description, making it considerably easier to make the calculations you need to make.
The Trapeze Correction
This is a very important setting, out of clear ergonomic reasons. The projected image has the correct dimensions and proportions only as long as the position of the projector exactly perforates the center of the projection surface. In any other situation, the angle changes and the image obtained by oblique design will have uneven sides and wrong proportions. Here comes the possibility to adjust and correct any errors, regardless of the position of the device in the room. The best projectors under 500 allow vertical (height-dependent) correction but not horizontal. The procedure is done manually, largely with products with automatic correction function. We must mention that the picture quality suffers from a very large correction.
Lens Shift Function
The lens shift function is an adjacent option with a similar visual correction role. In this case, the adjustment is made directly from the lens, which means no impact on image quality. The function is preferred by many users and the movement is the same: horizontal or vertical, automatic or manual. Of course, for such a feature, it is necessary to spend some more money.
This reflects the quality of the projected image. Most video projectors on the market are made with native resolution but scheduled to support multiple types of resolution in the data source. This should be one of the main criteria when picking the best projector under 500. So the indicator reflects the number of pixels that can be displayed vertically and horizontally. The higher the resolution values, the clearer and better the image will be.
There are several categories: XGA (1024px768p), WXGA (1280px720p), Full HD (1920px1080p), HD Ready (1024p × 720p), etc. With movie or game projection on the console, you can enjoy HD Ready resolution. For projections from widescreen data sources, an XGA resolution is required.
Video Projector Lamp
The lamp has to be defined as the most important “consumable” part of the device. It is essential to know that the life of such an item is limited to a certain number of hours. After exhausting it, you will invest a fairly large amount of money in replacing this component. Conventional models on the market are mercury vapor lamps, sometimes called UHP.
Their lifespan is on the average rate between 2000 and 4000 hours of use. However, some opinions about the best projectors under 500 say that if the device is equipped with an eco-function, then the life of the lamp will double. Once this period is exhausted, the brightness decreases drastically, to less than half that of the initial one, following the imminent failure.
This is a very important aspect that depends not only on the size and weight of the product chosen but also on the signal transmission mode. From this point of view, the most appreciated will be a wireless video projector. It features a factory-made LAN connection that, once enabled, allows data to be played from other related sources without the need for a transmission cable. However, it’s good to pay some attention to the acquisition costs and other technical features when you decide to buy something in this category. For a conventional portable video projector, you only need a small weight, adequate size, and a versatile interface that includes HDMI, USB, VGA or even Audio In., and this is the case for each entry in the list of the best projectors under 500.
Verdict and our recommendation for 2020
Out of all the products reviewed so far, we at homemakerguide believe that the most unilateral and advantageous one has to be the DBPOWER LCD Video Projector model. After you figure out what extra features you are looking for in the best projector under 500, this model will come in the closest to fitting them all. With all these tips, you can now look for an inexpensive and good video projector that perfectly matches your personal needs with the confidence that you have chosen a quality device. Most of the deals can be found on the internet, so we recommend that you order this product online. Prices may be more advantageous than in stores, quality and warranty remain the same, and if you are not convinced of the quality of the model, you can return it or replace it.
Whatever specs or functions you are looking for when buying the best projector under 500, it is extremely important for every single one of them to match your needs perfectly. Think thoroughly and make a smart purchase!