- 1 10 Best Small Chainsaw 2020 Options to Consider
- 1.1 Best Overall: High Efficiency Motor - DEWALT DCCS620P1 20V MAX Review
- 1.2 Safe & Easy: Excellent Cutting - BLACK+DECKER Lopper Chain Saw Review
- 1.3 Low Noise: Makita XCU02PT Cordless Chain Saw Kit Review
- 1.4 Great For Small Jobs: Greenworks 10-Inch 24V Cordless Review
- 1.5 Great Chainsaw For Home: ECHO CS-271T Chainsaw Review
- 1.6 Compact & Lightweight: Worx WG322 20V Cordless Review
- 1.7 Best Cordless Chainsaw for Beginners: Greenworks 12-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw Review
- 1.8 Longest Battery Life: BLACK+DECKER LCS1020 20V Max Review
- 1.9 Top Extension Pole Saw: WORX WG309 8 Amp 10 Review
- 1.10 Great Versatility: Remington RM1645 Versa Saw Electric Chainsaw Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best Small Chainsaw
- 3 Best Small Chainsaw FAQ
- 4 Verdict and Our Recommendations for 2020
10 Best Small Chainsaw 2020 Options to Consider
Best Overall: High Efficiency Motor - DEWALT DCCS620P1 20V MAX Review
Weighing just 8.8lbs this device from Dewalt comes with an efficient brushless motor. It is designed to minimize kickback, when saw kickback is lowered, user safety increases. It is suitable for various outdoor projects and construction endeavors.
Why We Like It
- It is one of the quietest chainsaws in this segment
- It delivers good power which makes it easy to handle even strong branches
- Its lightweight makes it convenient to use even single-handedly
- This chainsaw is also one of the best in terms of battery life
Safe & Easy: Excellent Cutting - BLACK+DECKER Lopper Chain Saw Review
This tool comes with a 4.5amp motor and is designed to handle even heavy-duty cutting jobs without a fuss. With a bar length of 6 inches, this one can handle logs up to 4 inches easily. The brand’s famous Alligator powered lopper design is included.
Why We Like It
- One of the lightest chainsaws in the heavy-duty application category weighing just 6.5lbs
- The chain on this is durable and long-lasting
- Cutting speed is pretty fast allowing quicker completion of a job making it the best-corded chainsaw for efficiency
Low Noise: Makita XCU02PT Cordless Chain Saw Kit Review
You could choose the tool alone if you are on a tight budget or even go for the complete kit which comes with batteries and grinder. This tools runs with 2 18V LXT lithium-ion batteries and provides great power with noise level of only 87 dB(A)
Why We Like It
- The 12” guide bar helps to improve the accuracy of the cutting job
- Noise levels are merely 87dB(A) making it suitable for quiet neighborhoods
- Chain adjustments on this device are effortless and can be done without any additional tools
Great For Small Jobs: Greenworks 10-Inch 24V Cordless Review
24V 2Ah battery makes cordless operation of this instrument a breeze. There are a 10-inch bar and chain setup which can conveniently handle thick branches. You can easily adjust the tension of its chain without a tool. Weighing 7.85lbs, this one delivers 35 cuts per charge.
- One of the best features on this is an automatic oiler arrangement which delivers proper lubrication to the chain and arm
- Addition of a translucent tank for visibility of oil level is another neat feature
- Plastic parts on this chainsaw make its build feel a bit flimsy
Great Chainsaw For Home: ECHO CS-271T Chainsaw Review
This pure fire engine with a 12-inch bar and chain design is suitable even for commercial applications, let alone small home projects. This gas chainsaw from ECHO gives a controlled cut due to a sprocket nose bar that comes with Oregon chain.
- A startup is quick and straightforward thanks to a half throttle choke
- It feels balanced even while handling huge branches
- Cuts are fast and smooth giving a professional finish
Compact & Lightweight: Worx WG322 20V Cordless Review
This cordless mini saw from Worx comes with automatic lubrication for a chain to ensure that there is no unprecedented friction. There is an auto chain tension adjustment feature added to give the best performance, a battery level indicator is included for convenience. This model comes with a compatible charger and a 20V battery in the box.
- it is a compact instrument which is light and easy to use for both men and women
- The battery life of this Worx chainsaw is one of the best in the mini chainsaw segment
- Assembly and use of this device are pretty simple
- If you push the limits of this model, the chain keeps slipping off. As long as you work on light timber, this one has no complaints
Best Cordless Chainsaw for Beginners: Greenworks 12-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw Review
Greenworks tool can handle up to 40V battery for more extended operation, there are a 12-inch cutting chain and Oregon bar to handle thicker timber. Tool-less adjustment of chain tension is handy addition, so quick changes are possible before operation.
- It features a quick electric start which is reliable in all kinds of weather conditions
- Even those with little to no experience will find this instrument easy to handle, that makes it the best cordless chainsaw for both beginners and pros
- Even when operating at its full power, this device feels stable and secure to hold
- Skipped chain on this saw makes vibrations a little difficult to handle
Longest Battery Life: BLACK+DECKER LCS1020 20V Max Review
In the small cordless chainsaw category, this one from Black+Decker features a 20V battery, that offers a long life. You can, therefore, use this instrument for more significant projects without any trouble. There is a 10” Oregon bar and chain. Designers kept users’ safety in mind.
- The wraparound design of the handle provides a more confident hold during operation. It also prevents the saw from slipping off when it comes to cutting hardwood
- Easy knob adjustment for chain tension works smoothly and quickly
- It features one of the lowest kickback impacts in this segment
- There is no auto chain lubrication system
Top Extension Pole Saw: WORX WG309 8 Amp 10 Review
This mini chainsaw from Worx comes with a convenient 8-feet long extension pole. Therefore, you can use this saw to reach higher branches without using a ladder. It is the smallest chainsaw that can be used as a pole saw and chainsaw in one. Its 8-amp motor feels powerful to handle even heavy branches.
- Pole is easily detachable, so it can be used as a standard small hand-held chainsaw
- Even with a long extension, its weight feels balanced and convenient to handle
- There are an auto-tension adjustment and auto lubrication system included in the design
- Blade movement doesn’t stop instantly
Great Versatility: Remington RM1645 Versa Saw Electric Chainsaw Review
Weighing merely over 9lbs, this small, lightweight chainsaw is easy to handle if you have to use it for a long time. There are a 16-inch bar and chain combo with low kickback. A wraparound handle allows a safe grip even while using the chainsaw at full power.
- Tension adjustment system on this instrument is dependable, and you can get predictable results with it
- It is one of the smallest chainsaws
- Comes in a fully assembled state, perfect for beginners
- 12-amp motor comes with an instant start operation
- Chain oil leaks sometimes
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best Small Chainsaw
How to Choose the Best Small Chainsaw?
Are you a home user or a professional? Answering this question should be the first step to shortlist the options. If you cannot decide, then you should choose versatile options since they have features suitable for home users as well as for professionals.
How light is a saw? Lightweight options are convenient for both men and women to handle. Weight of the saw should not be an added strain to vibrations you feel. Big ones tire you out too soon.
Pick a fully automatic one if you are worried that you might forget to adjust the tension or chain lubrication.
Best Small Chainsaw Types
Knowing different types of chainsaws would be a great place to begin, this will help you to narrow down your options and choose one that suits your requirements. You would be able to pick one that is convenient to handle and easy to maintain as well.
The primary classification is based on the mode of operation of devices. There are gas-powered variants, electric and battery-operated ones.
For those who need the highest power, these are the best options, but they tend to be loud and slightly more challenging to handle. For a beginner with no experience, this is not the best option to pick. Also, noise levels of this tool make them unsuitable to use in a quiet neighborhood without troubling neighbors.
These come with a cord that can be connected to any power outlet. They run on electricity and are quieter than gas-based ones. These devices can deliver similar power and performance but with low noise levels. Care and maintenance of this type are also relatively more straightforward than the other options: there is no hassle of refilling gas or changing batteries. These saws can be continuously used for large scale projects. Most of the corded electric chainsaws today are available in simple designs that allow any homeowner to be able to tap into the potential of this machine easily.
These tools run on batteries which sometimes come in the box, many even carry a charger along with other contents. Choosing a battery-operated variant with a long battery life can allow hours of uninterrupted work. These are portable small battery chainsaw options that can be taken around and used anywhere. You do not have to hunt for an electric outlet nearby to be able to use the saw, lack of cords allows absolute freedom of movement. Most of them come with lightweight designs so that a user doesn’t feel any strain.
Besides these popular types in chainsaws include some additional features:
This type of saws has automatic small adjustments like chain tension control and lubrication, so you would not have to check its tension after each use manually. It helps to maintain the safety of using such equipment. In other types, there is a trigger to release oil to a chain.
Best Small Chainsaw FAQ
These short chainsaw reviews were intended to give you a sneak peek into what each product is all about. These devices are all quite light and easy to use. Hence, whether you need one for small scale commercial projects or home projects, these are all suitable.
Now that you have so many options, how can you be sure that you choose the best one in the lot? Get to know frequently asked questions in this category. You should also know about the best chainsaw brands. Remington, Makita, Worx, Black+Decker, Greenworks, Tanaka, and Dewalt are all names that are popular in the power tools category. So, finding spares for chainsaws from these brands would also be an easy job. When you choose a reliable brand, you are also assured of excellent after-sale service.
What Is the Best Small Chainsaw for a Homeowner?
A tool that is powerful enough for industrial applications might not be tailored to suit home use. Homeowners need something smaller, lighter, and more convenient to use. There should be straightforward controls to allow beginners to use equipment without any trouble.
How to Clean and Maintain Your Chainsaw?
It is one of the most important factors to study because a well-maintained tool is one that lasts for a long time. Many come with auto lubrication of the chain, but cleaning would still be crucial, it helps to maintain the product efficiency and also makes it safe to use.
- Ensure that you choose a sturdy and stable workbench for cleaning the saw.
- The first step in cleaning is to remove the chain to access the groove better where it fits.
- Even if you have equipment that comes with auto lubrication for the chain, use oil to lubricate it thoroughly once you remove it.
- Check the filter for any blockage and clear off visible dust from all movable parts.
Here Are Some Reasons Why You Should Learn How to Clean Your Equipment
Sawdust and grease are all likely to add friction to movable parts, it can bring down the efficiency of a machine. Even when you are operating it with a fully charged battery, cuts might not be smooth, or the job might take slightly longer than you expect.
Fine dust and debris often get trapped in the chain links, it can lead to dislodging of a chain when it’s reeling at high speed. If a chain gets lubricated with a dose of oil without clearing out this dust, the dust gets trapped in the oil, further worsening the situation.
When you clear out the entire gunk from your machine after every use, you would have it running smoothly like a new one, every single time.
How Much Does a Chainsaw Weigh?
It depends on the type of saw you choose. Budget Gas-based chainsaws tend to weigh slightly more than their electric counterparts. In an electric saw category, some super light ones can weigh just around 6 lbs and can go up to 12 lbs or more. A type of motor and application, for which equipment is designed, influence its weight.
How Big of a Chainsaw Do I Need?
To answer this question, you should be clear about size or the branches or logs thickness you would be cutting. Pick a saw that comes with a guide bar length at least 2-inch longer than the thickness of the branch. It gives a clean finish and a more fitted cut. Variants with longer bar lengths are relatively tougher to handle especially for an average home user. This length can also add to the weight, making it difficult to handle.
How to Adjust the Chainsaw Chain?
It depends on the type of equipment you choose. Some come with easy knob controls, you can turn a knob to increase or decrease tension. There are others where you might need a tool to adjust the tension. Right pressure gives you proper mode of operation and the correct type of cut as well.
Verdict and Our Recommendations for 2020
We’ve created a list of the best small chainsaw options 2020, you’ll definitely find a proper one for your household here! HomeMakerGuide’s favorite instrument is DEWALT DCCS620P1 20V MAX, we love it for all-around performance. It is convenient no matter how good you are at handling such devices.
Whatever your preferences are, it is easy to find a suitable chainsaw from our collection!
So, have you found a chainsaw from this list that matches your expectations?