- 1 Top 10 Best Smallest Air Conditioners: Comparison Table
- 1.1 Best Overall: #1 Best Seller In Window Air Conditioners - Frigidaire Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Air Conditioner Review
- 1.2 Quick Cooling: #1 Best Seller In Portable Air Conditioners - Black+Decker 10000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Review
- 1.3 Compact & Functional: Danby Portable Air Conditioner 6000 BTU Review
- 1.4 Small But Mighty: Frigidaire 17
- 1.5 Versatile: EdgeStar Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier and Fan Review
- 1.6 Energy Saving AC: Honeywell Portable Air Conditioner Review
- 1.7 Easy-to-care Filter: MIDEA 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner Review
- 1.8 User-friendly Design: Quilo Portable Air Conditioner Review
- 1.9 Lightweight 3-in-1 Unit: Honeywell Compact 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner Review
- 1.10 Quiet: SHINCO Portable Air Conditioner Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know about the Best Smallest Air Conditioner
- 2.1 Smallest Air Conditioner Benefits
- 2.2 How Do Air Conditioners Work?
- 2.3 What Size A/C Do I Need?
- 2.4 How Much Energy Smallest Air Conditioner Needs?
- 2.5 How to Choose the Best Smallest Air Conditioner
- 2.6 Best Smallest Air Conditioner Types
- 3 Best Smallest Air Conditioner FAQ
- 3.1 Are There Air Conditioners or Small Windows?
- 3.2 Do Smallest Air Conditioners Need Professional Installation?
- 3.3 How Can I Cool My Apartment Without AC?
- 3.4 Is A Small Air Conditioner Energy Efficient?
- 3.5 How to Clean Small Air Conditioners?
- 3.6 How Often Do I Need to Clean Mini AC?
- 3.7 How Long Do Mini Split Air Conditioners Last?
- 4 Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
Top 10 Best Smallest Air Conditioners: Comparison Table
Best Overall: #1 Best Seller In Window Air Conditioners - Frigidaire Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Air Conditioner Review
- Install it at the window to maintain a steady temperature in your bedroom or office
- Control the temperature prolifically with 1465.36 W cooling power
- With the 150 Sq. ft. cooling coverage, keep your kitchen or living room comfortably cool
- Have more control over air flow with 2 fan speeds
- Mechanical rotary controls with 2 cool speeds and 2 fan speeds to achieve climate control when you need it most with
Quick Cooling: #1 Best Seller In Portable Air Conditioners - Black+Decker 10000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Review
- QUIET & POWERFUL - Our 10,000 BTU compact air conditioner (16.5 x 11.5 x 26 in,) will keep you cool and comfortable all summer. An adjustable fan speed cools the air to 65°F at the coolest setting. Sleep mode makes it extra quiet while you rest.
- PERFECT FOR SMALL ROOMS - This floor-standing portable AC unit provides steady, fast, effective cooling for rooms 150 - 250 sq. ft. It’s the ideal small air conditioner for dorms, apartments, cabins, campers, offices, bedrooms, or living rooms.
- SIMPLE & QUICK TO INSTALL – Just roll this portable air conditioner with wheels into any room with a double hung or sliding window. Attach the included hose (4’ 11”) & window adapter, & plug it in to an outlet! When not in use, just unhook & store.
- EASY TO USE & CLEAN – The simple remote control & top-mounted LED display with 24-hour timer allow you to precisely control the air temperature. To clean the filter, just slide it out twice a month, rinse it thoroughly under running water, & put it back.
- 3-in-1 FUNCTIONALITY - Combines 3 energy efficient functions for all of your cooling & ventilation needs with cool, fan, & dehumidifying modes all in one machine. Bucket-less, self-evaporating operation makes your living space cool, clean and dry.
Compact & Functional: Danby Portable Air Conditioner 6000 BTU Review
- Convenient 3-in-1 design: air conditioner, fan and dehumidifier
- 6, 000 BTU (3, 000 SACC) portable air conditioner cools spaces up to 250 square feet
- Powerful 2-speed fan
- Dehumidifier Mode with direct drain for continuous operation
- Not for sale or distribution in the state of California, shipping or sale into the state of California is prohibited by California law
Small But Mighty: Frigidaire 17
- Window Air Conditioner with 5000 BTU Cooling Capacity
Versatile: EdgeStar Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier and Fan Review
- Cools 150 to 225 Square Feet (depends on heat load); Rolling casters for mobility
- 24 hour programmable timer; 3 speed fan with directional air discharge louvers
- Dehumidifier function- Up to 50 pints/day; Adustable digital thermostat control
- 55" max window kit with extendable exhaust hose up to 49" included; Exhausts most if not all condensation automatically
- Washable pre filter included; Please note: All portable air conditioners including this one must be vented using the included hose
Energy Saving AC: Honeywell Portable Air Conditioner Review
- Stylish, powerful & dependable. Thermal overload protection for added safety & peace of mind. Automatic vertical wind motion helps distribute powerful cool air evenly for fast & consistent cooling
- Dual filters designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance. Filters clean easily under a faucet for easy maintenance. Full set window kit included for quick & easy installation for vertical and horizontal windows (max. Hose length is 4 feet)
- Designed for comfort with 3 fan speeds, sleep mode, digital controls, 24 hour energy saving timer & remote control with digital display included
- Stress-free auto evaporation – no bucket to empty (except in areas with high humidity). built-in dehumidifier removes up to 80 pints/24 hours with continuous drain option for long unattended operation
- 9000 btu (ashrae-128 standard)/5000 btu (doe+ 2017 standard)
Easy-to-care Filter: MIDEA 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner Review
- EASYCOOL: The ASHRAE rating 12,000 btu (7,400 BTU 2017 SACC standard) portable air conditioner easily cools rooms up to 100 square feet while simultaneously providing fan and dehumidification functions. Perfect for your bedroom, studio, and apartment
- FUNCTIONAL INNOVATION - Easy-to-read digital LED control panel provides exact control over sleep setting, timer, fan, mode (cooling, dehumidification, fan only), temperature, and power functions. An indicator light lets you know when it’s time to clean the filter
- EVERYTHING INCLUDED - Unit shipped with a full-function LED remote control (batteries included) as well as all necessary installation accessories (window bracket and clip-on/drain hose). A proximity control feature in the remote adjusts cooling based on your distance from the unit
- EASY INSTALLATION - Cool any room without the fuss. Simply install our included airtight bracket in the existing frame and connect the clip-on drainage hose. Works with both hung and sliding windows
- WORLDWIDE WARRANTY - Midea is the world’s largest provider of air conditioning products. As a testament to our dedication to quality, we offer a one year parts and labor warranty on this product
User-friendly Design: Quilo Portable Air Conditioner Review
- AUTO EVAPORATING EXHAUST HOSE: No drip pans. No drainage. No hassle. Humidity is collected and automatically evaporated to the outdoors. Unit carries a 10,000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard)/ 6,500 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard) cooling rooms up to 450 sq. ft.
- SOFT-TOUCH CONTROLS & QUIET SLEEP MODE: The Quilo portable air conditioner keeps your bedroom, home or apartment cool and dry. Three fan speeds, 24-hr timer, full-featured remote, plus a quiet 45dBA output on sleep mode for disturbance-free nights.
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION & WINDOW KIT INCLUDED: Air conditioner is equipped with a flexible exhaust hose and a versatile window kit for quick installation. Able to expand to 49.6", it can be used horizontally or vertically to adapt to many window layouts.
- BUILT-IN DEHUMIDIFIER TO COMBAT DAMPNESS: Removes up to 80 pints of moisture per day with continuous drain for long unattended use. Attachable drain tube is included. In climates with acute humidity, an internal tank collects the excess moisture.
- EASY MAINTENANCE & DESIGNED TO ROLL: Smooth gliding wheels roll the air cooler from room to room. Long-lasting, easy-to-clean filter protects unit from dust, hair and residue.
Lightweight 3-in-1 Unit: Honeywell Compact 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner Review
- 3-in-1 Air Conditioner, Fan and Dehumidifier
- Ideal for targeted spot cooling in rooms between 350-450 sq. ft. Temperature range: 61° F to 89° F
- Built in dehumidifier removes up to 61 pints/24 hours with continuous drain option for longer unattended dehumidification.
- Washable dust filter helps reduce dust, with convenient filter clean alert for easy maintenance.
- What's Included? 3-in-1 Portable AC Unit, Window Installation Kit, Remote Control w/ batteries.
Quiet: SHINCO Portable Air Conditioner Review
- 【KEEP COOL】- Compact 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Unit Delivers Fast, Effective Cooling for Spaces Up to 200 Sq.Ft in Home, Bedroom, Office, Cabin or Camper. When the room is cool enough, switch to the first speed level,this air conditioner will become quiet(Noise ≤52dB), enough to maintain the temperature while you are sleeping.
- 【MULTI-FUNCTION MODES】- 3 functions in one machine. Air conditioner cools your room quickly; 2-speed fan satisfies your needs. With 60 pint dehumidifying capacity per day, the dehumidifier function is a quick fix for stopping the growing of bacteria and mold in hot and humid environment, keep your room cool and dry!
- 【SELF EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM】- The portable ac is built with self-evaporative cooling technology that cools the condenser coils with water from the air. This not only increases cooling efficiency, it also reduces the water that collects in the tank, so you won't have to empty it as often.(R410a refrigerant)
- 【EASY TO USE】- LED display and simple selections control panel,full-featured remote, 24-hr timer, plus a quiet ＜52dB output on Low speed mode for disturbance-free nights.Four castors wheels make it easy to move from place to place, You can place it on bedroom, study, living room, kitchen, small office, RV, party and etc.
- 【QUICK INSTALLATION】- Window is mandatory and necessary for it to work.an exhaust hose and window kit is included, and no extra tools are needed for assembly. Installation instructions are simple, and can be done by anyone in 5-10 minutes. For any questions, please contact Shinco support at [email protected] We will respond within 24 hours.
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know about the Best Smallest Air Conditioner
Smallest Air Conditioner Benefits
- There are no restrictions – As you might know, in many city ordinances or HOA’s, or even apartment building, have a strict policy about not allowing you to have even the smallest window air conditioner so it makes sense to switch to the smallest portable air conditioner
- A small space requires a small unit – It is known about the common trend of living in small spaces, especially in big cities, and that pushed ahead of the practicality of looking to own the smallest portable air conditioner out there and survive those hot summer days.
- Keep cool and cut costs – As you might know, there are also economic reasons to be considered when getting yourself a compact window air conditioner, as you will feel a significant decrease in the monthly energy bill and get your return of investment pretty fast.
- On-the-Go alternative cooling solution – Because there are several models of travel trailers, pop-up campers or RVs that are equipped with unreliable systems of cooling, and that is if they have one, to begin with. So a compact air conditioner is a great alternative option for both a short vacation or for a permanent layout.
How Do Air Conditioners Work?
Simply put, the devices are designed to provide cool air from outside through the ductwork and remove the heat out it, and then redistribute it in the house.
A mini compact window air conditioner, for example, has a split system that will change the refrigerant’s state from gas to liquid for moving it around the whole unit.
Every unit, even the best small air conditioner, has a thermostat that can be programmed to any setting you like, ranging from temperatures to intensity levels and angles of distribution.
What Size A/C Do I Need?
There are a couple of key factors here that need to be considered when deciding the size of your unit, and the minimum required power. Take the area of the designated room and multiply that with 25 to find out the necessary BTUs required out of your next smallest ac unit.
Let’s go with this example: we have a 12 by 15 feet room and we must find out the optimal BTU required to cool it. To do this you multiply 180 sq. feet by 25 and you get 4500 BTU, the cooling capacity that you need.
How Much Energy Smallest Air Conditioner Needs?
Even if we are talking about compact portable air conditioners or any other unit, they need roughly 600-700 watts to function at high capacity. Don’t forget that you will need to choose the correct wall to mount the unit on, as you want to make sure the wind is blowing towards the house.
How to Choose the Best Smallest Air Conditioner
To make sure that you will get the best small portable air conditioner for your apartment, we will walk through some of the most important features to take into consideration.
Whenever you plan to add even the smallest mini split for your A/C system, take into account the available space that you have in your room, so you can determine the size of the A/C unit you are about to purchase.
Weight can be an important factor if you plan on buying the smallest RV air conditioner for your new RV as you will probably move it around pretty often and you want to do that as smoothly as possible with not a big effort.
Because there is quite a bit of discussion around this subject, we figured it’s best to lay out the basic notions about these two systems and let you all decide by yourselves what the best option for you is.
- Split system – is basically a system that has a part of it located on the outside part of your wall and the rest is usually fixed on an interior wall. A few of the advantages would be that it can be a cheap small air conditioner system that will most likely fit into your budget and that it is operated by a remote that puts you entirely in charge of the room temperature and settings.
- Ducted system – is quite different from the split system, even with the smallest window AC, as it usually has the entire unit concealed in the roof space from where the cooled air is being directed towards multiple zones or rooms within your apartment. The only visible part of the ensemble is the air vents.
When getting for yourself the smallest BTU air conditioner you have to make sure that it will cover the desired area of your room, as you don’t want to end up waiting a long time until it can reach the desired temperature. For an average room of 180-250 square feet, the needed capacity of a compact air conditioner would be around 6,000 BTUs per hour, so you can have an idea about how to calculate your needs.
The energy efficiency level will give you a perspective about how much a summer bill will be and how it will look like. The best air conditioner for small room setup will be one that will be able to cool/heat the temperature of the air with the smallest energy consumption levels possible.
Make sure you ask for professional advice when determining the smallest ac you can install in your home
If you happen to have a small baby sleeping in the room where you are about to install even the smallest air cooler, it would be recommended to check the noise level described in the product’s features list. Some of the quietest units generate about 50-60 decibels when running at an average speed which is no louder than a normal conversation between two people.
If you know you are a light sleeper or have a small child, then consider this feature as a mandatory one when going out for shopping.
When looking at the number of controls that are available for you to customize, you will want to consider the temperature settings, the option of a timer that can allow you to program it to run for a certain time without having to worry about doing it manually by yourself, as you would with the smallest mini split acMost of the manufacturers have included all the basic needs into the remote processor and you shouldn’t have any difficulty in getting all that you need.
The remote control is an important aspect of the deal as it can bring you ease in controlling and modifying the air conditioner’s cooling patterns or temperature. Even the smallest portable air conditioner on the market will have one in the box. You can even set the angle of distributing the air around the room or the patterns that you want to follow.
Several brands are famous for manufacturing some of the best air conditioning units on the market, brands like LG, Honeywell, Haier, Whynter, Friedrich or Luna.
The average prices of the smallest RV ac unit will revolve around $400 – $600 for a system of portable air conditioner inside your home. Of course, it may differ from store to store, and we wanted to talk about the average budget of a person for these types of projects.
This is the mode that allows you to set the system up for making the room warmer, maybe in those cold winter nights or whenever you feel like it.
This mode allows you to set the unit to dehumidify the air in the room when it gets too clammy and the humidity rises above the normal levels, and you should find it available on the smallest split air conditioner
The timer feature will allow you to save energy as well, by programming it to run only when you are in the room, and automatically turn off when you know there is no need for cooling.
Best Smallest Air Conditioner Types
Now that we are more familiar with how the best small air conditioning unit should feel like, let’s go through several types of A/C units that you have available in most of the stores.
Window air conditioner
Most of the people usually go for the smallest size window air conditioner they can find and we are not saying they are wrong. We are saying that you should always calculate the air conditions necessity around the house and install the proper setup for you and your family members.
Portable air conditioner
You always have the option of choosing to install a portable air conditioning unit in your home, because you have certain limitations or preferences about the type of system that will be used in your home.
Most of the consumers go for the portable version, after reading small air conditioner reviews on the internet. The portable units are easier to move around and you can customize the airflow much more easily.
Personal (tabletop) air conditioner
For the people that have limited space and only want a breath of fresh air when staying at their desk, there is the option of personal USB air coolers for the desk that can be used at the office, at home, or even be carried in the outdoors. This is a cheaper version of the best smallest air conditioner, and as long as it reaches its target we don’t have a problem with its existence.
Best Smallest Air Conditioner FAQ
Are There Air Conditioners or Small Windows?
Several brands manufacture special air conditioning units for small windows that are located in small apartments, as more and more young persons are moving towards big cities with small living areas in the apartment buildings. Besides, most of them already have the best window fans installed, usually on the bathroom small window that is designed to smooth the airflow inside and keep the air crisp and fresh.
Do Smallest Air Conditioners Need Professional Installation?
Some of the best portable air conditioners are designed specifically for being easily used by the end-user, and they usually require no special training to put it in place. Some models require only to plug them in and turn them on. Of course, when it comes to bigger A/C units that you have to install around the windows of the house, it is best recommended that you contract a professional team and take no risks in unnecessary injuries or even worse. This also answers anyone wondering ”how to vent a portable air conditioner without a window?”.
How Can I Cool My Apartment Without AC?
In case you don’t have any A/C units around your home, and you don’t quite afford it, then we will offer you several tips and tricks about keeping your home as cool as possible. There is no problem in not owning an air conditioning unit, as there are alternative actions that can also keep temperatures under control, in those cruel hot summer days.
- Try to keep all your curtains or blinds closed during the day, as the sun will go straight through your windows and into your home, making it harder to remove it afterward as it might take you some time to cool the room.
- When the night comes, try to keep your windows open as you will allow the cool air to enter your room and thus lowering the overall temperature inside your house, if you keep it open long enough for it to make a difference.
- The next time you make a visit to the home goods store, make sure you purchase some portable fans for your house as they can prove to be quite useful. Ceiling fans are also a great alternative option that will require almost zero electrical energy and can be also mesmerizing to watch.
Is A Small Air Conditioner Energy Efficient?
A small air conditioner can prove to be much more efficient than a full-sized model, as it will require less energy to be provided for the cooling process. Take into consideration also the fact that your electrical wiring system has a say in this as well if it’s not very good optimized and configured by the specialists.
How to Clean Small Air Conditioners?
The best way to clean the smallest air conditioner is to use warm/hot water and a special detergent solution that can create a mixture for cleaning the dirt and other unwanted debris off of it.
Consider also removing the filter and cleaning it manually with a wet small towel until you can no longer see any dirt on it. This is an important step as it will help you maintain a good shape for your A/C units and they can “serve” you for years and years.
How Often Do I Need to Clean Mini AC?
According to the recent studies and surveys taken among verified users, there is a consensus that if you clean your mini AC once every six months then you should expect no surprises from it and everything will be fine.
How Long Do Mini Split Air Conditioners Last?
We would like for you to know that the average life of a mini-split air conditioner is believed to be around 20 years, which is way longer than the 12 to 15 years life expectancy of the conventional, regular air cooling systems that are on the market.
That is, of course, if you take good care of it and maintain it clean and dust-free.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
Our top pick has to be Frigidaire Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Air Conditioner, as it has all the requirements for being the best smallest air conditioner as it has features like 5,000 BTU generated per hour and great energy efficiency rating. We think that it has exactly everything that we expected it to possess, and we don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t get one for your room or apartment. We hope that we gave you a bit of a wider bigger picture of what to look for when purchasing the best smallest air conditioner 2020 and make sure that you will visit the homemakerguide site to find other home appliances for your house.