American-made, GoPlus's 20-inch portable tool chest is made of heavy-duty steel, and the powder-coat paint increases the item's durability even further. This toolbox on wheels is extremely easy to maintain, too. Just remember to wipe it with a simple sponge or cloth. It's easy to move around thanks to the ergonomic handle, and the smooth rounded edges will prevent any possible impact. The ball-bearing slides of the drawers open and close smoothly, but only when you want them to. And for extra security, there are two latches for locks that will close all the drawers in one move.
This tool chest is an excellent choice for everyone who is tired of Chinesium and favors honest American quality.
Why We Like It
- Made of rugged steel
- Covered in durable and dirt-resistant paint
- Comfortable smart-design handle
This mobile workbench from Husky is actually quite big and heavy-duty. Fortunately, almost no assembly is required, except for attaching the handle and the wheels. Given Husky tool chest size and weight, you might want to use someone's help when you attach the wheels. And, you'll definitely need it if you want to take it upstairs. The 9 lockable drawers are extra-deep: 21.7 inches against the usual 18. It's not a tool chest with speakers, but an extra touch is the integrated power strip that includes 4 regular sockets and 2 USB outlets.
This workbench from Husky is best for storing tools that you don't use too often.
Why We Like It
- Very rugged
- Extra spacious
- Integrated electricity strip and outlets
This rolling tool chest from GoPlus is, in fact, a two-piece set: the upper box is detachable. Both pieces are made of durable cold-rolled steel, and the anti-rust paint increases the durability even more. Customers point out how compact these intermediate tool chests are when they arrive. In part, it's because GoPLus packs its shipments smartly and ergonomically. But still, this tool chest is smaller than it looks on pictures. Aside from the advertised 6 drawers (2 larger and 4 smaller ones), there are 2 trays and additional spacious storage space in the bottom tool chest.
This is an excellent solution for a tinkerer or a handyman, but it probably isn't the best machinist tool chest.
- Very durable steel
- Glossy corrosion-resistant paint
- Secure keyed locking system
This Craftsman's 3-drawer portable toolbox has a 2.5-inches deep top tray and 2-inch deep drawers that slide smoothly and seamlessly thanks to the smart-design under the drawer handles. The draw-bolt latches to keep the lids closed and secure. They close automatically when you close the tray, but they also will open themselves the next time you open the upper tray, so you should watch out for that. You can get rid of this feature by removing the lid pin. Overall, this Craftsman tool chest feels sturdy and rugged, built to last.
Customer reviews often insist that this toolbox is more convenient and enjoyable to use as stationary than as portable.
- Draw-bolt latches and hasp-and-staple lock for ultimate security
- Smooth-sliding drawers
- Sturdy feel
- Heavier than it looks
40-Galon 037025H 50-Gallon chest from Stanley resembles a suitcase, especially when you see the pull-out handle. This Stanley tool chest is, however, not only more durable but also bigger than a regular suitcase. It is 34.25 inches deep and, as advertised, can house up to 50 gallons. The drawback is that it makes it impossible to use to carry luggage since most airlines consider it oversized. Nevertheless, it's perfect for its intended use – storing instruments of any size, as well as for some more creative uses: housing a solar power generator or transporting gear and equipment for horse competitions.
These Stanley mobile tool chests are excellent for transporting larger pieces of equipment.
- The price is quite reasonable for such a massive item
- Heavy-duty wheels
- There are not too many products like this on the market
- Only one tray inside
- The plastic hinges that keep the lid open are weak
- A VERSATILE METAL CHEST FOR ALL DIY PROJECTS: Our new 2-drawer heavy-duty steel chest premiered at the 2019 National Hardware Show to rave reviews. This stylish metal case is ideal for storage, transport, and organization. We picked just the right hue that matches our pink line of household tools and produced it at a competitive price without sacrifice of quality. The sleek design fits in so many places -- in garages, workshops, kitchens, even bathrooms and bedrooms. The smooth, powder-coated finish offers a great wow factor in pink.
- Drawers open smoothly and effortlessly: thanks to the ball-bearing mechanism. Two ample drawers and a deep top storage compartment allow for maximum organization and flexibility. The chest is designed for easy transport with a center latch and a comfortable handle for easy lifting. We’ve added non-slip drawer liners to prevent your items from rolling when opening the drawers.
- The only limit is your passion: originally designed as a traditional tool cabinet, This metal chest looks great in any room in the house or to bring on the job. The metal chest is perfect to hold school supplies as well as the ideal container for sewing, sculpting, knitting, craft supplies, journaling or to hold cooking or art Supplies. Use it as an organizer for hair and make-up, or to protect and display small toys, collectibles or jewelry. The chest is set up to accommodate a small lock to keep your important items out of reach.
- Pink ribbon: a portion of the purchase of this tool chest is donated to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Apollo Tools, LTD is donating $0. 75 from this purchase to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Bar's Mission is to advance the world’s most promising research to eradicate breast cancer in our lifetime.
- If any part becomes defective in material or workmanship, we will replace it free of charge with the same item or a like item of equal value. This applies to products purchased Within the contiguous United States and Canada.
Like all Milwaukee products, their heavy-duty rolling tool chest can boast rugged charm and unmatched durability. The all-melded steel construction allows this pro steel tool chest to hold up to 1800 pounds of weight, and the textured powder coating will last for ages. This Milwaukee tool chest is 62.5 inches tall and has 27223 cubic inches of storage capacity with 16 drawers of different sizes. Moving it around, however, is effortless thanks to the polypropylene fixed-and-swivel casters and three tubular handles. You must be ready, though, that all these advantages reflect in the item's price.
Like everything from Milwaukee, this chest is for someone who appreciates the quality and durability of what they keep in their garage.
- Milwaukee's unmatched quality and durability
- Despite the heavy gauge, it's easy to move around
- Extremely spacious
- Quite expensive
- The lock is somewhat finicky
- Thick and absorbent vinyl-protected multi-layered padding maximizes protection and comfort
- Includes three 12-3/4 x 7-3/4 x 2-1/4 inches and 16 extra onboard storage slots
- Featuring four 2-1/2-inch ball-bearing swivel casters for easy movement in all directions
- Organize screws and bolts with the two foldable magnetic storage trays
- Holds up to 350 pounds of evenly distributed weight
- DIMENSIONS: 23.5 in. H x 22.1 in. W x 11.3 in. D
- DURABLE AND STRONG: Weather-resistant polypropylene construction prevents rusting, peeling, and denting
- LOCKING: Features a central locking system so each drawer stays secure before, during and after use
- PORTABLE: Easy to assemble caster wheels make this tool chest mobile and convenient for any mechanic to roll around garage for multiple tasks
- LARGE TOOL STORAGE: The bottom drawer offers deep storage space for a power drill, socket set and wrench organizer
Keter's 241008 portable rolling organizers or simply Masterloader is a unique product. Other large-sized mobile chests are few, made from steel, and belong to a completely different price category. Using an alternative material allows manufacturers to cut down the price, and the polypropylene resin is just as sturdy, but, unlike metal, it's 100% waterproof and resistant to chemical damage. The item looks somewhat futuristic with its automatic central locking system and sliding topmost bins. There are more bins and dividers to let you organize the storage space inside. Unfortunately, it doesn't come in different colors, so you can only have a black tool chest from Keter.
In many situations, you cannot afford to be prejudiced against a non-metal tool chest – for example, if you're a plumber or you need your chest waterproof and resistant to chemical damage. That's when Keter's Masterloader will be your loyal friend – and it's not heavy on the budget, too!
- A unique product – the nearest analogs are made of metal and are much more expensive
- Polypropylene resin is arguably more durable than metal
- Automatic locking for increased security
- Heavier than you'd expect a non-metal chest to be
- The bottom area has less room than you'd imagine – because of the wheels
Even though the choice of any chest cabinet remains a very individual process, first-time buyers should always consider the following aspects. The right combination of those ensures ultimate performance for every separate homeowner.
How To Choose The Best Tool Chest
First, consider the preferred storage capacity of your ideal toolbox chest. Think which tools you’re going to store in there, their number, dimensions, etc. Decide if you need a tool chest organizer or a simple box with few sorting capabilities. Consider where you are going to use these instruments, and if you need any mobility from a tool box. A lot of shoppers focus on brands and their reputation in the market, but we believe you have to consider size and functionality first. Often, brand names have even less value than colors. Few reasonable people would go with a lousy red tool chest only because it’s their favorite brand or shade.
If it’s going to be a tool chest with tools, you obviously need to consider the number of items you need to store in there. Also, think if you’re planning any new purchases in the future. It’s always a good idea to have some extra space, but don’t go overboard. Sometimes, size matters. Besides, a large tool chest will not fit into a small garage.
Frame Durability Material Quality
This feature is especially important if you need to store plenty of professional equipment, which is quite heavy. Obviously, a plastic tool chest will never be as durable as a wooden one. Still, quality plastic is often sturdier than some metal. So, when shopping for stainless tool chests, double-check if the frame is single or dual. Sure, the second one is a more durable option.
Inner Layout and Organization
Shelves, drawers, and their placement are sometimes even more important than overall storage capacity. If internal storage units are too small or too large, you won’t have a chance to sort out all the instruments properly. So, plenty of valuable space will be lost. Sometimes, a carefully designed, a small tool chest is more efficient than a large item with just a few shelves or drawers.
Best Tool Chest Types
Each of the following tool chest examples can be a great fit if these storage items match your individual needs. As for the common production materials and popular designs, each type has its pluses and minuses. At the same time, they all deserve some attention.
Tool Chest Combo
Tool chest combo is a perfect choice for expert DIYers and professionals. This is a large item with multiple drawers. Besides, all of these drawers have different dimensions, so you will easily sort out smaller instruments from bulkier ones. While such combos are not exactly compact, they offer supreme storage capacity. Many of them come with wheels and allow some portability around your workshop.
Portable Tool Box
This one is a more compact solution and not that different from most tool box organizers. Normally made of plastic or stainless steel, these boxes are perfect for transporting certain tools you need outside the house. Choosing the best portable toolbox is especially important for professional contractors who carry their pro instrument to work. It’s also a good idea for people who hire professional contractors and have only the most basic instruments at home.
Tool Box On Wheels
A tool chest on wheels provides extra mobility, so you can move it around your garage or workshop. However, it’s not exactly a portable solution because most of these items are quite heavy (even without any equipment) and bulky. It is a mobile tool chest in theory, but its mobility is usually limited to your house, yard, or garage.
Wood Tool Chest
A solid wood tool chest is a classic storage solution that will serve homeowners for decades. Besides, it looks classy and professional. This isn’t a portable toolbox, though — wooden models come without wheels, so you will have to fetch your instruments manually, even when working in the garage. On the other hand, if interior decor matters, wood may be the only choice.
Stainless Steel Tool Chest
A stainless steel tool chest is a very popular choice for many DIYers. Its durable frame, rust-resistant qualities, and relatively small weight make this material type a good addition to many households. Besides, they come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors. You can even get a pink tool chest if colors matter.
Metal Tool Chest
The metal tool chest is another common and generally affordable solution. However, you should go with high-quality material if you want your chest tool box to last. The thinner the metal is, the less durable it’s going to be. We suggest double-checking the frame and going with dual frame models.
Lockable Storage Chest
A lockable storage chest is a good option for parents who want to child-proof their workshops and contractors who carry instruments to work. Still, most DIYers can do without such models. While lockable models come in different designs and configurations, most of them are still compact boxes with few storage compartments.
Plastic Tool Chest
Quality plastic can be a top tool chest example if designed and manufactured properly. It’s affordable, lightweight, and can be quite durable. Of course, plastic will never beat genuine wood or quality stainless steel. But, in comparison to poor quality metal, plastic is a wiser idea for garage tool storage.
Our Recommendation for 2020
Each homeowner’s toolkit is quite individual, even though most of them will have the essential basics. So, the choice of quality tool chest drawer organizer remains quite an individual process. We at Homemakerguide have thoroughly reviewed ten best selling models but still believe that GoPlus’s 20-inch portable tool chest is a perfect choice for most households. Even though plastic products have come a long way and one shouldn’t dismiss them as blindly as we used to, there is still nothing better than a good old American-made steel chest. Its durable construction, impressive storage capacity, and reasonable cost make GoPlus’s 20-inch portable tool chest one of the best tool chest 2020 selection has to offer.