- 1 Top 10 best travel pillows: comparison table
- 1.1 Best Overall: Top Comfort - Phixnozar Memory Foam Travel Pillow Review
- 1.2 Perfect Size: Best For Sleeping - VISCO LOVE ProComf Travel and Camping Pillow Review
- 1.3 Top Inflatable Model: Metene Travel Pillow Review
- 1.4 Great For Long Flights: Cabeau Evolution S3 Travel Pillow Review
- 1.5 Designed For Kids: BCOZZY Kids Chin Supporting Travel Pillow Review
- 1.6 Versatile: Dot&Dot Twist Memory Foam Travel Pillow for Neck Review
- 1.7 Lightweight & Well-made: Cloudz Microbead Travel Neck Pillow
- 1.8 Easy To Use: Sunany Inflatable Neck Pillow Review
- 1.9 Patented Construction: trtl Neck Support Travel Pillow Review
- 1.10 Machine Washable: J-Pillow Chin Supporting Travel Pillow Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best travel pillows
- 2.1 Inflatable vs non-inflatable travel pillows
- 2.2 How to choose the best travel pillow
- 2.3 Best Travel pillows types
- 2.4 Best Travel Pillows Care and maintenance tips
- 3 Verdict and our recommendation for 2020
Top 10 best travel pillows: comparison table
The obvious way to get started with your search for a best travel neck pillow is to go through some pillow comparison online. After all, there are so many different models out there, and each of them has the pros and cons of its own. Moreover, the choice of options is pretty impressive — different shapes, textures, and brands — evolution pillow, j-model, inflatable version, contoured one — mean that making your choice can become a bit challenging. This is exactly why we decided to come up with a list of best travel pillow reviews. Our fullest compilation includes both inflatable travel pillow reviews and non-inflatable neck pillow reviews. On the whole, the first type is more compact, while the second one ensures steadier neck and head support. The other features are pretty much the same. Still, as you will find out after reading our travel neck pillow reviews, different models come with different perks of their own. So, if you would like to make your travels truly relaxing, get down to our pillow comparison — it should offer you a really nice start with your search. Based on our expertise in the area and customer ratings from all over the globe, the info should be more than enough to help you find the best travel pillow!
Best Overall: Top Comfort - Phixnozar Memory Foam Travel Pillow Review
- THE SOLUTION IS HERE: Do you travel a lot by plane or train? Are you tired with all of the discomfort and neck pain? The solution is finally here with our amazing travel pillow. Enjoy your rest, and relax like never before!
- IMPROVED SUPPORT: The ingeniously designed neck pillow features ideal curves to prevent your head from shifting around, comfortably holding your neck in place, helping prevent any neck soreness or pains that usually come with traveling.
- GUARANTEED TO FIT YOU: The travel pillow is built with an adjustable rope lock so you can easily adjust the angle and size for total comfort. Moreover, as the neck pillow is adjustable, it will fit any neck size perfectly.
- VERSATILE: This is so much more than a neck pillow! The smart ergonomic design allows you to use the travel pillow to sleep on any table or flat surface. Simply turn it upside down! Use the pillow and relax everywhere: in the office, on the plane, bus, or train!
- ULTRA SOFT: The memory foam pillow has an extremely soft cover, that feels amazing on your skin. Moreover, the cover is made from sweat-resistant fabric for additional comfort, and is machine washable!
Perfect Size: Best For Sleeping - VISCO LOVE ProComf Travel and Camping Pillow Review
- PERFECT CUSHIONS FOR UNDERWAY: Whether traveling, by car, plane, train, hotel for a "Power Nap" in the office or on the couch. For a restful and quiet sleep is always taken care of. With our viscoelastic Volar, you will never have to do without the comfort of your home.
- LIGHT AND SPACE: The TRAVEL MATE weighs less than half a liter of water and comes in a practical travel bag. Thanks to handy travel bag, it can be carried everywhere. See pictures.
- ERGONOMIC AND ORTHOPEDIC: Together with sleep experts, we have developed the Smart foam pillow, which provides a perfect sleeping experience and ideal night-time recovery. Our pillow provides an optimal support for the neck and cervical spine (HWS), which prevents back and neck pain as well as tension.
- MOISTURE MANAGEMENT: Microcapsules with a special thermic coating, as well as ventilation ducts integrated into the pillow, ensure optimal ventilation, ideal temperature management and keep you in a healthy microclimate during your sleep. This means less sweating and freezing in your sleep.
Top Inflatable Model: Metene Travel Pillow Review
- INFLATABLE TRAVEL PILLOW WITHOUT BLOWING- This travel pillow inflates with a button. Press repeatedly on the lower profile of the pillow till you reach your expected inflation! To release the air, just push double sealed black air valve given on the pillow.
- SCIENTIFIC DESIGN- Innovative design for Metene Travel Pillow will give you utmost comfort by providing a‘Raised Neck Support' to hold your head upright and maintain proper neck alignment!
- SOFT VELVET MATERIAL AND WASHABLE COVER– This travel pillow is manufactured with very soft, micro-velvet fabric ,so it is a excellent travel pillow for kids with soft quality. Besides, the cover is removable and washable.
- EASY TO CARRY- After deflation, you can easily put the travel pillow into the bag. it will be a great portable travel pillow for cars, trains and airplanes.
- PERFECT GIFT FOR YOUR LOVED ONES- Let your love ones taking vacations more comfortable with Metene Inflatable Travel Pillow.
Great For Long Flights: Cabeau Evolution S3 Travel Pillow Review
- PATENTED ALL SIDE SUPPORT, FLATBACK AND SEAT STRAP SYSTEM – The Evolution S3 is the ultimate head and neck support to prevent you from falling forward while sleeping, gaming and lounging.
- PLEASE SEE VIDEO– The average person turns in their sleep every 15 minutes*. Prevent strain with upright head support with the Evolution S3, supporting BOTH SIDES AND IN FRONT no matter how gravity weighs you down. The Evolution S3 is the ONLY neck pillow on the market with a Seat Strap System that eliminates head drop and neck pain by attaching to your headrest, keeping your body in PERFECT ALIGNMENT.
- COMPACT TRAVEL CASE cuts the pillow size in half! Quick-release clasp attaches to your bags, saving critical storage space – providing great convenience wherever you roam.
- DOCTOR RECOMMENDED – Science states IDEAL sleep temperatures are at 60-67°F and over 25% of blood travels to your brain through 2 frontal arteries in your neck. Mediocre one-sided pillows wrapped around your neck lead to dangerous compression of your blood-brain highway, resulting in overheating and sweating. Our pillow’s front opening allows heat to escape. Moisture-wicking machine washable cover promotes cooler sleeping environments, keeps your neck dry, and eliminates bacteria and odors.
- RESPONSIVE MEMORY FOAM molds to your unique contour, helping vital head and neck points. Our adjustable clasp offers chin support to accommodate varying neck sizes so you FALL ASLEEP AND STAY ASLEEP. *De Koninck, Joseph. “Sleep Positions and Position Shifts in Five Age Groups: An Ontogenetic Picture.” Sleep: Journal of Sleep Research & Sleep Medicine, Vol. 15, No, 2, 1992, pp. 144 –145.
Designed For Kids: BCOZZY Kids Chin Supporting Travel Pillow Review
- [BEST CHIN SUPPORT NECK CUSHION FOR KIDS]- If your child struggles with trying to sleep in their car seats during long rides the BCOZZY pillow is for you. Ergonomically designed to comfortably and simultaneously support the head, neck, and chin during car rides, BCOZZY kids’ travel pillow is the BEST neck pillow on the market. The super-soft overlapping arms have a closure feature that enables accurate adjustment and allows you to choose the best fit for your child.
- [EASY TO CARRY AND FULLY MACHINE WASHABLE] – BCOZZY Kids’ travel pillow has a built-in snap strap for hanging so it will not get lost or dirty. The stylish pillow bag has both a snap strap to clip to your handbag and an elastic band to attach to the trolley handle. Also, it can be compressed to less than half of the original size and easily fit into a travel bag. The entire pillow is machine washable and lump-free. Your child will use it for many years.
- [OUR CUSTOMERS LOVE BCOZZY PILLOW] “These are great. I love the way they are thin in the back so that it doesn't bother their neck by pushing it forward with a car seat. Best road trip purchase!”, “Our best bet for our 4y/o's car seat neck pillow. Soft and fits perfectly on her.”, “My granddaughter needed a travel pillow and this was purchased as a gift for her. She never leaves home without it.”
- [MAKES A GREAT GIFT TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS]- Give your friends and family a great gift that will help any child to sleep longer and better on the plane, in a baby stroller, and a car seat and arrive at the destination well-rested. Recommended for children ages 3 to 8 years old.
- [FULLY GUARANTEED] Customer satisfaction is our top priority. If anything goes wrong, contact us and we will make sure you will get the best customer experience possible.
Versatile: Dot&Dot Twist Memory Foam Travel Pillow for Neck Review
- PROVIDES CUSTOM SUPPORT - Unlike most traditional airline travel pillows, our twistable travel pillows contour to almost any shape and position you want to provide you personalized support and pain relief.
- NOT JUST A NECK PILLOW - Dot&Dot travel neck pillow is versatile and is convertible. Use it to support your head, back, shoulder, or cervical spine during a nap, when relaxing or reading on the bed or couch.
- A "MUST HAVE" FOR TRAVEL - This flight pillow makes sleeping more comfortable on air planes, trains, buses or cars. The luxury memory foam cushions the body and relieves painful pressure points for ultimate relaxation.
- EASY TO CLEAN - Our memory foam pillow is covered with breathable, machine washable cotton cover so you can easily keep it clean and fresh for your next adventure or trip.
- EASY TO CARRY: With its snap closure, this cushion can be attached to your carry on luggage or backpack. It also allows you to secure the pillow around your neck or car headrest.
Lightweight & Well-made: Cloudz Microbead Travel Neck Pillow
- THE ORIGINAL MICROBEAD TRAVEL PILLOW by Clöudz! Why take a chance on an imitation? For over 15 years, Millions of happy travelers have used our pillows in airports around the globe!
- FILLED WITH EXCLUSIVE, ULTRA-PREMIUM Comforlite MICROBEADS. Our super small polystyrene beads will give you the relaxing support you need and will conform to your every position. However, they will not crush easily like so many other pillows on the market who use inferior quality beads. Buy the pillow that lasts!
- DUAL COMFORT! Super soft and cozy plush on one side and cool, relaxing spandex on the other. It’s like having TWO pillows and everyone knows how important it is to have flexibility during travel.
- SNAP CLOSURE. Allows you to secure the pillow around your neck to help prevent your head from falling forward so you can catch some Z’s! EASILY ATTACHES TO LUGGAGE. Simply snap around the handle of your luggage or to your backpack. A very handy feature during your travels.
- USE IT AS A LUMBAR SUPPORT! Our pillow doubles as a lumbar support. Super soft and super versatile. USE IT FRONTWARDS LIKE A MASSAGE TABLE PILLOW! Simply close the snap and rest your face forward into the pillow. USE ON-THE-GO OR AT HOME. Our pillow is just as comfortable on the couch or on the bed!
Easy To Use: Sunany Inflatable Neck Pillow Review
- Multi-functional accessories: this inflatable travel pillow is the beginning of a good long journey or napping in the office. Your waist, head, neck, shoulders will no longer feel uncomfortable, just choose the posture you like to relax and have a good sleep and napping. You also can watch movies or play games on your phone within the pillow
- Free gifts: come with the free eye mask, earplugs, help you sleep faster and enjoy your sleep on the trip
- Inflate and deflate easily: the travel pillow will be inflated with a few breaths of air and release the air just by pressing one button. Easy to pack, so it doesn't take up much space in your carry-on
- Like sleep on feather: these travel pillow are made of pvc flocking, the surface material is soft to the touch and caresses your face, nicely
- Super compact ultralight travel pillow: easy to pack and inflatable so it doesn't take up much space with the ultralight weight of 11.2 oz., easily attaches to luggage
Patented Construction: trtl Neck Support Travel Pillow Review
- The TRTL PILLOW is a SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN travel pillow to keep your head in a BETTER POSITION when sleeping upright by holding your head in an ergonomic position during rest. No more nodding heads!
- SUPER SOFT fleece combined with a unique hidden internal SUPPORT, plus some EXTRA COSY CUSHIONING creates a comfortable resting place for your head and neck. Available in RED, GREY, CORAL and BLACK so you can find a colour that suits your style.
- Our UNIQUE PATENTED DESIGN is your ticket to an awesome night’s sleep, wherever you are. Designed to look like a SCARF, the Trtl Pillow can be easily adjusted to your comfort.
- The Trtl Pillow is EASY TO ATTACH to the handle of your backpack or outside of your luggage, and it only WEIGHS HALF A POUND (148 grams)! Say goodbye to bulky neck pillows taking up precious space in your carry on, or weighing you down at duty free.
- ALWAYS FRESH and ready to go, The Trtl Pillow is also MACHINE WASHABLE!
Machine Washable: J-Pillow Chin Supporting Travel Pillow Review
- BEST TRAVEL PILLOW — Ingenious chin support keeps head from falling forward, provides neck support by filling gap between head and shoulders making it the best patented travel support pillow for travel and home.
- If you are interested in trying the J-pillow travel pillow, we have extended our return’s policy to 6 months. You are able to return the pillow at any time during this period for a no questions asked refund, just contact Jensen’s Inventions through amazon.
- PERFECT FOR THE HOME – Crafted for relaxing the head and neck muscles when watching TV or reading and for stabilizing the head for people having trouble holding the head up and need support or to sleep in an upright position.
- SUPER SOFT AND BEST SUPPORT — Supports and keeps head elevated in perfect position for restful sleep. Winner of the prestigious British Invention of the Year.
- EASY CARE AND CARRYING — Handy snap-loop fastener attaches to luggage, durable machine washable, more flexible than standard memory foam travel pillows.
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best travel pillows
Inflatable vs non-inflatable travel pillows
Based on the inflatable travel pillow reviews, these models are the undeniable leaders. No surprise about that — when non-inflated, the pillows do not take any space at all. So, if you are looking for the best travel pillow that would be very compact and light at the same time, an inflatable travel pillow is a wise choice. The idea is simply perfect for public transport — whether a bus, a train, or a plane. However, remember that air models offer less support than cushioned and foam pillows.
Non-inflatable travel pillows: 12X16 vs 14X20
This is one of those decisions where a travel pillow review will not be helpful at all: after all, the size is an individual factor, and no one but you can make this decision. On the whole, smaller versions are lighter and can accommodate most people. But, if you prefer some extra comfort and do not mind a bit of extra weight, why not go with a larger model? Plus, if you use your own transport means, there is usually some space left for a bulkier pillow.
How to choose the best travel pillow
One more thing no travel pillow review will point out is how to choose the perfect model for your needs. No worries, though — we have already taken care of that below.
Mode of travel
This is one of the most important aspects. If you have a lot of luggage, use public transport, or simply love to travel light — the more compact the pillow is, the better.
A plane, bus, or a car seat is not your bed, so the range of positions will be quite limited. In any case, you will stay upright, so the only factor to consider here is whether you like your head to remain straight or you want to keep the head to your side. Any kind of travel-designed pillow is suitable in the first case scenario. If you like your head to the side, j-shaped models are the perfect option.
Our travel pillow review section focused mostly on-air and memory foam fillings. However, other options are also possible, and some of them might be more suitable for your needs and sleeping habits.
A very soft, fluffy pillow that will make you feel at home even on a public bus. The biggest drawback of this filling type is that it gets flat under your body pressure and does not offer sturdy support. On the upside, most down pillows can be washed in the machine.
One of the best options for people who are looking for great neck and head support, memory foam molds to your body shape and ensures the best travel experience. On the downside, these pillows slowly retrieve their shape and may emit some unpleasant chemical smells.
A great example of a synthetic filling type that adjusts to your sleeping position. And, differently from memory foam models, it adjusts the shape quickly. Microbeads can emit some chemical odors, too, but the issue is not too common. Another drawback you should bear in mind is that beads are usually pretty heavy, which is not always ‘compatible’ with travel.
Some of the cheapest pillows made for trips often come with a different kind of synthetic filling — usually, the blend of polyester and cotton fiber. Similar to down pillows, these models will be comfortable, but they will not provide the much-needed head and neck support.
Perhaps, one of the most durable filling types out there. Wool is soft, but sturdy, which is why it ensures great support. It is also relatively quick to adjust to your body shape. Differently from most synthetic fillings, wool can be regularly washed. However, it is quite heavy, which is why not a perfect choice for common carriers.
The main reason for going with inflatable travel pillows is that they are soft, adjustable, and support — a great combo you cannot fight! However, it has a couple of cons, too. First of all, the support is relatively poor. Next, these pillows are easily damageable — one pop, and you are done.
Allergies if any
And, of course, you should remember that some fillings (especially natural ones, like down and wool) may trigger allergies. If you suffer from any of those, hypoallergenic foam is the best decision.
On the one hand, established brands guarantee higher quality. On the other, they charge extra for their name. But, given the low cost on all portable pillows, a little extra charge for a quality guarantee is well worth it.
Even the top-selling models are available at an affordable cost, so if you see a pillow that is obviously overpriced, there must be something wrong with the store.
Best Travel pillows types
Standard cushion pillows
No one says you cannot take a standard pillow on a trip. Sure, it will have to be pretty compact, and this decision can be associated with a number of cons, but if you are driving in the passenger seat of your own car, a classic pillow can come really handy.
The details are in the name — this model has a curved J-like shape. The j pillow, differently from the majority of models designed for travel, can support not only your head and neck but also your chin. So, if you like sleeping with your head to the side, the j pillow is the only reasonable choice.
Another great example of a pillow that can prove handy on the road, the U-shape model will ensure ultimate support for your head and neck. On the downside, it can be a little bulky, which is why it is not the best option while traveling with a common carrier. In a car, on the other hand, it can prove pretty useful — especially if you are not the one in the driver’s seat. On a train, plane, or a bus, a U-shaped model can also support your lower back.
Another great example of a pillow that is not designed for travel, but can prove pretty useful on the road. Differently from most travel models, this little piece can ensure lumbar (lower back) support. Most of the wedge pillows are made of memory foam, which means that they can adjust to the shape of your body. So, even if taking a wedge pillow on a trip might seem a bit strange, the idea is not as bad as it sounds.
Cylinder, aka roll pillows, are another great example of a model that has not been designed for travels specifically, but can still make your trips more enjoyable. This shape can ensure great neck support. However, it will not keep your head from falling, which is a serious drawback.
Travel collar pillows
Most of the neck models look like a collar; this goes both for leading brands, like evolution pillow and cheap Chinese counterparts. This shape is, in fact, what everyone imagines when thinking of a pillow made for travel. Still, despite the variety of options in this particular category, available pillows are not quite the same. No matter if you choose to go with leaders, including evolution pillow, Travelrest, or any other brands we have not covered, stick to quality European and US models that meet international quality standards.
The last type of pillow made for travel is the curved one. On the whole, it is pretty much the same as a neck collar, but looks a bit more like C, with a broader slot for your neck. So, if you feel that standard collars are too suffocating, you can always go with a slightly wider option.
Best Travel Pillows Care and maintenance tips
No doubt, a quality travel pillow review and the instruction manual already give you enough insight on how to maintain the pillow. Still, consider some of our suggestions, too. They will help to significantly prolong the life span of your chosen model.
- always carry the pillow in a case;
- before washing, always consult manufacturer’s recommendations;
- wash the removable cover after each trip;
- think of getting a spare removable cover if you travel often.
Verdict and our recommendation for 2020
After reading all of homemakerguide travel neck pillow reviews, and going through the ultimate shopping guide, you should have no difficulty figuring out the best travel pillow, designed specifically for your needs. But, before you hit the stores, we would like to briefly summarise the main highlights of the article to make sure no vital information skipped your attention. All in all, most pillow models, designed for trips and travel, are pretty much like. Unless you choose to go with some exotic filling options (like feather or wool), you will have a choice between standard neck model with memory foam filling or an inflatable travel pillow. Even though the latter one will require re-inflating on the long trips and will not offer such sturdy support as a memory foam piece, it is way more compact, which makes this model an undeniable champion on the road.