Most types of trees are known for their aesthetic purposes. However, if not well selected, the choice of a tree planted near a homestead can lead to a lifetime regret. For instance, some trees are prone to dropping messy looking fruits which may make your compound look messy too. So the question “What tree to plant in the front yard” will be pretty reasonable. For that reason, you should always take your time to check the type of tree you plant and its intended purpose. Apart from providing beauty in your homestead, trees also act as a source of privacy. They act as barriers that block people from directly viewing your homestead. In this article, we are going to cover all it takes to understand different types of trees best suited for yards or near houses and what trees are safe to plant near a house.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Good Trees to Plant Near House
The journey of deciding on what trees are best to plant near the house relies on the reason for planting the trees. You might be fed up with people watching every activity in your homestead, you may also need a tree for shading yourself and family. Or you may even want one just to make your compound look more beautiful. Different trees are known to be best for different uses.
How Close Should a Tree Be to a House?
The distance that a tree should be planted from a house depends on how tall the tree is. For very tall trees that go over 70 feet, the distance should be 20 feet; for those that have a maximum of 70 feet, the distance should be 15 feet while a tree shorter than 30 feet should be around eight to twenty feet away from the house. You should consider pruning your trees for a better look. Many people have the question: does cutting off dead branches help a tree, but it is a matter of practice and experience to find the right one for you.
What Type of Trees Are Best for Front Yards?
- Crabapple is one of the small flowering trees to plant near the house. The length of the tree ranges from 13-39 feet when mature. It contains a twiggy crown that is dense and flowers that are white, pink, or red. At some stage, the plant develops apples that birds love.
- American hornbeam is among the small trees for landscaping near the house. It features reddish leaves which later turn orange upon falling. The height of a mature tree ranges from 20 to 30 feet.
- American holly seedlings are small trees to plant near the house with broadleaf evergreen and have a shape that is very pleasing to the eye. However, it is good to note that the tree is associated with pests and a few diseases.
- Cornelian-cherry dogwood among the small trees planted in a homestead. It features yellow flowers that have shapes resembling stars. The flowers cover the plant during the early seasons of spring before leaves emerge.
- Flowering dogwood is a beautiful 20 to 40 feet flowering tree with a spreading crown and blooms usually white or pink.
- Japanese maple is in the category of small trees and usually ranges from 3 to 20 feet in height. The plant has a rich color and texture with beautiful shapes that make it one of the best trees to plant near a house for shade.
Best Trees to Plant in the Backyard
- The tulip tree is known for its fast growth to maturity. The tree features orange flowers that make the plant pleasing to see. The maturity height of the plant is 25-foot. It is also one of the best trees to plant near the house.
- Saucer magnolia, as the name indicates, gained its name from the shape of its leaves that resemble saucers. The flowers of the tree are either pink, white that fades to form a beautiful color combination of dark green and smooth grey. A mature tree ranges from 20 to 30 feet.
- Silver maple is one of the most common best small trees to plant near the house. It also grows relatively fast to up to a height of 49 to 82 feet.
- Willow oak trees are best known to provide shades, especially in the streets. One of the major reasons behind this is its fast growth rate. Moreover, it can grow to a height of 120 feet.
- Arborvitae is known to be an evergreen tree and belongs to the cypress family. They can reach a height of 6 feet when mature.
- Pine trees are another known variety of evergreen trees that can reach a height of 150 feet when mature. They are also known to reach very old ages of up to 100 to 1000 years.
Plant the Best Tree Near Your House
Either way, planting trees in your yard is always a good idea. The main thing now is to choose a plant that will delight you with its appearance, and learn how to properly care for it. Learn more about how to turn your garden into a paradise at homemakerguide.com.
Are you still unsure of the tree to plant in your yard? Or the best tree to plant near your house? If any feel free to leave a comment and your problems shall be solved.