- 1 Top 10 Best Weather Stations: Comparison Table
- 1.1 Best Overall: Professional Grade - Davis Instruments Wireless Weather Station with Standard Radiation Shield Review
- 1.2 Great Weatherproof: #1 Best Seller In Barometers - ThermoPro Waterproof Weather Station Review
- 1.3 Easy To Setup And To Read: Ambient Weather Smart Weather Station with WiFi Remote Monitoring and Alerts Review
- 1.4 Good Customer Support: Ambient Weather WiFi Smart Weather Station Review
- 1.5 Rich In Features: Davis Instruments Wireless Weather Station with LCD Console Review
- 1.6 Convenient: Netatmo Weather Station with Wireless Outdoor Sensor Review
- 1.7 Traditional Design: Ambient Weather Traditional Weather Station Review
- 1.8 Easy To Read Display: La Crosse Technology Wireless Forecast Station with Alerts Review
- 1.9 Comprehensive Weather Information: La Crosse Technology Wi-Fi Professional Weather Center Review
- 1.10 Great For Home Or Professional Use: AcuRite Pro Weather Station Detector Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best Weather Station
- 2.1 What Is A Weather Station?
- 2.2 Why Do You Need A Weather Station?
- 2.3 How Do Weather Stations Measure Temperature?
- 2.4 How Does A Wireless Weather Station Work?
- 2.5 How Accurate Are Personal Weather Stations?
- 2.6 How To Choose The Best Weather Station
- 2.7 Best Weather Station Types
- 3 Best Weather Station FAQs
- 4 Verdict And Our Recommendation For 2020
Top 10 Best Weather Stations: Comparison Table
Best Overall: Professional Grade - Davis Instruments Wireless Weather Station with Standard Radiation Shield Review
- Professional and rugged weather station gives you inside/outside temperature and humidity; rain, wind, barometer, dew point, heat index, wind chill, and more
- Fast updates every 2.5 seconds with 1,000 feet (300 m) wireless transmission range
- Large backlit console with alarms, graphs, forecast
- Anemometer can be mounted separately
- Outdoor sensor suite is solar-powered with battery backup
Great Weatherproof: #1 Best Seller In Barometers - ThermoPro Waterproof Weather Station Review
- 【Cold-resistant & Weatherproof Rechargeable Sensor 】 Waterproof remote outdoor temperature and humidity monitor sensor is completely sealed to guarantee weather updates in rain or snow up to 330 ft. Rechargeable temperature sensor can monitor outdoor temperatures as low as -31°F(-35°C) and maintain a charge for more than 1 year
- 【Weather Forecast and digital barometer Graph】Large Wireless thermometer indoor outdoor display features weather forecast that's able to predict the weather conditions with barometric pressure, 12-24 hours in advance and then display the weather forecast via 5 icons (sunny, partially cloudy, cloudy, rainy and snow). Plan your travel and activities in advance with confidence
- 【Informational】 humidity meter monitors indoor outdoor temperature (°F/°C) and humidity (%RH) and records Min/max Temperatures and humidity percentages with trend arrows to indicate where the humidity or temperature is headed to alert you of changes to your environment
- 【User Friendly Design】4" Large Clear LCD display digital remote thermometer with a backlit button to allow for all information to be easier to read in dim light conditions and superbly simple to use. Place the temperature and humidity gauge anywhere with tabletop and wall-mountable design
- 【Sync up to 3 outdoor Remote Sensors】Home weather stationmonitor can display the readings from up to 3 temperature sensors to monitor different locations【Additional sensor can be ordered (ASIN B072BY1M2V/ B07M6SCWZR/ B07RDPYK1K)】
Easy To Setup And To Read: Ambient Weather Smart Weather Station with WiFi Remote Monitoring and Alerts Review
- Allows you to monitor your home and backyard weather conditions with TFT color display
- Wireless all-in-one integrated sensor array measures wind speed/direction, temperature, humidity, rainfall, UV and solar radiation
- Supports both imperial and metric units of measure with calibration available
- Enhanced Wi-Fi connectability option that enables your station to transmit its data wirelessly to the world's largest personal weather station network
- Console power provided by 5V DC adapter (included), and sensor array requires 3 x AAA batteries (not included)
Good Customer Support: Ambient Weather WiFi Smart Weather Station Review
- Allows you to monitor your home and backyard weather conditions with brilliant, easy-to-read LCD color display
- Wireless all-in-one integrated sensor array measures wind speed/direction, temperature, humidity, rainfall, UV and solar radiation.
- Supports both imperial and metric units of measure with calibration available
- Enhanced Wi-Fi connectability option that enables your station to transmit its data wirelessly to the world's largest personal weather station network
- Pole Mount and 3 x AAA batteries not included
Rich In Features: Davis Instruments Wireless Weather Station with LCD Console Review
- Self-contained weather monitoring system includes Integrated Sensor Suite (ISS), LCD console, and mounting hardware (mounting pole sold separately)
- Console features an easy-to-read, backlit 3 by 4.375-inch LCD display with a glow-in-the-dark keypad
- Wireless transmission from ISS to console of up to 100 yard with fast updates every 2.5 seconds
- Reports current weather conditions, including indoor and outdoor temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, wind speed and direction, dew point, and rainfall
- Console includes weather forecast icons, moon phase, sunrise/sunset times, graphing of weather trends, alarms and more
Convenient: Netatmo Weather Station with Wireless Outdoor Sensor Review
- UNDERSTAND YOUR INDOOR AND OUTDOOR ENVIRONMENT: indoor / outdoor temperature, humidity, air quality, indoor noise levels, barometric pressure.
- RECEIVE REAL-TIME NOTIFICATIONS: use your Weather Station to customise indoor and outdoor alerts and get notifications on your smartphone. Ventilation alerts will tell you when it's time to air out your home.
- ACCESS YOUR DATA REMOTELY AND WITH YOUR VOICE: easily access your weather readings at any time from your smartphone, tablet, computer or by voice via Alexa on Amazon Echo or via Siri thanks to the compatibility with Apple HomeKit.
- ANALYSE PAST READINGS: review your data history to understand what happened while you were away or use graphs to understand weather trends.
- FORECAST THE FUTURE: check seven-day weather forecasts to make sure you're wearing the right gear for your outdoor activities.
Traditional Design: Ambient Weather Traditional Weather Station Review
- Can be hung horizontal or vertical
- Dials are 2.5" in diameter
- Weather station thermometer, barometer, hygrometer
- Solid wood base with cherry lacquer finish
- Fahrenheit temperature scale
Easy To Read Display: La Crosse Technology Wireless Forecast Station with Alerts Review
- Full color LCD with weather icons: sunny, partly sunny, cloudy, rainy, stormy, snowy
- Atomic self-setting accurate time & date with automatic daylight saving time resets.Outdoor humidity range: 19% to 97% RH. Indoor humidity range: 19% to 97% RH
- Monitors indoor & wireless outdoor temperature (f/c) & humidity (%RH) with recorded min/max values
- Temperature alerts (indoor/outdoor). Display: 5.0V AC adapter for primary power; Requires 3 "AAA" Alkaline batteries for backup (not included)
- Reception & low battery indicators. Indoor humidity range: 19 percentage to 97 percentage RH. Temperatures below - 20°F (-28.8°C) require Lithium batteries in the outdoor sensor.Forecast tendency indicator.Signal strength icon for sensor transmission
Comprehensive Weather Information: La Crosse Technology Wi-Fi Professional Weather Center Review
- Illuminated color weather display with adjustable intensity settings and programmable auto-dimming feature
- Dynamic advanced forecast icons with foliage changes seasonally
- Comprehensive weather information; including: WIND (Speed/Direction/History); RAIN (Current to Rainfall Total); TEMP (outdoor with humidity); Heat Index and Dew Point
- Use as StandAlone weather station or Connect by Wi-Fi for bonus features
- EXPAND your system by adding sensors, or even displays, around your Home. Easy setup and Viewable in your free La Crosse View app. For more details, please visit our La Crosse Technology website
Great For Home Or Professional Use: AcuRite Pro Weather Station Detector Review
- 5-1 weather station with future forecast, barometer & weather ticker
- Wireless sensor detects lightning up to 25 miles (40 kilometers) away
- Color display with programmable alarms for lightning, temperature, humidity, pressure, wind speed, direction, rain, heat index, dew point, and wind chill
- Perfect for home and pro use. Plan your day with confidence
- Company Based in Lake Geneva, WI, USA - Since 1943
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best Weather Station
No matter you are going to buy either expensive or cheap weather station, you want to get a quality device with precise readings. However, you might get a headache when you are trying to do research and choose the right model since the 2020 market selection is overwhelming. Different manufacturers offer different features, accessories, designs, materials, various adjustments, etc., and it’s so confusing!
To make your life easier, our team has drafted this Buyer’s Guide so that you know which characteristics are an absolute must and which ones are just optional perks. Choosing the best weather station is not that intimidating as you have probably thought before, just consider several essential factors mentioned below. Besides, here you’ll find the answers to the most frequently asked questions from people who have been looking for such units. We do hope that you’ll enjoy reading and find this post helpful in making the final decision.
What Is A Weather Station?
Generally speaking, a weather station is an object, located on land or sea, which has special equipment and instruments for defining atmospheric conditions (temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind speed and direction, precipitation amounts). This procedure is done for weather forecasts and studying climates. Such a device uses different sensors to measure the weather; the sensors include a thermometer, barometer, and other tools to define humidity, rain, wind, etc. Measurements can be automated or manual; automated measurements are usually taken once an hour whereas manual observations – only once a day.
There are lots of names to these devices: professional weather stations, weather centers, personal weather stations, weather forecaster, home weather stations. You can find the best digital weather station, high-tech, smart weather station, or simple analog one – there is a wide range of options on the market. Both professionals and enthusiasts can find devices that cover their needs.
Why Do You Need A Weather Station?
A home weather station is a must for you if you want to get the most exact weather information right from your backyard. These devices are made to track climate conditions from where you live in real-time. What we like the most in such systems is their ability to make custom forecasts which are tied to your location. On top of that, the best personal weather station can work in tandem with other connected household devices. It means that they can, for example, switch on/off lights and thermostat settings, command web-connected lawn irrigation systems, and garden sprinkles, etc. It’s super convenient for homeowners!
You’ll find basic and more advanced models on the market. What can you use them for?”]
Basic devices are good just for measuring temp, air pressure, and humidity. Advanced systems will define rainfall amounts too, and premium weather stations have the ability to sample wind conditions. Some of the best devices can notice when the sun shines and how brightly. As you can guess, sophisticated models have lots of useful bells and whistles.
How Do Weather Stations Measure Temperature?
A weather station is a complicated device that uses lots of gadgets, tools, and sensors to measure temperature and other parameters. These multiple sensors all work together to give a series of readings and measure the temperature among other climate conditions.
A thermometer is one of the most important parts of a home weather station. It is a sensor that defines the current temperature level. Commonly, it’s used outdoor; however, sometimes people place it indoor. So, basically, for measuring the temperature all that you need is a thermometer. The thermometer gets the readings and converts them into the meaningful info that the weather station kit can use. Such a device like an indoor-outdoor weather station can have more than 1 temperature sensor and take measurements both at home and in the yard.
How Does A Wireless Weather Station Work?
Stations can be wired or wireless. Wireless devices are always more convenient, of course, and the majority of retailers offer these tools.
The best wireless weather station works by using signals which are transmitted from the station to display. Some of the advanced units can be connected to the computer and the Internet; it gives a user the opportunity to monitor, control and record the data from the station with the help of the computer.
Overall, wireless units are easier to install and operate; they are great for both professionals and enthusiasts. Just make sure to pick a wifi weather station with high-quality transmitters so that signals don’t suffer from interference through the walls.
How Accurate Are Personal Weather Stations?
A basic station will commonly be pretty accurate, readings can be just 1 degree off actual value. Unfortunately, they measure humidity poorly – 10-15% off. Speaking about the best weather stations or mid-range ones, they are much more precise: high-end devices are never more than about 5% off.
How To Choose The Best Weather Station
No matter you are on the market for the best whole house humidifiers or residential weather stations, you have to consider some characteristics so that you choose the unit which is perfect for you. In this section, we put together all the necessary info you should know about weather station kits.
Remember, that a simple, basic device has to report temp and humidity at home and outside, plus, measure barometric pressure. A mid-priced, more advanced station can measure wind direction and speed, as well as rainfall. The premium-quality unit, like the best weather station for weather underground, will deliver all features mentioned above and other bells and whistles, such as soil moisture, water temperature, UV index, and more.
Read on to get to know other criteria to take into account when you are choosing an indoor and/or outdoor weather station.
This parameter is important since you have to understand how much place you can give to your new device. If you are restricted by a modest space, choose a mini weather station, as well as the smallest air conditioner. Anyway, before making a purchase, take measurements and see the dimensions of the product.
Consider this factor if you need to lift the station from time to time, e.g. relocate it somewhere. On the other hand, you can pick a wall-mounted weather station, then you just attach the device to a certain surface and forget about it because there is no need to move it. Actually, it all depends on your preferences, and if you choose a kind of a portable weather station, maybe its weight matters for you.
This factor really matters! Actually, you buy this device to know the exact temperature at your site. And, as it was mentioned above, the majority of home weather stations are precise in their readings. However, when you are learning the product description, don’t forget to check the info on how accurate the unit is. And, of course, reach out for customers’ reports – it’s one of the best sources of information for you as a buyer.
If you really need to know the level of humidity at your location, then you must be ready to pay more. Because basic, cheap devices measure humidity poorly – 10-15% of actual value. You’ll need something like 5 in 1 weather station, it’s going to be quite costly, but, as had been said, such units are never more than about 5% off.
Data Transmission Frequency
The best mobile weather station updates observations more often, some do it really quickly and often – 2.5 seconds vs. 30 seconds for a lower-end unit.
If you buy a wireless model, it must be installed on a certain distance in order to work properly. Most RV weather stations have a transmission range from 100 to 330 feet between sensors and a console. However, some of the high-end units can be effective up to 1000 feet away.
Home weather systems are available in different energy modes: electric and solar energy operating.
Electronic weather station works with AC supply; a battery-operated weather station requires AA batteries; the solar weather station soaks sun rays and produces solar energy for oneself. The durability of the unit depends on the brand.
Remote control adds comfort when you are using your remote weather station. So, if it’s an important factor for you, don’t forget to check this extra convenience. As for us, we do like this accessory and always choose units which can boast it.
You should understand that too cheap model can’t have a long lifespan. Manufacturers use lower-quality materials to make inexpensive units, it means that such a station will be less durable. A weather station is going to be outside all year round and it must withstand extreme weather conditions. So, if you can invest in a high-quality device, do it. Otherwise, it may disappoint you with its short lifespan.
When you are choosing your new device, check if it reports more than 1 weather condition. The unit must be versatile and measure as much weather-related stuff as possible. Great if it’s a weather station with wind speed which defines humidity, rainfall, barometric pressure, etc. Although such a device costs more, it’s definitely worth its price.
You have already noticed that some of the devices have extra features, that you might want in your weather station. Such features add to the functionality of the unit or prolong its life. Despite they are not really necessary, extra features help your device to work more effectively.
You may want this option in your weather station if you need to measure wind speed and direction. Note, that you have to create special conditions so that it functions properly: set it 30-35 feet above the ground, the horizontal distance must be 10 times as long as the nearest obstacle.
A weather station with rain gauge is great for those who need to measure rainfalls. Make sure to position it correctly – set it up above the ground at a height of 4-6 feet; horizontal distance must be about 4 times the height of the nearest obstacle.
You might want to buy a station with all-in-one sensors – it’s super convenient if you need detailed reports on the weather conditions at your location.
We understand that the price plays a key role in making the final decision. The good news is that you don’t need to rob a bank to buy a basic device – it’ll cost $150-$200. However, if you want a more advanced model, something like a weather station with a camera and other bells and whistles, you’ll have to pay about $1,000.
Don’t forget to check the warranty – most companies offer a 1-year guarantee. But there are a few units on the market which come with up to a 5-year warranty.
Best Weather Station Types
Weather stations come with different features, also there are two main types available. Without too many details here, it’s still important to learn the types and have a general idea so that you can select the right model for your home.
Home Weather Station
Such a system is right for you if you’d like to have multiple sensors and highly precise data collection and weather prediction. A home weather station is large enough and you’ll have to install it in the open area.
The device can come in basic (3 sensors), medium (5 sensors), and advanced (10 sensors) formats. Some of the premium stations can allow for extra sensors to be added to the device. A home weather station comes with a console; readings are shown on the LCD screen. If you want to change the display settings, just use buttons on it.
Another excellent feature that we do like in-home weather stations is that they are compatible with different apps. It allows for creating forecasts for many days, and understand better how the weather changes influence the environment.
To sum up, if you are hunting for durability, accuracy, and versatility, a home weather station might be the best choice for you.
Portable Weather Station
A portable weather station is a compact device that is used to monitor inside and outside weather conditions. However, with this unit, you’ll only have access to temperature and humidity readings since the sensor array is limited.
Such a station is the right choice for you if you don’t require too much from the device and all you need is to know the indoor and outdoor temperature.
Best Weather Station FAQs
Where Should I Put My Weather Station?
The proper installation of the weather station is crucial, however, it might be challenging, especially if you live in an urban or suburban area. You should avoid obstructions and everything that may result in incorrect readings, such as materials that cool down slowly, e.g. concrete, or dark surfaces. Ideally, the station must be mounted at a height 4-6 feet above the ground, the horizontal distance must be about 4 times the height of the closest obstacle. Make sure that the unit is located away from horizontal surfaces that introduce rain splashing.
How Do I Set Up A Personal Weather Station?
Setting up is not too complicated, but it depends on the type of personal weather station you buy. If it’s wired, you’ll need to deal with wires, and connect the parts of your device with them. This procedure might be a bit challenging for newbies. With wireless gadget setting up will be much easier, you’ll need to insert batteries and mount the station in the right place. Then download software to your computer, if it’s compatible, of course. And, here you go, you are ready to use it!
How High Should A Weather Station Be Mounted?
You should mount the station at a height 4-6 feet above the ground, the horizontal distance must be about 4 times the height of the closest obstacle. Make sure that the unit is located away from horizontal surfaces that introduce rain splashing.
How Do You Calibrate A Weather Station?
To calibrate your weather station, take a console and press the setting button several times until you see the calibration panel. Then press the button to display the temperature field and when it’s highlighted, press “+” or “-” to set it up. When you are done with adjusting, press the “return” button to go back to the main screen.
Do Weather Stations Need To Be Grounded?
No, the weather stations don’t really need to be grounded, it doesn’t prevent bonding (faults). However, people sometimes do it for static and lightning protection. Note, that you won’t be able to make an adequate grounding to prevent a direct lightning strike.
Verdict And Our Recommendation For 2020
A high-quality weather station gives an opportunity to keep an eye on weather changes right from your home. The market of such systems is advancing every year. Modern units incorporate excellent, smart features, are app-compatible and user-friendly. Checking the weather at home with the best weather stations 2020 is so easy and enjoyable now.
For those who are hunting for the top device, we, at homemakerguide, have taken care and made sure they would find it. Our aim was to give insight into the best weather station types, characteristics, features, and accessories so that the readers can make an informed choice. We hope this post is helpful for each weather enthusiast!
Have you found the best weather station for you? What are the most important features for you? Leave your comments in the section below!