- 1 Top 4 Best Weed And Feed For Southern Lawns: Comparison Table
- 1.1 Best Overall: Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass Plus Weed Preventer Review
- 1.2 Long-lasting Effect: Scotts Turf Builder Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed Review
- 1.3 Unique Formula: Scotts Turf Builder Southern Triple Action Review
- 1.4 For Quick Result: Pennington UltraGreen Weed & Feed Lawn Fertilizer Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the best weed and feed for southern lawns
- 3 Best weed and feed for southern lawns FAQ
- 4 Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
Top 4 Best Weed And Feed For Southern Lawns: Comparison Table
Best Overall: Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass Plus Weed Preventer Review
- 2-in-1 formula feeds new grass and prevents weeds for up to 6 weeks
- Prevents crabgrass, dandelions, and other weeds from invading your new grass
- Improves seeding results--also great for sod and grass plugs
- Use on any grass type, whether you're planting new grass, starting a new lawn, or reseeding an existing one
- Covers 5,000 sq. ft.; Not sold in FL
Long-lasting Effect: Scotts Turf Builder Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed Review
- Kills dollarweed, clover and other listed lawn weeds
- Feeds grass to crowd out future weeds
- Builds strong, deep grass roots to strengthen against heat and drought
- Not for use on Bermudagrass
- Only for use on St. Augustinegrass (including Floratam), centipede, zoysia and carpetgrass lawns
Unique Formula: Scotts Turf Builder Southern Triple Action Review
- Scotts Turf Builder Southern Triple Action kills, prevents and feeds
- Kills weeds, including dollarweed, clover, oxalis, plantain, chickweed and henbit
- Prevents and kills fire ants, armyworms, fleas, mole crickets, chinchbugs, sod webworms and ticks for up to 6 months
- Fertilizes to build thick green lawns
- For use on St. Augustinegrass (including Floratam), Centipedegrass, Zoysiagrass and Carpetgrass
For Quick Result: Pennington UltraGreen Weed & Feed Lawn Fertilizer Review
- Fertilizer and kills over 250 broadleaf weeds, including dandelion, henbit, dollar weed, White clover, plantain and chickweed
- Treats northern and southern grasses
- Not for floral St. Augustine
- Quick greening
- Extended feeding
Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the best weed and feed for southern lawns
How to choose the best weed and feed for southern lawns
Nutrients and feeding formula
There are both liquid and granular products available. They are formulated for the southern states mainly Texas or Florida. The weed killer will contain herbicides to kill the weeds like dandelions or crabgrass. It should have the required formula minerals, nutrients, supplements to make the grass thick and healthy. Your best fertilizer for southern lawns must contain Nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium. Nitrogen will make your grass healthy. Phosphorous will make the roots of the grass strong. And potassium will make your grass resistant. The fertilizer for southern lawns needs to be two in one. It will have the weed killer for the dollar-weed, or chickweed and also the fertilizer for the growth of the grass.
While choosing your southern lawn weed and feed, you need to know which product kills the weeds to its roots. The product must kill the weed even after it has grown like chickweed, dollar-weed, dandelions, different broadleaf weeds, white clover. It will prevent their re-growth. You will get rid of the weeds for a long time. Get southern grass weed and feed which have the strongest weed repellent killing more than 200 types of lawn weeds. While buying best weed and feed for southern lawns 2020, look for a formula which has fertilizer, weed killer and also an insecticide. Your grass will be insect-free for almost 6 months.
You will find various types of bags of southern states lawn fertilizer which can cover up to 15,000 sq ft. You can get the fertilizer and weed killer which can cover areas from 5000 sq ft to 15,000 sq ft. If you stay in Florida or Texas then it will be perfect for you. The amount present in different bags will be from 9 lb to around 36 lb. Read weed and feed for southern lawns reviews to be sure of how much you require for your lawn.
Time before visible results
Many of the southern grass weed and feed slow-release formula. There are also quick-release formulas. Slow-release formulas can take 12 weeks to show the results. It is also dependant on rainfall or temperate. There is quick release formula for weed and feed for southern lawns which takes 3 to 4 weeks to make the grass grow healthily. The best lawn fertilizer will make your grass green and make them grow thick and fast. If you’re from southern states like Florida look for the best weed and feed for south Florida as the weather will be warm and suitable to grow thick green grass without any weed or unwanted growth to make a mess in your lawn.
Tips for feeding your lawn
Spring is the most favourable time to feed your lawn with the best organic lawn fertilizer. If you’re from Florida then use the best weed and feed for southern lawns. Check if the temperature of the soil in your lawn is minimum 55 degrees and fertilize. Then redo the job after every 6 weeks or a maximum of 8 weeks and continue through October to have a green weed-free lawn. You need to have a broadcast spreader to spread the formula. You can apply your fertilizer and weed killer quicker and more evenly. Go through weed and feed southern lawns reviews to know more about this specific equipment.
Best weed and feed for southern lawns FAQ
What are common warm-season grasses?
The most common warm-season grasses are St. Augustine grass, Bahiagrass, Bermudagrass Zoysiagrass, Centipedegrass. If you’re from Southern Florida then buy the best weed and feed for St. Augustine grass.
When to fertilize lawn?
Spring is the best season to fertilize your lawn. You have to apply the fertilizer evenly when the soil has a minimum 55 degrees temperature for best results.
How many seasonal applications of weed and weed do I need?
You should start applying your weed and feed from the middle of April which is springtime. Then apply it after 6 to 8 weeks in May which is the beginning of the summer season. You should continue till October which is the fall season.
How to apply weed and feed on southern lawns?
You need a broadcast spreader to spread your fertilizer. This way the chemicals won’t touch your hands and it will be done evenly.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
Here are some of the best weed and feed for southern lawns: Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass Plus Weed Preventer, Scotts Turf Builder Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed, Scotts Turf Builder Southern Triple Action & Pennington UltraGreen Weed & Feed Lawn Fertilizer. Be sure you’ll get nice results if you apply these products properly.