Home Maker Guide created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
ARCHIE ADAMSEditor-in-Chief of the Home Maker Guide
Growing microgreens can be messy when grown in soil. If you are someone scared of the mess, then surely avoiding soil is the best that can be done. In case you want to know how to grow microgreens without soil, it will be best for you to stay hooked until the end. A lot of vital information regarding the same is shared further that you cannot afford to miss!
What Exactly are Microgreens?
Microgreens are plants that have a larger size than the sprouts and are relatively smaller than the baby saplings. The size is a result of their immediate harvesting after they reach the size of sprouts. They are full of nutritional benefits and also have an earthly aura.
Benefits of Microgreens
Hydroponic microgreens have a great number of benefits for human health. Have a look below to know them all:
- Highly Nutritious: As said before, this plant is full of necessary nutrients required by the body. It is rich in magnesium, copper, iron, potassium, zinc, and antioxidants.
- Lowers heart disease risks: It contains polyphenols and other antioxidants responsible for lowering the risk of heart diseases.
- Diabetes: It creates obstacles for the sugar to enter the body cells properly. Therefore, the risk of diabetes also reduces greatly.
- Alzheimer’s disease: As you might already know, antioxidants are great for preventing Alzheimer’s disease. Hence, one must eat the crop to enjoy this benefit.
- Cancer prevention: Certain antioxidants found in the plant are responsible for preventing the growth of cancerous cells.
- A COLORFUL & DELICIOUS microgreen salad mix containing heirloom non-GMO microgreen seeds. 1 LB bulk resealable package.
- THIS MIX CONTAINS broccoli seeds (popular for their sulforaphane rich crop), radish seeds, purple kohlrabi seeds, collard seeds & turnip seeds. A versatile palette pleaser that packs a nutritional punch!
- TOP QUALITY SEEDS with high germination rates. Grown & packed in the USA.
- THIS MIX is designed for growing MICROGREENS (planting in a tray with growing medium). This mix is not designed for sprouting jars or countertop sprouters.
- BROUGHT TO YOU BY FAMILY FARMERS who have been growing for generations. We offer full customer support & we'll do whatever we can to make sure you’re growing your best ever! We're always here to help.
Why are Microgreens to be Grown Hydroponically?
There are several reasons why one should grow microgreens hydroponically. We have jotted down the reasons for you as follows:
- Less water requirement: Soil is the major reason why the plant needs water treatment regularly. However, when you grow microgreens without soil, the water requirement is far less. Therefore, there is no waste of water, and the plant grows steadily. Win-win!
- No mess: Soil is messy, and almost every gardener agrees to the statement. But when you adept a formula of growing a sapling in a soilless environment, avoiding the mess is no hard job.
- Control over place and nutrients: This procedure permits you full freedom of place, nutrients, and fertilizers. You can grow the plant anywhere you feel like and feed it fertilizer in the amount of your choice.
- Grow better: There are a lot of microgreens that prefers the hydroponic set-up more. The major ones include kale, kohlrabi, and grass.
Grow Microgreens Hydroponically Guide
Things Needed to Get Started
- Seeds: Make sure you prefer buying premium quality microgreens seeds that contain no traces of artificial products.
- Growing trays: Ensure that the tray has no holes because growing microgreens without soil mean there will be no departure of excess water. The tray must be 20*10 inches long and 2 inches deep.
- Growing medium: There are multiple mediums to choose from. But we would recommend you stick to hemp mat or coconut coir.
- pH tester: A pH tester is a must for testing the pH level of the water. The pH level must be around 6 to 6.5.
- Light: Light is required after 5 days of planting. You can use either high-power LED grow lights or direct sunlight.
- Nutrients: You can add extra hydroponic nutrients and fertilizers for the effective growth of the sapling.
- OUR PROMISE TO YOU. High quality pH test strips are very sensitive to the environment and changes to temperature. In the unlikely event your pH strips EVER stop working please contact us and we'll send you a replacement bottle straight away. No ifs, no buts, just awesome customer service.
- ACCURATELY MEASURE YOUR PH LEVELS TO MONITOR YOUR HEALTH. Using pH test strips is a quick and easy way to check your pH levels. Following an alkaline diet and increasing fruits and vegetables can result in a number of improved health benefits. To bone health, reduced muscle wasting, cardiovascular health and memory. Watch the videos below for more information.
- BE HEALTHIER & HAPPIER. Your body requires a balanced pH to function at optimal levels. Test your pH more often with 25 free strips. So, 125 strips in each bottle.
- HELPS YOU FIGHT DISCOMFORT IN YOUR BODY. Helps you manage joint pain, osteoporosis, & other common ailments through alkalinity. According to 1931 Nobel prize winner Dr. Otto Warburg “Disease can’t survive in an alkaline body”.
- CONVENIENT & EASY TO USE. Test your pH Levels in the comfort of your own home. Includes emailed step by step PDF guide. 2-year shelf life.
Step-by-step Guide of Growing Microgreens Hydroponically
- Prepare the water: You should prepare the water according to the standard pH level. Nutrients, too, must be added to this water.
- Soak the mat: Cut the growth mat in the apt size to fit the trays. Soak the mat in the water prepared above and draw out the excess water.
- Add seeds: Add the seeds to the soaked mat and mist them with water.
- Cover the seeds: Cover the seeds using another tray.
- Block light: Cover in a manner to block light for 5 days straight.
- Growing: After 5 days, put the tray under sunlight or LED grow light and let them grow. Also, pour the prepared water now.
- Harvesting: After around 12 days, cut the plants from the stem base. Rinse and dry the seeds and store them in a Ziploc bag inside the refrigerator for future use.
- [AUTO TURN ON/OFF & TIMING FUNCTION]: POOUOO Grow Light is the latest in plant growth lamps with an automatic timing function and a USB plug (comes with AC adapter). Not only can you set it up for lighting every 3 hours, 6 hours or 12 hours, but you can also adjust the brightness of the light and the distance between the light and plants, according to plant needs. The circular-memory timer function works automatically.
- [Felxible DIMMABLE MODES & 4 light MODES]: POOUOO’s grow lamps provides 5 basic dimmable modes ,felxible dimmable modes and 4 spectrum modes to suit varied stages of plant growth. It adjusts to levels of 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100% light intensity by short press(or felxibly you can long press the brightness button and realease until the brightness you like) and has 3 light modes (you can choose 2,3 or 4 lights on whatever you like) to meet different stages of plant-growing needs.
- [EFFICIENT RED/BLUE LED COMBINATION]: This LED lamp has grow lights made up of 80 efficient growing LEDs (52 red and 28 blue). It meets the conditions of plant growth without sunlight. The red light promotes photosynthesis, germination, bloom and fruit bearing. The blue light ensures the plants take in more energy through chlorophyll synthesis to help in germination. This professional grow lamp stimulates plant growth by multi-directional illumination.
- [VISIBLE QUALITY AND ADJUSTABLE]: The lamp’s LED grow lights have a USB connector which makes it convenient to connect in your office or home to USB or AC power plug (includes adapter). The 4-head light has a 360-degree flexible gooseneck made from quality tubing to keep a fixed position. The metal clamp allows the lamp to be placed anywhere in your home or office.
- [WIDELY USES]: Our grow lamp is suitable for indoor potted plants or an indoor garden. It accelerates the growth of various types of plants in every stage of development.
Tips for Growing Microgreens Hydroponic
Certain vital tips on how to grow microgreens indoors without soil are as follows:
- Grow them at an ideal temperature, neither too hot nor too cold.
- Ensure it receives enough light during the growing phase.
- Do not overwater or underwater the plants and also let the seed layer be thin.
- Keep the trays away from bugs.
- Prioritize the cleanliness of the trays, water, and all other ingredients.
We hope this article has helped you know how to grow microgreens without soil. Now that you know the exact procedure, when are you planning to start growing microgreens hydroponically? Do tell us!