Home Maker Guide created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
ARCHIE ADAMSEditor-in-Chief of the Home Maker Guide
Since we are talking here about low light plants, you might wonder what’s the deal – do succulents need light, or not? On that note, it is essential to point out that there are a plethora of low light succulents! However, even though the light isn’t vital for these plants to grow vigorously, you still need to provide a certain amount of daylight to them. Now, when this is established, let’s see what succulents are for low light.
What Is Succulents?
Succulent plants are plants that usually have thickened parts where they retain water. One of the most common types that almost everyone has seen at least once is, of course, cactus. But there are plenty of others as well.
What Are Succulents Good For?
- They grow in any climate;
- They brighten any type of home;
- They purify the air;
- They come in unique shapes and colors;
- They are easy to maintain.
Types of Indoor Succulents
Zebra Cactus (Haworthia attenuata)
|Origin: South Africa||Temperature: 75 -90 Fahrenheit|
|Name: Haworthiopsis attenuata||Soil: Cactus mix with good drainage|
|Family :||Flower color: White|
|Size: 6 inches|
|Light: Partial shade|
- Upright growth with tough rosette-shaped leaves; tolerates medium to bright light
- Compact, drought tolerant succulent with stiff, dark green leaves, broadly striped in white; fits into small spaces
- Comes in a modern white ceramic pot with a touch of gold, topped with river rock, plant may vary due to availability, environment and season
- Shallow-rooted, short stemmed; low-maintenance, tolerates weeks without water
- Grows 3-4 inches tall and 4 inches wide; Comes in a ceramic pot measuring 5 inches in diameter and 4.5 inches tall
Many people confuse this plant with Aloe, but Zebra cactus is slow-growing, and it stays small and doesn’t require lot of care. What makes them so popular house plants is that they fall into the category of succulents that don’t need light. If you are feeding this plant, make sure you are doing it occasionally and with a weak solution.
Foxtail Agave (Agave attenuata)
|Origin: Mexico||Name: Agave attenuata|
|Family: Araceae||Type: Cactus|
|Size: 4-5 inches||Hardiness zone: 9-12|
|Light: Partial shade||Water: Low water needs|
|Temperature: Moderate||Soil: Loam, sand|
|Soil PH: Acid, neutral||Flower color:|
It is a graceful plant with bluish-green foliage, which makes it a pretty nice ornamental household plant. Keep in mind that you should plant it in partial shade. It is drought-resistant and tolerant to salt, but it will appreciate it if you water it once a week, especially during summer months.
Holiday Cacti (Schlumbergera)
|Origin: Brazil||Name Schlumbergera sp.|
|Family: Cactaceae||Type: Cactus|
|Size: Up to 2 feet||Hardiness zone: 9-12|
|Light: Partial shade||Water: Moderate|
|Temperature: Warmer climates||Soil: Soil with sphagnum moss|
|Soil PH: 5.6 -6.5||Flower color: Pink, red|
- Homegrown by Hirt's Gardens
- Easy to grow. Blooms between Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Prefers morning sun or very bright, indirect light
- Water when dry
- Immediate Shipping. The plant you will receive is growing in a 4" pot
Originally, Holiday cacti are found in the jungles of Brazil, where they grow as epiphytic plants. Their roots anchor on very high branches of trees. Because of that, their stems are often thought to be leaves, although as cacti, they don’t have leaves.
Wax Plant (Hoya obovata)
|Origin: Eastern Asia and Australia||Name: Hoya obovata|
|Family: Apocynaceae||Type: Climber|
|Size: 4 inches to 10 feet||Hardiness zone: 8 -12|
|Light: Full to partial sun||Water: Average|
|Temperature: Moderate||Soil: Moist and well-drained|
|Soil PH:||Flower color: White|
- All of our listings have very representative pictures of what you would receive.
- This plant comes fully rooted in a 6" pot, ready to grow in and your beautiful home or your office.
- Enhance Your Environment
- California Tropicals
- Perfect gift for any occasion!
As we mentioned, it is an Asian native plant. It is also known as the Porcelain Flowers plant because it produces beautiful, fragrant flowers, with a waxy appearance that reminds of porcelain. You can grow them outdoors but also as hose plants.
Easy to Maintain
Tiger Aloe (Gonialoe Variegata)
|Origin: South Africa, Namibia||Name: Aloe Variegata|
|Family: Xanthorrhoeaceae||Size: 5 – 20 inches|
|Type: Perennial||Light: Medium|
|Watering:||Temperature: Minimum 41 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Soil PH: 6-7||Flow color: Orange|
Tiger aloe is a plant that easily adapts to indoor life. It thrives best at temperatures between 18 to 22 degrees Celsius. It does need light, but at the same time, too much exposure can damage it. Same as other Aloes, this one also doesn’t like humidity.
Snake Plant (Sansevieria trifasciata)
|Origin: West Africa||Name: Sansevieria trifasciata|
|Family: Asparagaceae||Type: Succulent|
|Size:2 feet 6inches||Hardiness zone: 10 -12|
|Light: Partial shade||Water: Dry to moderate|
|Temperature: 21-32 degrees Celsius||Soil: Well draining|
|Soil PH: 4.5 -8.5||Flower color: White|
- EASY TO GROW: Grow Snake Plant in any room with any light levels. Plants in bright light will grow faster, but plants in low light will stay strong and healthy as well, just growing slower.
- PLANTS IN THE HOME: One of the most popular plants for a modern and fashionable design scheme, plant Snake Plants in clean and contemporary containers to add a unique architectural element to any room. Average size as shipped: Height 12-14", Spread 10-12"
- TIPS FROM BURPEE: Snake Plants are extremely drought tolerant and only need to be watered when the top couple inches of soil have dried. Be careful to not overwater or allow the roots to be in standing water.
- BURPEE GUARANTEE: Burpee is 100% committed to providing our customers with the highest quality house plants. All of our house plant orders receive special growing care from our nursery to ensure healthy plants are packaged in good condition and shipped to each of our customers.
- WANT MORE: Be sure to visit the Burpee brand store for the full selection of our house plants.
Growing this type of low light succulents is relatively easy. They need to have access to direct sunlight. Water them from time to time, but be careful to not overdo it. If you want to add some nutrition, you can use a bit of general fertilizer.
Zanzibar Gem (Zamioculcas zamiifolia)
|Origin: Africa>||Name: Zamioculcas zamiifolia|
|Family : Araceae||Type: Herbaceous plant|
|Size: 45 -60cm||Hardiness zone:|
|Light: Low to bright indirect light||Water: Water when dry|
|Temperature: Moderate to high||Soil: Well-drained|
|Soil PH:||Flower color: Yellow, bronze|
- Beautiful and a nearly indestructible, very low maintenance, and easy to grow houseplant with oval shaped dark green glossy leaves
- Perfect for plant beginners, they thrive on neglect, grow in deep shade, ideal size for shelves, tabletops, sills, and counters in your home or office interior
- Survives in shade on patios, porches, decks, stoops, fire escapes, even planted outdoors; just move inside to avoid frost or prolonged temperature under 55 degrees
- This air purifier is in a 6" container measuring 13-14" Inches tall from the bottom of the pot to the top leaves; loves shade and low light
- Houseplants make your home more beautiful, purify your air, boost your mood, help you sleep, and relieve dryness by raising the humidity in your rooms
This plant is attractive as an indoor plant especially because of its wide, dark green leaves. Zanzibar gem deals well with neglect. This means that it can survive just fine even if you forget to water it or expose it to sunlight for a prolonged time.
Aloe (Aloe Vera)
|Origin: Arabian peninsula||Name: Aloe vera|
|Family: Asphodelaceae||Type: Succulent|
|Size: 24-39 inches||Hardiness zone: 8-11|
|Light: Partial shade||Water: Doesn’t require a lot|
|Temperature: Hardy to 0 degrees Celsius||Soil: Sandy|
|Soil PH: 6.1 -7.8||Flower color: Yellow, green|
Aloe Vera is one of the most known succulents that don’t need light. It is super easy to maintain. Aloe vera is also useful as a juice that you get from their leaves can be used to relieve pain from burns and scrapes, but you can apply it only topically.
Moderate Access to Light
Donkey’s Tail (Sedum morganianum)
|Origin: Mexico, Honduras||Family: Crassulaceae|
|Name: Sedum morganianum||Size: 24 inches|
|Type: Cactus||Light: Full day, partial shade|
|Hardiness zone: 11||Temperature: 41 to 47 degrees Fahrenheit||Watering: Medium watering||Soil PH: 6.1 -7.8|
|Soil: Well draining soil|
|Flower color: Pink, red|
- HEATED SHIPPING - SELECT STANDARD SHIPPING AT CHECKOUT. If you live in an area where temperatures will fall below freezing we highly suggest that you select standard shipping at checkout. Standard shipping items will ship via priority mail with a heat pack to ensure your plants do not freeze in transit. If temperatures in your delivery zip code will not be below freezing and standard shipping is selected your plant will ship via priority mail but will not have a heat package.
- Fully rooted living succulent plant in a 4 inch industry standard plastic growers pot with soil.
- Plants will arrive in individual gift packaging with cushioning.
- Plants may not be identical to the photos as they are live plants and grow differently throughout the year. Colorful plants will fade due to being in a dark box for several days but should brighten back up with the correct lighting and care. Plants may arrive taller, shorter, wider, narrower, thicker or less thick based on health, availability, season and readiness.
- Fat Plants is a California licensed grower and retail nursery.
Donkey’s tail, aka Burro’s tail, is low light cactus but a tricky plant to grow. Unlike plenty of other succulents that don’t need sunlight, this one needs quite a bit of water. If you want to keep the leaves attractive, you need to soak the soil thoroughly and water it again until the topsoil dries out.
Bear Paws (Cotyledon tomentosa)
|Origin: South Africa||Name: Cotyledon tomentosa|
|Family: Crassulaceae||Type: Shrub|
|Size: 12 inches||Hardiness zone|
|Light: Partial shade||Water: Moderate|
|Temperature: Minimum 41 degree Fahrenheit||Soil: Sandy, well-drained|
|Soil PH:||Flower color:|
Thinking about how much sunlight succulents need, we can say that this particular type needs moderate access to daylight, otherwise the leaves can burn. When it comes to soil, the best you can use is the mixture of succulent soil and drainage materials.
Here we are at the end of our list of low light succulents. Besides these, other plants don’t require a lot of light, such as Echeveria, Rhipsalis, Kalanchoe, Parodia haselbergii (Scarlet Ball Cactus ), Ponytail Palm (Beaucarnea Recurvata), Jade Plant, and Gasteria. In the end we would like to invite you to revisit us, and check out our text about best humidifier for plants.
- 1 What Is Succulents?
- 1.1 What Are Succulents Good For?
- 1.2 Types of Indoor Succulents
- 1.2.1 Ornamental
- 1.2.2 Easy to Maintain
- 1.2.3 Health Benefits
- 1.2.4 Moderate Access to Light
- 2 Conclusion