Home Maker Guide created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
ARCHIE ADAMSEditor-in-Chief of the Home Maker Guide
As summer arrived, many of us pressured to spend as much time as we could outside. If you are a homeowner or even if you are renting a house you certainly know how wonderful it is to spend hot summer nights in the yard. And you know that the effect is even better when you have a beautiful lawn – you can play games, make a picnic, walk barefoot, etc.
Some people may wonder what is the big deal with lawn/ why is everyone insisting that it has to be nice? The fact is that a healthy and wonderful lawn plays an important role in the entire curb appeal – if the grass is nicely cut and appears fresh and healthy it gives a whole new picture of the house. But, the importance of a healthy lawn, in reality, goes far beyond the aesthetics – it becomes a place of recreation and fun, relaxation, and so on. A green surface that has been well cared for also reduces the dust and pollen pollution both around and inside the house.
Having a healthy and beautiful lawn doesn’t require a lot of effort but there are some things, like regular grass cutting that you need to take care of. And for that, you need to have a good lawnmower.
Why Is Choosing the Right Size Lawn Mower Is Important?
Many, and maybe you are among them would think – there isn’t anything much to think about when you are choosing the lawn mower! It is a machine simply designed to cut grass and they are all the same, right? Well wrong. There are many reasons why you want to ask “What size mower do I need?” and we are going to explain some of them.
- If you choose the proper-sized machine you will spend less time working;
- It will be easier to work more challenging terrains;
- Many of them have additional features so it will be easier to tackle the obstacles;
- There is another reason why asking ”What size lawn mower do I need?”. If you are physically unfit and you have a less powerful mower that will require you to make more effort you might have some health problems;
- It is easier to work with it when you can find an adequate answer to the question of “How big a lawn mower do I need?”.
How to Measure Lawn Mower Deck Size?
When you are thinking “What size riding mower do I need?” or even for a standard one keep in mind that the most important thing you have to consider is deck size. You might be attracted to models that have bigger deck size but it doesn’t necessarily mean that they will work for you. If the lawn is small a machine with a big deck won’t be too good. That is why you must know the size of a lawn and choose a model accordingly.
If you want to measure the deck you just need to take the tape and run it front to back along the deck. After that just multiply the measure by two.
What Size Lawn Mower for 1 Acre and Less?
It greatly depends on the size even if we are talking about the small lawn. For example, for those that have less than one acre, you can finish the job perfectly with a reel or push the mower model. Reel model is quite simple to work with but it relies pretty much on your strength. If you run on obstacles then the push power is better. Another good option for small lawns is zero turn mower for 1 acre.
- G-MAX 40V 4Ah Li-Ion Battery (Model 29472) powers multiple tools for complete yard work system--includes 1-4Ah Battery and Charger
- Single lever 5-position height adjustment offers cutting height range from 1-1/4 inch to 3-3/8-inch for the best cut in all environments
- 2-in-1 feature offers rear bagging and mulching capability for multiple use. Cuts 400m2 on a single charge. Nice even cut for all grass types
- 16-Inch cutting deck allows you to maneuver through small to medium size yard more efficiently
- 6-inch front wheel and 7-inch rear wheel for easy maneuvering throughout your yard
What Size Lawn Mower for 3 Acres?
When you are considering “What size lawn mower do I need?” for 3 acres or more you should check professional models. Some of the features best lawn mower for 3 acres should have are powerful drive necessary if you go uphill, various speed settings and attachments. One model worth considering is a small tractor for small acreage.
- Your purchase includes One Craftsman M105 140cc Gas powered Push Lawn Mower, One bagger and engine oil
- Lawn Mower width – 21” | Weight – 65 lbs. | Minimum Cutting Height – 1.25” | Maximum Cutting Height – 3.75” | Front wheel size – 7” | Rear wheel size – 8” | Engine – 140cc Briggs and Stratton
- 3 in 1 Capabilities: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching
- Minor assembly is required but is easily accomplished with little to no mechanical experience
- Engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start. Unit is gas-powered and not self-propelled. Product folds for storage
What Size Lawn Mower for 5 and More Acres?
Okay, this is a bigger piece of land you have there and you might think – what can be the best lawn mower for 5 acres. Or even, what size mower for 10 acres should you buy? Generally, it isn’t very different from what we told you about the model for 3 acres. The main difference is the deck size – for such big surfaces you need a machine with a big deck size so you don’t spend hours cutting the grass. When wondering “What size tractor do I need for 5 acres?” check out the models with 48 inches deck size. These machines are wonderfully powerful and simple to operate with.
- 26 HP Kohler engine provides reliable startups and a max speed of 6.5 MPH
- A patent-pending park brake system automatically activates or deactivates as the steering levers are moved outward or inward
- Air induction mowing technology draws air from the top and bottom of the deck, improving grass and delivering a superior cut
- Reinforced steel stamped cutting deck is made of heavy flat-stock steel for maximum durability
- Clippings can be discharged, mulched or bagged (mulching kit and bagger attachment sold separately)
Many people don’t ask the question of “What size lawn mower do I need?” when considering to buy this machine because they don’t feel it makes the difference. However, as we tried to portray in this text, the quality of your lawn will greatly depend on the type of machine you work with. Also, it will be way more convenient for you to work with an adequate model. We hope that you liked this text and want to remind you that many others are waiting for you at homemakerguide.
What factors do you consider when choosing your lawn mower? Share your thoughts in the comments.